The Student Room Group

Contrasting subjects?!

Hi,

I was just wondering whether Economics would count as a contrasting subject when applying for medicine at universities like UCL for example? I am choosing my A Levels and was wondering whether this would count as a contrasting subject to the rest of my options (Biology, Chemistry, Maths).

Reply 1
Original post by Dandaman9999
Hi,

I was just wondering whether Economics would count as a contrasting subject when applying for medicine at universities like UCL for example? I am choosing my A Levels and was wondering whether this would count as a contrasting subject to the rest of my options (Biology, Chemistry, Maths).

It would bear no significance in your application. As long as you get an A in Chemistry and Biology, you will have met the minimum requirements of most medical schools. Some universities will require you to get an A in a 4th AS level subject tho, so you should bear that in mind. Additionally, maths is not a required subject for medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by Vulpes
It would bear no significance in your application. As long as you get an A in Chemistry and Biology, you will have met the minimum requirements of most medical schools. Some universities will require you to get an A in a 4th AS level subject tho, so you should bear that in mind. Additionally, maths is not a required subject for medicine.

I know most of that already, but I appreciate your help.

What my main question was would economics be considering as a subject that contrasts to the ones that I chose?

I've been told different things by different people and some say that this is getting a bit too close to maths for it to be contrasting. Just a minor issue, nothing much!

Quick Reply

Latest