The Student Room Group

Natwest 16-25 railcard

I'd really like the 16-25 railcard that Natwest customers get when they open a student account, but it's only available to existing customers. I thought I might be sneaky and open a select account now and then a student account in about a month's time so I get the railcard, would that work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by XxelliexX
I'd really like the 16-25 railcard that Natwest customers get when they open a student account, but it's only available to existing customers. I thought I might be sneaky and open a select account now and then a student account in about a month's time so I get the railcard, would that work?

Hi, I think you can only get it, if youve had a natwest account since June 2011 or something, cos i wanted to do that, but couldnt as I didnt have an existing account... :frown: x
Reply 2
Original post by 12sophie
Hi, I think you can only get it, if youve had a natwest account since June 2011 or something, cos i wanted to do that, but couldnt as I didnt have an existing account... :frown: x

Yeah, I realised after I made this thread </3
Damn my stupid barclays account!
I guess we'll have to pay the 28 pounds a year then :frown: Why did natwest stop giving it to new people anyway? :frown:
Reply 3
It's still work shopping around with the other banks, some of them give you money for transferring your current account which you could then use for your railcard!
Original post by XxelliexX
Yeah, I realised after I made this thread </3
Damn my stupid barclays account!
I guess we'll have to pay the 28 pounds a year then :frown: Why did natwest stop giving it to new people anyway? :frown:

If you buy the 3 year one (only available online) like I did it works out at just over £21 a year. Even though I come from the London commuter belt and go to uni in London so have very cheap train tickets anyway, it very quickly paid for itself - especially when I started visiting friends at uni.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/buy-16-25-railcard
Reply 5
It's a shame that you can't get one - I was lucky and already had a Natwest account. The railcard (even though my tickets are fairly cheap) has saved me LOTS of money. Even if you have to pay for it, it's well worth it :smile:
If you're going to a university some distance away from home, or just travel by train a lot, the railcard will pay for itself in terms of the money you'll save, so still worth getting.
Reply 7
Original post by Kaytti
It's a shame that you can't get one - I was lucky and already had a Natwest account. The railcard (even though my tickets are fairly cheap) has saved me LOTS of money. Even if you have to pay for it, it's well worth it :smile:

Hi, is the railcard free for existing customers? I've been with them since 2009/2010.
Reply 8
Original post by Jarvxs
Hi, is the railcard free for existing customers? I've been with them since 2009/2010.

If you then sign up for a student account I think so yes. Best thing to do is ask them when you set it up.
Original post by Kaytti
If you then sign up for a student account I think so yes. Best thing to do is ask them when you set it up.

I made a student account last summer for uni and was given the railcard because I have been with Natwest for a long time. When and how do we get the railcard for the second year because the one I have now expires in July I believe.

OP buy the card if it's unable to you for free, I save roughly £9 a week, so I would definitely buy one myself if I wasn't with Natwest:smile:

It's a shame that it doesn't work in the early hours of the day though, I have never understood why they assume our discount shouldn't be allowed in the morning.
Was that because you hadn't been with Natwest long enough?
Original post by pinda.college
I made a student account last summer for uni and was given the railcard because I have been with Natwest for a long time. When and how do we get the railcard for the second year because the one I have now expires in July I believe.

OP buy the card if it's unable to you for free, I save roughly £9 a week, so I would definitely buy one myself if I wasn't with Natwest:smile:

It's a shame that it doesn't work in the early hours of the day though, I have never understood why they assume our discount shouldn't be allowed in the morning.

They just post the new one out to you. You don't need to do anything.
Original post by hothedgehog
They just post the new one out to you. You don't need to do anything.

Oh really, that's nice to know:smile: Thanks for replying.

You should chase it up again, if you are entitled to one then I don't see why they can't help you. It's a great money saver and is defo worth the trouble.
The manager of my local firm is my training partner at the gym so I always get to see him if I have any problems:biggrin: Thus getting the railcard was an easy process. Have you tried bringing the matter up with the manager? Book an appointment with them if you haven't and I'm sure they'd be willing to help (they were once students, so will appreciate how helpful a RC is).
LOL,

I remember once (when I was at TSB) I walked into my local branch and needed some assistance. The women behind the counter stared at me as if I was a pesant, soon as she saw my account balance I was in the manager's office disccusing ISA accounts:facepalm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah they did that to my parents once no ide why. They've been ok with me though and my sister got her railcard no problem but I do think they're only good if you don't have any money problems.
Hahaha:biggrin:
Reply 17

I'm guessing we can log on online like last time and sort it out. Not that sure actually.
Original post by Kaytti
I'm guessing we can log on online like last time and sort it out. Not that sure actually.

Somone already responded to my query on the first page, they said it gets delivered to you, no need to do anything:smile:
Reply 19
Somone already responded to my query on the first page, they said it gets delivered to you, no need to do anything:smile:

Fabulous! Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending