The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spence_LJS
Hallo :smile:

I'm applying after an English Lang/Lit degree and I'm 23, so we're pretty similar! I don't think it'll be a negative thing at all... I know lots of people applying who are late twenties or thirties, so I think we'll still be fairly youngish! Also, the course seems to favour mature students and I've been told it can sometimes be quite handy on placements.

I've applied to Leeds and Manchester too... but only submitted my app yesterday, so got a long wait!

How long does it take to receive your welcome pack and log-ins for Track??

Also - I went to the Manchester open day but they did say that the room we had the talk in isn't one of their usual lecture rooms. I think they said the usual rooms are pretty old... Other than that though, it seemed like a v organised course.

edit - I asked the lecturer at Manchester if they had many people on the undergrad course who already had degrees, and she said 'yes - about two thirds'!

You should get your login details within a week, but you can try logging in with your previous details too. They might have changed them because you've applied via UCAS before though :redface:
Original post by juliewho
You should get your login details within a week, but you can try logging in with your previous details too. They might have changed them because you've applied via UCAS before though :redface:

Yeah I tried logging in, but computer said noooo.

D'oh. Okay. I'll just have to be patient. Apparently they don't actually send it to the universities for 48 hours, so it's a bit soon for me to start checking it :smile:

Also - I heard UCAS only updates twice a day, so that'll stop me checking it every 5 minutes haha.

Nothing from Reading yet?? What on earth are they up to...
Yeah I tried logging in, but computer said noooo.

D'oh. Okay. I'll just have to be patient. Apparently they don't actually send it to the universities for 48 hours, so it's a bit soon for me to start checking it :smile:

Also - I heard UCAS only updates twice a day, so that'll stop me checking it every 5 minutes haha.

Nothing from Reading yet?? What on earth are they up to...

It might not have been processed yet but it doesn't usually take that long. :smile:

It definitely updates more than twice though - or atleast, email updates are sent to you telling you about changes at any time of the day. I tend to just check my emails because it's less hassle :tongue:

Nothing at all. I'm contemplating setting up an elaborate ruse involving emailing them from someone elses email to find out when :tongue: Are they definitely doing questionnaires this year? It doesnt say anything on their course page :frown:
It might not have been processed yet but it doesn't usually take that long. :smile:

It definitely updates more than twice though - or atleast, email updates are sent to you telling you about changes at any time of the day. I tend to just check my emails because it's less hassle :tongue:

Nothing at all. I'm contemplating setting up an elaborate ruse involving emailing them from someone elses email to find out when :tongue: Are they definitely doing questionnaires this year? It doesnt say anything on their course page :frown:

Yeah at their open day they said they definitely are. Emailing them might be a good idea :smile: Just set up a free hotmail email address if you don't want to use your own! Haha :tongue:
Yeah at their open day they said they definitely are. Emailing them might be a good idea :smile: Just set up a free hotmail email address if you don't want to use your own! Haha :tongue:

I don't want to make it look like i'm impatient or pushy :tongue: and I have a feeling i'd be given a stock answer like "we send them out in batches" blah. If I haven't heard by Friday I definitely will :smile:

edit: plus they might just have changed it for this year anyway
Reply 985
Original post by dibdobmichaela
Yeh, MCR seems really cool and modern, my cousins just started a biochemistry degree there and she loves it! I studied in Bangor, didn't know what I wanted to do to begin with, just loved language so thought this would be a good choice as it was quite diverse; journalism, teaching, forensics etc, turns out my boyfriends aunty is a SaLT and I went to do some work ex with her and loved it! I didn't do amazing in my ALevels, messed about a bit in 6th form so only got 2 ALevels in Eng lit and bio, concerned that will be against my app, I got a 2:1 in linguistics degree so hopefully they'll look at that and ignore the rest :s-smilie: !!!!!!!

Where do you wana go? I'd love to go to Leeds too- such a good city!! Plus the course content is really interesting.

Michaela

yeaaah, it's lovely and big, but still feels kinda cosy (if that makes sense? haha) ohh right cool, well that's a really good degree to do before SLT aint it? you'll have a ton of background knowledge for some of the modules :smile: well as long as you're passionate about SLT, which you seem to be lol, then I don't think you should have a problem...well done with the 2:1, that's fab! :biggrin: I really can't make up my mind - newcastle and manchester are definitely my favourite uni's out of the one's i've applied to though. is manchester your favourite?

I spoke to the admissions tutor when I wen't on a campus tour last week and she said they are :smile:
Original post by laureneb10
I spoke to the admissions tutor when I wen't on a campus tour last week and she said they are :smile:

Did she say when? I'm so impatient! :smile:
Did she say when? I'm so impatient! :smile:

nope just said that they take your personal statement, grades, reference and questionnaire and then grade it all and basically those with the best mark gets a place :/ i'm so scared!
I got an offer from UWIC!!! Wooooooo :biggrin: :biggrin: so happy! :tongue:
Original post by laureneb10
nope just said that they take your personal statement, grades, reference and questionnaire and then grade it all and basically those with the best mark gets a place :/ i'm so scared!

My reference would have good marks then, it was so so lovely! The rest of my application is a bit meh :tongue: Don't be scared - i'm sure you'll get a place somewhere :smile:
Original post by hannahmurph

Wow, well done! Thats amazing they got back so fast :biggrin: You're officially the first offer too!
Wow, well done! Thats amazing they got back so fast :biggrin: You're officially the first offer too!

Awh thanks! Have you applied there too?
Awh thanks! Have you applied there too?

No, they were very strict with their GCSE foreign language requirement when I emailed them :frown:

Someone should start up a list of offers :smile:
No, they were very strict with their GCSE foreign language requirement when I emailed them :frown:

Someone should start up a list of offers :smile:

Oh no what a pain! It's annoying how you don't realise these things until they are needed :frown: Yeah definitely! :smile:
Oh no what a pain! It's annoying how you don't realise these things until they are needed :frown: Yeah definitely! :smile:

I would have loved to take one but my GCSE school didn't run them, so it's not even actually my fault, but they said that i'd be at a disadvantage :frown:
I would have loved to take one but my GCSE school didn't run them, so it's not even actually my fault, but they said that i'd be at a disadvantage :frown:

Well I'm sure you'll be happy at whatever uni you end up in anyway :smile: and i suppose if the course needs the students to have a language background or they'd find it too difficult then you might not have enjoyed it as much which would be a shame! What's your top choice?
Well I'm sure you'll be happy at whatever uni you end up in anyway :smile: and i suppose if the course needs the students to have a language background or they'd find it too difficult then you might not have enjoyed it as much which would be a shame! What's your top choice?

I suppose so, I think it's because in Wales you have to take a second language and presumably they have a lot of welsh applicants. Just more things to differentiate between people really :tongue: I don't mind really, it's ridiculously difficult to get to Cardiff from where I live.

I love all my choices! Maybe Reading not as much as the rest but only because it's really similar to where I live. I loved Newcastle and Sheffield, but I haven't been able to visit UEA or Manchester properly yet and they look amazing on paper too :smile: Is UWIC your first choice?
Reply 998

big congratulations! =D
'an SLT' or 'a SLT'? I never know!

Quick Reply

Latest