The Student Room Group

Most over-rated goal in football history

David Beckham's fortunate hoof against Wimbledon. Why the hell do the media go on about this as some sort of historic moment. It was just a lucky punt FFS.

What do you think is the most over-rated goal in football history? I think Carlos Alberto's goal in 1970 for Brazil is over-rated as well. Barca/Bilbao etc score goals like that every week.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rooney's overhead against Man City. It came off his shin, which makes it a complete fluke, it may look spectacular, but that doesn't matter.
A lot of ridiculous hit-and-hope shots that look spectacular when they actually go in but look like **** when they go hideously over the bar 90% of the time.
Reply 3
Ronaldinho lobbing Seaman from a 40 yard free kick

(It was a miss-hit cross)
Reply 4
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
It was just a lucky punt FFS.

I beg to differ

David Beckham was/is famous for his amazing pinpoint ability with all range of free kicks, passes and crosses. This was essentially one of those, but into the goal.

I would think its very logical to assume that, wind permitting, a player such as Beckham could get the ball in the net from that position very often, much more often than some of the average 'amazing long shot goals' you see.

There was no 'punt' about it, in any sense of the word. Afterall, it differs because it isnt a shot that needs to go in the corner past the keeper and around a defender, for example, its a simple long range lob, much like the long range asses he and others are world class at.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Rooney's goal vs City, those are scored nearly every week.
Reply 6
Rooney's vs City. I think every team in the PL has scored an equal or better one this year, and even Coates' overheard one was more accurately hit.

And Crouchy scores overheads all the time! Not to mention that one vs City this year... Wow!
Reply 7
Rooney's vs city is the most overrated goal.
Probably more, but that is overrated like ****. People were going on like it was man united's best ever goal when ronaldo scores from 40 yards for no reason.
zidane at hampden, people have said its the best volley ever. ive seen countless better. robben has scored a carbon copy of that goal, it was meh
Reply 9
Original post by Scottish :)
zidane at hampden, people have said its the best volley ever. ive seen countless better. robben has scored a carbon copy of that goal, it was meh

Robben has scored a Champions League winning goal with a ridiculously good volley on his weaker foot? Does Robben even have a right foot?

If there's one goal you're going to call overrated, it definitely isn't that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Emile Heskey's goal, ohh wait when was this ???
Reply 11
SMH u bunch of couch potatoes, bet some of you saying these goals are easy have never kicked a ball before, bunch of Fifa / Football manager fanboys, about Becks goal was a "punt" smh
Reply 12
Original post by Stu Laverty
A lot of ridiculous hit-and-hope shots that look spectacular when they actually go in but look like **** when they go hideously over the bar 90% of the time.

Pretty much. You see these goals every game, but 90% of them result in groaning and annoyance from the stands. There's rarely anything more aesthetically pleasing in football than a superbly worked team move that ends in a goal, or something resulting from clear individual brilliance (Messi is obvious but kind of perfect for an example of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Z7nuxzAjU).
Reply 13
I agree with the OP about Bex goal. Also David Bentleys long punt against Arsenal for Spurs. I don't like goals that are just fluke shots from long range. Anybody can score from X amount of range if they do it enough.

For me great goals either involve lots of passing and movement or a great amount of first touch technique like Bergkamp against Newcastle.
Im suprised no one has said hand of god...
Reply 15
Original post by Frodo Baggins

I wont even acknowledge that was a 'goal'.
Reply 16
Original post by Dioufy
SMH u bunch of couch potatoes, bet some of you saying these goals are easy have never kicked a ball before, bunch of Fifa / Football manager fanboys, about Becks goal was a "punt" smh

Wat?

So now fans, just because they don't play professional sport, aren't allowed to comment on it?

Reply 17
Original post by Frodo Baggins

No one rates that goal.
Rooney's overhead kick, and the Di Canio volley. Granted its very difficult to score a volley like that but its not Goal of the Decade stuff, as is regularly claimed.
Reply 19
Original post by Arcanine
Wat?

So now fans, just because they don't play professional sport, aren't allowed to comment on it?

It's kinda difficult to judge how hard it is to score something like Beckham's goal if you've never played in a competitive football match. Professional level's got nothing to do with it - goals like that are bloody hard to score in a **** Sunday league, let alone any higher level.

Quick Reply

Latest