The Student Room Group

Girl dies after being forced to run

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by illusionz

When did I ever say that would not be the case? It is clearly not murder, but it is manslaughter.

Dude shut up you clearly have no idea. You are quoting English law to say why it is not murder, and in doing that.. you are doing it badly too :facepalm2:
Reply 21
i believe low levels of electrolytes (K and Na) and sugar can lead to seizures. seizures are just imbalances in brain electrical activity. since charged irons of K and Na are required for electrical activity, this leads me to believe that without adequate supply of said ions, brain activity can be interrupted and lead to seizures.
Original post by Tommyjw
Making a small girl run for 3 hours as direct punishment means no harm?

I think you need to stop talking.

Good for you.

Next time you spout some ill informed rubbish at me please make sure it's correct. Felony murder means an involuntary killing which took place during another felony. Making someone run around as a punishment is not a felony.

For a killing to count as murder intent is needed, and this intent is quite clearly not intent to cause GBH/kill. America also has voluntary/involuntary manslaughter, the latter of which fits the description of this crime the best.

You then also come to the same conclusion as me during your rant - that they will probably be tried for manslaughter.

Bizarre.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
They could have at least let her drink water.
Reply 24
Good for you.

Next time you spout some ill informed rubbish at me please make sure it's correct. Felony murder means an involuntary killing which took place during another felony. Making someone run around as a punishment is not a felony.

For a killing to count as murder intent is needed, and this intent is quite clearly not intent to cause GBH/kill.

You then also come to the same conclusion as me during your rant - that they will probably be tried for manslaughter.

Bizarre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule

" First, when an offender kills accidentally or without specific intent to kill in the course of an applicable felony, what might have been manslaughter is escalated to murder"

Your argument is really pathetic. And nowhere is intent needed.

It is not 'making someone run. How embarrassingly wrong. It is extreme punishment that could easily direct other punishment from the authorities for such an action.

Learn before speaking.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
I was expecting the article to be about a morbidly obese girl dying from a heart attack in PE.....
But yeah, the parents should get a severe punishment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Infallible
"Deputies were told the girl was made to run after lying to her grandmother, 46-year-old Joyce Hardin Garrard, about having eaten the candy, Barton said."

A grandmother at 37 years old. That is something.

The story is tragic though.

My boyfriend's mum is about to become a gran at 35. It's not good really but not as rare as it might seem.

Nothing excuses child cruelty, I hope they get a very long time in prison for this.
Original post by Tommyjw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule

Learn before speaking, you just embarrassed yourself.

" First, when an offender kills accidentally or without specific intent to kill in the course of an applicable felony, what might have been manslaughter is escalated to murder"

The extreme punishment can easily be seen as a felony. Thus, murder.

Applicable felony. Good luck arguing how making someone run around as a punishment is an applicable felony to escalate manslaughter to murder.

I think your first sentance is best applied to yourself.

Also quoting wikipedia in a legal debate shows how little you know about the subject.

For first/secondary degree murder intent is needed. Voluntary/involuntary manslaughter are not counted as murder even though the first requires intent of sorts. Felony murder is often classed as first degree but requires an applicable felony, which is not the case here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Applicable felony. Good luck arguing how making someone run around as a punishment is an applicable felony to escalate manslaughter to murder.

/yawn

Again, simplyifing things in order to support your fail of an argument.

IF i beat someone to near death, am i 'Just giving them a punch'? No. Making a 9 year old for 3 hours is not just 'telling her to run'

I know plenty about the subject, you clearly dont, given you have been proven wrong many times. Including that this is not English law, including that intent is not needed.
Original post by Tommyjw
/yawn

IF i beat someone to near death, am i 'Just giving them a punch'? No. Making a 9 year old for 3 hours is not just 'telling her to run'

I know plenty about the subject, you clearly dont, given you have been proven wrong many times. Including that this is not English law, including that intent is not needed.

i) absurd comparison
ii) claiming superior knowledge with no evidence
iii) using arguments already used which are incorrect
iv) conveniently ignoring relevant facts presented to you

Standard moron know-it-all on the internet. I'm off to the pub, no point arguing with someone as ignorant as you.
Reply 30
Original post by Ilyas
if only TTTB had grandparents like that.

ahahaha
Reply 31
Original post by Tommyjw
/yawn

Hmm this is a good point. This hardly classifies as punishment...it can even be likened to torture.
All this for eating a CANDY BAR? What is wrong with these people! This is blatant child abuse and they should be locked up for manslaughter at least.
Reply 33
i) absurd comparison

Perfectly valid. Care to actual reasn this? Of course not, you just spout things with no facts. Making a young girl run for 3 hours is not just an average parental punishment.
Reply 34
Oh god...that was 3 HOURS!!! Even in a marathon run, they have water point setup to hydrate the runners.
Yes, massive drops in your blood sodium over a short period of time causes your brain to swell and then you can have seizures and die.
Original post by Infallible

A grandmother at 37 years old. That is something.

why?
Reply 37
Original post by Omida
Most people would struggle to run 3 hours non stop, let alone in the blazing Australian sun.

Terrible.

Alabama is in America.
Reply 38
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
why?

It's extremely young.
Utterly tragic. Poor girl :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest