The Student Room Group

Bocconi BIEMF or York PPE??

Hi :smile:

I have just been accepted at Bocconi (unconditional offer) for the International Economics, Management and Finance, but I've also got a conditional offer from York for PPE. At York I have seen I can take the "Econometrics route" which will allow me to take economics as a Master degree later on, since I am mostly interested in Economics (but also in politics and philosophy of course).

Which one is the best/most internationally recognised?Would I lose my English if I chose to go back to Italy?And I know students' life in York should be quite fun..but what about at Bocconi?

Please tell me whatever you know, as I really cannot make my mind up :frown:
Thank you sooo much!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Purely based on international reputation, Bocconi is miles ahead.
Reply 2
ok thanks...because I have heard that the BIEMF is not as "high quality" because the professors are not English mother tongue and because there are people whose English is not good enough...:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Does anyone know if applying for Bocconi in last term in October gives any changes of being admitted? They say on their website that the number of places is really limited and so on.
Reply 4
Original post by shake_it
Does anyone know if applying for Bocconi in last term in October gives any changes of being admitted? They say on their website that the number of places is really limited and so on.

Hi, apparently in October there are 10% of places left for those who apply later..so maybe it's worth a try?for what course do you want to apply for?
Reply 5
Original post by Frenchous
Purely based on international reputation, Bocconi is miles ahead.

ok thanks...because I have heard that the BIEMF is not as "high quality" because the professors are not English mother tongue and because there are people whose English is not good enough...:s-smilie:
Reply 6
York.

For PPE is very well renowned.
Reply 7
Original post by dianaro
Hi, apparently in October there are 10% of places left for those who apply later..so maybe it's worth a try?for what course do you want to apply for?
Econ, Management and Finance. How do you know that there are 10% places left?
Reply 8
Econ, Management and Finance. How do you know that there are 10% places left?

because when I did apply they told me...they keep 10% of places for the last round in case there are very good candidates that have not applied earlier
Reply 9
Original post by dianaro
because when I did apply they told me...they keep 10% of places for the last round in case there are very good candidates that have not applied earlier
+ some people may resign as they get into top UK unis as well. I dont know if I am very good, my GPA is 3,42 (4,00 is the one they request to skip the test in earlier recruitment stages) out of 6, I am halfway through my final examination and it is going really great, but Bocconi doesn't take it into account (contrary to ALL universities in Poland, who focus solely on Matura examination) :frown: I think I am able to write Bocconi test like 85%+. Will it be good enough?
Reply 10
+ some people may resign as they get into top UK unis as well. I dont know if I am very good, my GPA is 3,42 (4,00 is the one they request to skip the test in earlier recruitment stages) out of 6, I am halfway through my final examination and it is going really great, but Bocconi doesn't take it into account (contrary to ALL universities in Poland, who focus solely on Matura examination) :frown: I think I am able to write Bocconi test like 85%+. Will it be good enough?

I think you have good chances! if it can make you feel more confident..I got a place but I have decided not to go so..more chances for you :biggrin:
Reply 11
dianaro, in terms of recognition - Bocconi has a very high international reputation.

When an international student applies for a Master or even a job abroad, they OFTEN look at which is the best business/economics school in that country - in Italy it's Bocconi!
Whereas if you apply worldwide from York, I don't think it has the same recognition effect.

I know people from the UK who did BIEMF because they would have a higher chance getting into an investment bank, consulting or blue chip than doing a non-Top5 university in the UK.

While some professors have the Italian accent, they are highly renowned and respected throughout the economic community. Needless to say, one of its professors is currently head of state of the country.

I used to have your same concern, too, when I decided to study in a non-UK university, but in the end it is not the language quality of the courses that matters, but the professors intrinsically, the environment of the university, its connections, networks.
Bocconi is the gateway to any good company in Italy and in the world, if you're a good student.

If you're not a good student, you'll end up partying with rich parents' kids anyway and marry one of them anyway :P

Trust me, Bocconi is really good, very interdisciplinary, very "outside the box" and highly recognized in numerous fields.

Maybe York has a higher value WITHIN the United Kingdom.

BTW what is your origin/nationality?
It may be that if you're Italian and you want to chose a course ALSO to improve your technical English language simultaneously, then perhaps doing a Bachelor in the UK and then a Master at Bocconi could be a good alternative.

But apart from that, don't underestimate the importance of Bocconi in the international community, in academia, business, politics. Many leading Economists from other universities teach BIEMF as guest lecturers as well, including from Harvard and Scandinavian top 10.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by dianaro
I think you have good chances! if it can make you feel more confident..I got a place but I have decided not to go so..more chances for you :biggrin:
Thanks. It is funny because York is my insurance (L100), but I don't want to go there that much to be honest :frown: I am afraid of missing my firm (UCL). Anyway, thx for help :smile:
Reply 13
Thanks. It is funny because York is my insurance (L100), but I don't want to go there that much to be honest :frown: I am afraid of missing my firm (UCL). Anyway, thx for help :smile:

Really?how come you are not too keen on going there?I've heard it's really renowned (well, for PPE at least which is what I want to do)...have you been there?
Reply 14
Original post by Polygoof
dianaro, in terms of recognition - Bocconi has a very high international reputation.

When an international student applies for a Master or even a job abroad, they OFTEN look at which is the best business/economics school in that country - in Italy it's Bocconi!
Whereas if you apply worldwide from York, I don't think it has the same recognition effect.

I know people from the UK who did BIEMF because they would have a higher chance getting into an investment bank, consulting or blue chip than doing a non-Top5 university in the UK.

While some professors have the Italian accent, they are highly renowned and respected throughout the economic community. Needless to say, one of its professors is currently head of state of the country.

I used to have your same concern, too, when I decided to study in a non-UK university, but in the end it is not the language quality of the courses that matters, but the professors intrinsically, the environment of the university, its connections, networks.
Bocconi is the gateway to any good company in Italy and in the world, if you're a good student.

If you're not a good student, you'll end up partying with rich parents' kids anyway and marry one of them anyway :P

Trust me, Bocconi is really good, very interdisciplinary, very "outside the box" and highly recognized in numerous fields.

Maybe York has a higher value WITHIN the United Kingdom.

BTW what is your origin/nationality?
It may be that if you're Italian and you want to chose a course ALSO to improve your technical English language simultaneously, then perhaps doing a Bachelor in the UK and then a Master at Bocconi could be a good alternative.

But apart from that, don't underestimate the importance of Bocconi in the international community, in academia, business, politics. Many leading Economists from other universities teach BIEMF as guest lecturers as well, including from Harvard and Scandinavian top 10.

thank you very much for your advice :smile: ..I have to admit I'm in a really hard position now, as another guy in 'the student room' has shared his experience of the biemf course and he really was not too happy (his main points were: ridiculously high level of maths, tests were jokes- not sure what he meant-, no organisation, no students' life outside STUDYING and no student support)

I am Italian but I have been studying in England for three years so I don't want to lose or worsen my English if i go back to Italy...however another maybe more important issue is the fact that I'd like to do a master degree, possibly in economics or finance, in the UK (Oxford or LSE) but they ask Italian candidates very high degrees (like a 106 over 110) and some bocconi students told me it is extremely hard to get it (whereas a first in the UK is not as unachievable)..if you see what I mean..?
Reply 15
Original post by dianaro
(his main points were: ridiculously high level of maths, tests were jokes- not sure what he meant-, no organisation, no students' life outside STUDYING and no student support)

I truly think all of this is extremely subjective and probably depends on the expectations and benchmarks a student has based on previous experiences or other ideas.
It may be that some things can appear different to a person used to UK/USA standards of organization and quality, but one should also bear in mind that the BIEMF is quite new as a course and constantly evolving.
The course itself can be compared to a start-up environment, though the university itself is like a little Harvard according to some employers.

For me, the main indicators are how acclaimed the professors are (publications, positions in research, etc.) and the companies that recruit at the university.
Most BIEMF graduates have landed positions at the top IBs or other big names throughout every industry. Many BIEMF graduates have been admitted to places like Harvard, Oxbridge and LSE for postgraduate.
When I say "many" it even just 10, but some universities don't send ANYONE AT ALL to do postgraduate at the Ivy League or Red Brick.

Do you know what kind of sector you would like to work in afterwards?

Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice the benefits and fringe benefits of going to Bocconi just to keep up with my language.
Also, the student body is VERY international, and you will surely find other British people to hang out with so you don't return to "maccheronic" :wink:

...they ask Italian candidates very high degrees (like a 106 over 110) and some bocconi students told me it is extremely hard to get it (whereas a first in the UK is not as unachievable)..if you see what I mean..?

Which equals an average of 27 to 28 out of 30 plus a well-written thesis plus extra-curriculars or international exchange, internships, etc. It is very easy if you are a careful student, follow through lessons, are in touch with professors/assistants and do your homework properly :smile:

As far as I know, it is easier for an organized student to get 110 in Italy than for a good student to get a 1st class in the UK.
Reply 16
Original post by dianaro
Really?how come you are not too keen on going there?I've heard it's really renowned (well, for PPE at least which is what I want to do)...have you been there?

I don't think I would like to live in such a small city, it's not that prestigious in Econ as it is in PPE. Anyway, still fingers crossed for UCL. If I miss the offer, I will think what to do next.

Good luck, dinaro :wink:
I am Italian and turned down Bocconi to study at the university of Birmingham as I wanted to improve my English as well. According to what current students at Bocconi say, some professors speak bad English, thus making the BIEMF course not very valid. They also have a weird method to grade exams.
I talked to a Bocconian last Saturday who is doing an Msc there and she said she is actaully enjoying her course.
I think Bocconi is much better to do postgraduate studies but it's also MUCH more competitive to do master's rather than undergrads... It's the best university in Italy to study Economics and if you want the experience to study abroad, you should definitely go for it :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by panda1093
I am Italian and turned down Bocconi to study at the university of Birmingham as I wanted to improve my English as well. According to what current students at Bocconi say, some professors speak bad English, thus making the BIEMF course not very valid. They also have a weird method to grade exams.
I talked to a Bocconian last Saturday who is doing an Msc there and she said she is actaully enjoying her course.
I think Bocconi is much better to do postgraduate studies but it's also MUCH more competitive to do master's rather than undergrads... It's the best university in Italy to study Economics and if you want the experience to study abroad, you should definitely go for it :smile:

I think dianaro is Italian, too :smile:

It isn't untrue that some professors there have a heavy accent, but that doesn't make the course less valid... especially because one usually doesn't study Economics to improve their English :smile:

It is definitely more competitive to enter the Master courses there because there are more courses held in English language whence more foreigners apply, whereas the undergraduate courses are mostly filled by local school leavers.
I dare say most Italian school leavers who apply have a lower grade benchmark than foreign applicants.

But also Italian BIEMF [under]graduates end up quite easily with big names such as Goldman Sachs, Accenture, Deloitte, and nearly all big companies in the world. Absolutely no doubt about that.
Reply 19
Original post by panda1093

Ciaao:wink: yes I have heard too that they have a weird method to grade exams (not sure why though!)..and yes another thing that worries me is that at Bocconi there seems to be MUCH LESS student life than in UK unis. I mean, I bet you are not only studying on books 24/7 in Birmingham even though it's a really good uni, am I correct?and same in York, I just feel there is so much more opportunity for social/leisure/sport activities than at Bocconi (like all italian unis seem to lack)..what do you personally think?

Quick Reply

Latest