The Student Room Group

How did you get your current job?

I got laid off in early January from my job. I'm currently applying for on average 2-3 jobs a week, but don't feel i'm doing enough ATM. Has anyone got any ideas?
Reply 1
I'm unemployed, so I got that job by...not applying for any jobs.

As for your situation, I don't think there's much more you can do than just what you're doing already. Maybe get someone to look over your CV, cover letters, interview technique etc. (I'm not saying they're bad, for all I know you might have the most badass CV ever, but it never hurts to get further advice).
Reply 2
Original post by geetar
I'm unemployed, so I got that job by...not applying for any jobs.

As for your situation, I don't think there's much more you can do than just what you're doing already. Maybe get someone to look over your CV, cover letters, interview technique etc. (I'm not saying they're bad, for all I know you might have the most badass CV ever, but it never hurts to get further advice).

I'm open to any advice. I've even just applied for KFC and McD's. I feel I have decent experience too, having worked in Factories, retail/warehouse and a call centre
Are there jobs going at these places? I presume you've handed your CV in everywhere? Do you know anybody with a job that might be able to get you one? :smile: I took over my cousins old job and with my second job we knew the boss - contacts always help? If not, it sounds like you're doing loads already! I'm sure something will come up :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by EllaBella<3
Are there jobs going at these places? I presume you've handed your CV in everywhere? Do you know anybody with a job that might be able to get you one? :smile: I took over my cousins old job and with my second job we knew the boss - contacts always help? If not, it sounds like you're doing loads already! I'm sure something will come up :smile:

I printed about 100 CV's off about two months ago and I've been handing them when out I get a chance, down to the last few now.

I been looking at agency work, but a few friends have done this and had few weeks work and then laid off and its taken then 3 or 4 weeks to sort JSL out again.
I was just thinking today that I have got all my previous jobs except one on Gumtree lol Obviously I don't have my dream job yet but low paid jobs are better than the dole. The one I didn't get on Gumtree was by handing out CVs to shops.

I got sacked Monday from a job in a pub. I was there for 7 months but I knew I was completely useless at it, it's just not for me. Eventually my boss just said she'd have to let me go - apparently I 'don't have the initiative for bar work' lol Which I know, I don't at all. I was relieved on Monday but I knew the panic would set in quick without a job. I had an interview on Wednesday (applied for it a few weeks ago) and I've been applying for everything and anything since. I got a call today and have another interview on Tuesday which sounds like it's more 'You have the job and we'll sort out the paperwork and have an induction Thursday' :smile: Fingers crossed. Again, it was advertised on Gumtree! I know there can be spam on it but it seems lucky for me!

I printed off some to hand out too but I couldn't see anywhere with vacancy notices. Sometimes I will hand them into places that aren't advertising for staff which I will start to do if I don't get this job.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Sprockette
I was just thinking today that I have got all my previous jobs except one on Gumtree lol Obviously I don't have my dream job yet but low paid jobs are better than the dole. The one I didn't get on Gumtree was by handing out CVs to shops.

I got sacked Monday from a job in a pub. I was there for 7 months but I knew I was completely useless at it, it's just not for me. Eventually my boss just said she'd have to let me go - apparently I 'don't have the initiative for bar work' lol Which I know, I don't at all. I was relieved on Monday but I knew the panic would set in quick without a job. I had an interview on Wednesday (applied for it a few weeks ago) and I've been applying for everything and anything since. I got a call today and have another interview on Tuesday which sounds like it's more 'You have the job and we'll sort out the paperwork and have an induction Thursday' :smile: Fingers crossed. Again, it was advertised on Gumtree! I know there can be spam on it but it seems lucky for me!

I printed off some to hand out too but I couldn't see anywhere with vacancy notices. Sometimes I will hand them into places that aren't advertising for staff which I will start to do if I don't get this job.

Thanks, never even thought about Gumtree. I found a couple that suit and i'm going to ring tomorrow, thanks
Reply 7
My current job is the only one I got that was advertised for. The other ones I just went in with my CV and asked if they needed anyone, and happened to be there at the right time.

S1 jobs is a pretty good site, from what I've heard, as is Gumtree; my flatmate got a job from there.
Original post by TheCasual
Thanks, never even thought about Gumtree. I found a couple that suit and i'm going to ring tomorrow, thanks

Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by caiitlinz
My current job is the only one I got that was advertised for. The other ones I just went in with my CV and asked if they needed anyone, and happened to be there at the right time.

S1 jobs is a pretty good site, from what I've heard, as is Gumtree; my flatmate got a job from there.

I think most jobs are though connections.
Reply 10
apply apply apply. I went from no job to rejecting an interview because i'd already accepted my current job. That was a rather good day... After about a month a half of solid looking/applying everyday. When i think back, i actually got pretty lucky... but then again, not really. Applying/looking EVERY SINGLE DAY, more like forced luck. There's a saying which I think really applies to job hunting. "The harder i work, the luckier i get".
Reply 11
Original post by Slapstick
apply apply apply. I went from no job to rejecting an interview because i'd already accepted my current job. That was a rather good day... After about a month a half of solid looking/applying everyday. When i think back, i actually got pretty lucky... but then again, not really. Applying/looking EVERY SINGLE DAY, more like forced luck. There's a saying which I think really applies to job hunting. "The harder i work, the luckier i get".

I agree with you, that you make your own luck. My problem is i'm finding it hard to find jobs jobs that suit my experience and skills. I'm still applying for them though.
I'm open to any advice. I've even just applied for KFC and McD's. I feel I have decent experience too, having worked in Factories, retail/warehouse and a call centre

Do any of the places you've worked at previously have other stores nearby? Perhaps you could see if there are any vacancies, and put lots of emphasis on the fact that you've worked for the company before.

That's how I got my job, I'd been away from the company for a few years, but as soon as I mentioned I'd worked for them before, everything changed and the manager went from saying they had no vacancies, to saying that they'd make me one. I'm not saying that's what happens all the time, but it's worth a try.
Reply 13
I got laid off in early January from my job. I'm currently applying for on average 2-3 jobs a week, but don't feel i'm doing enough ATM. Has anyone got any ideas?

I setup 200 email addresses, then checked the saisnburys jobs website every 5 hours until there was a vacancy in my area as you have to live within 5 miles for roles without experience needed, then i applied and provided my contact info, you will need a new login id for every application because they will just blacklist you after one failed attempt, then once you receive interview schedule it straight away because they will cut you off after a while, then once i had the interview i researched and memorised dozens of facts about them, first to use self service, sell fair trade etc..

Then at the interview i came in early and saw the test others were taking, i told the manager i dont think it would be right for me to take this test as i would have an unfair advantage and he hired me on the spot because of good character or some sh1te
(edited 12 years ago)
I got mine through Brook Street (permanent), very satisfied!
I got mine through a job agency (Permanent).
Reply 16
I used to hand out my CV like leaflets. It didn't help a lot though, most of the employers thought I am advertising a product. I got my job through contacts.
Through a local recruitment agency aimed at 16-19 year olds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending