The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phil90974
Since uni's now have to have reasons for charging the 9000, so reaching out to people in the community from disadvantaged backgrounds, do you think it might help with UCAS applications if you are from somewhere like that as it helps them meet any requirements they need to. Just a thought...

You'll be able to apply with CSAS, possibly, if you're applying to Cambridge. Elsewhere, not as far as I know, and there shouldn't be much difference either way. Applying with CSAS guarantees an interview at Cambridge, unless your results are very out of sync with Cambridge standard.
Reply 381
Original post by LaydurrDude
Hey, i only found about this scheme a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has applied/going to apply/have participated in the summer school?

I'm considering applying for medicine. Bad choice i know with all the competition... but i'm a bit weary in applying. Not sure about this whole concept of being on my own and i'd have to fly over on my own too :frown:

Replies and what not would be much appreciated :smile:

I went to the Bristol one last year - loved it. There's a whole amalgam of people there, and surprisingly really clicked with some people; I have their numbers and things. Brilliant scheme, so much fun, decent food, work is interesting. I applied half an hour before the deadline, so it doesn't particularly matter.

Personally, I embraced the independence. It's brilliant, and really enticed me further into applying for university.

Apply and you won't regret it.
Reply 382
Rejected - didnt' meet most of the criteria anyway so I was kind of expecting it, would have been nice to get on :L
Reply 383
Original post by Part A
Rejected - didnt' meet most of the criteria anyway so I was kind of expecting it, would have been nice to get on :L

Unlucky :frown:

Which uni?
Reply 384
Original post by iCiaran
Unlucky :frown:

Which uni?

Bristol - had 160 places for 800 applicants and I only met 2-3 of the criteria really. Ah well, how'd you get on?
Reply 385
Original post by Part A
Bristol - had 160 places for 800 applicants and I only met 2-3 of the criteria really. Ah well, how'd you get on?

Haven't found out yet, Bristol seem to be the only uni so far which has sent out the letters... I applied to cambridge as well so I'd imagine even more people will have applied there...
Original post by kateeeeey
If you go on this page:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/afteryouapply/assessment/contextual-data/

then go on 'Educational Indicators' (the PDF File) it has a list of schools/colleges that would be flagged for low GCSE/A Level scores :smile: hope that helps!

I meet all of them apart from 5 I think, cause I go to a grammar school :smile:

Wow, thanks for posting that. Do you know that's definitely what they use? If so, I meet one more than I thought I did (1, 2, 4, 5, 6) - fingers crossed! Still don't have much hope though, as I'd imagine English is mega competitive.

EDIT: nevermind, I was reading for the school above mine by mistake so I'm back to the 4 :sad: They definitely won't take me if I can't read a table :colondollar:
EDIT2: We must be just on the cusp for A levels though, because the other local high school has a flag for that and I remember our point score was pretty much identical. Meh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Part A

I haven't actually got any replies yet, odd considering i fall into 4 or 5 of the criteria. That being said i check my mail once every 4 or 5 days so imma check it now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 388
Got rejected from bristol uni yesterday, oh well still going on the chemLab trip in June.
Reply 389
Original post by Rainingshame
I haven't actually got any replies yet, odd considering i fall into 4 or 5 of the criteria. That being said i check my mail once evrey 4 or 5 days so imma check it now.

I check everyday....i dnt think they will email us...it will be by letter so i check that everyday as well as email just incase....10 days to go worst case scenario!! :smile:
Reply 390
Original post by Luppy021
Got rejected from bristol uni yesterday, oh well still going on the chemLab trip in June.

awww unlucky...how many criteria did you meet?
Original post by kitkat19

I check everyday....i dnt think they will email us...it will be by letter so i check that everyday as well as email just incase....10 days to go worst case scenario!! :smile:

Odd really, can you remember what the criteria are? the ones on the website show i fulfill all of them. My area is a rank 5 area, i go to a flagged school, will be first generation in uni, got 10 A*/As at GCSE, take relevant subjects and i turn 18 in September. Must be because i applied to the Cambridge one. Oh well
Reply 392
Odd really, can you remember what the criteria are? the ones on the website show i fulfill all of them. My area is a rank 5 area, i go to a flagged school, will be first generation in uni, got 10 A*/As at GCSE, take relevant subjects and i turn 18 in September. Must be because i applied to the Cambridge one. Oh well

Yeah, they are the criteria and well done you meet all of them...yeah only Bristol have sent out replies but it shouldn't be too long before the cambridge ones come out..fingers crossed I get in...i meet 5/6 just my neighbourhood has a high rank
Reply 393
Original post by Kalliope
Wow, thanks for posting that. Do you know that's definitely what they use? If so, I meet one more than I thought I did (1, 2, 4, 5, 6) - fingers crossed! Still don't have much hope though, as I'd imagine English is mega competitive.

EDIT: nevermind, I was reading for the school above mine by mistake so I'm back to the 4 :sad: They definitely won't take me if I can't read a table :colondollar:
EDIT2: We must be just on the cusp for A levels though, because the other local high school has a flag for that and I remember our point score was pretty much identical. Meh.

Not sure it's the exact one they use unless there's only one standard list, but it must be a pretty accurate indicator - they probably have something similar :smile: so have you applied for English at Cambridge? Good luck, hopefully they let us all know soooooon! :smile:
Reply 394
If you go on this page:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/afteryouapply/assessment/contextual-data/

then go on 'Educational Indicators' (the PDF File) it has a list of schools/colleges that would be flagged for low GCSE/A Level scores :smile: hope that helps!

I meet all of them apart from 5 I think, cause I go to a grammar school :smile:

Thanks for this! Just confirmed my school is flagged :smile:
Yeah, they are the criteria and well done you meet all of them...yeah only Bristol have sent out replies but it shouldn't be too long before the cambridge ones come out..fingers crossed I get in...i meet 5/6 just my neighbourhood has a high rank

What uni and what subject you go for?
Reply 396
Original post by Gcayte
Thanks for this! Just confirmed my school is flagged :smile:

No problemo :smile: hopefully Cambridge have the same list as Manchester, I can't see why there would be any difference though :smile:
Reply 397
No problemo :smile: hopefully Cambridge have the same list as Manchester, I can't see why there would be any difference though :smile:

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine them to each have different ones, would take a lot of time I imagine :tongue:
Reply 398

awww unlucky...how many criteria did you meet?

I think it was four if not three, was worth a try though
Reply 399
What uni and what subject you go for?

Cambridge for maths <3

And you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending