The Student Room Group

OCR B F334 - Chemistry of Materials - 19th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For those who did the paper in January was there any problems with timing?? I heard there was? :/ Since its a mark a minute paper im dreading that ima loose marks due to timing!! That always happens for me for mark a minute papers! basically all my a2 exams -_- kmt
Original post by Hanz_a93
For those who did the paper in January was there any problems with timing?? I heard there was? :/ Since its a mark a minute paper im dreading that ima loose marks due to timing!! That always happens for me for mark a minute papers! basically all my a2 exams -_- kmt

i did the paper in january and i think i remember finishing on the dot of the invigilator saying pens down. i know in f332 most people have loads of time left at the end but not in this paper
also have you read the examiner report for january f334. seems like they realised they messed up!
Reply 23
Original post by swimming002
i did the paper in january and i think i remember finishing on the dot of the invigilator saying pens down. i know in f332 most people have loads of time left at the end but not in this paper

oh wow lol..damnn...i really i hope dont run out of time! Same for f335 but i i think the 2hrs should be enough..hopefully!

And yeah just read it now! some really harsh paper..but i have a feeling the ones in june are going to be easier and probably for f335 as well since the Jan paper looked way harder than the previous ones!
Reply 24
also have you read the examiner report for january f334. seems like they realised they messed up!

I agree and they didnt say whether the paper was good or bad and how the students did. We all know it was bad and the examiners rubbishly wrote it but they did not admit it. All they said was here, have a look at some tips lmaooo
Reply 25
oh wow lol..damnn...i really i hope dont run out of time! Same for f335 but i i think the 2hrs should be enough..hopefully!

And yeah just read it now! some really harsh paper..but i have a feeling the ones in june are going to be easier and probably for f335 as well since the Jan paper looked way harder than the previous ones!

I did F335 in jan 12, got an A, 105/120. missed the A* BY 1 MARK. It was hard, but if you knew your stuff it wasnt that bad. I mean they asked questions on mass(3marks), oxidation states(3), rates on reactions(4), infrared(5), electrophillic additon and just general writing formulas. So if you know your AS, youll be perfectly fine in this paper. It's just AS mixed with some new Stuff.
Reply 26
Original post by ManPowa
I did F335 in jan 12, got an A, 105/120. missed the A* BY 1 MARK. It was hard, but if you knew your stuff it wasnt that bad. I mean they asked questions on mass(3marks), oxidation states(3), rates on reactions(4), infrared(5), electrophillic additon and just general writing formulas. So if you know your AS, youll be perfectly fine in this paper. It's just AS mixed with some new Stuff.

woahh gratz on that mark!! You should retake a unit to get that A*! may i ask how you revised for this paper?? atm im just going through as many past papers as i can!! Did you have any problems with timing??

Nice sig azwell bro :wink:
Reply 27
i heard that there were new examiners last time and i think it was the general pattern across the country that the paper was rubbish! I'm hoping they will compensate with the june paper! are you in year 13? I really want an A too, last year i pretty much memorised the revision guide and got an A overall but I've found doing past papers over and over again definitely helps. even if you have seen it a hundred times just do it again! questions, questions, questions! oh and thank you!

Yeah year 13, just done chem of materials June 08 and got 83/90 :biggrin: But its alway different when you get into the exam.
Reply 28
woahh gratz on that mark!! You should retake a unit to get that A*! may i ask how you revised for this paper?? atm im just going through as many past papers as i can!! Did you have any problems with timing??

Nice sig azwell bro :wink:

Timing is perfect. As in you wont struggle, the way they make this paper is that you will have a few minutes to go through. you will not be constantly mind boggled with chemistry for the full 2 hours.

I had every past paper i could find and kept doing them come exam time, i didnt really think when i wrote my answer cos I knew the answer top of my head. So I flew thru that paper.

Thanks bro. Sig is too rough. llol
Original post by hash007
Yeah year 13, just done chem of materials June 08 and got 83/90 :biggrin: But its alway different when you get into the exam.

yeah i know what you mean, i got a's in all my mocks for jan 2012 f334 and then the exam just threw me. has it made you really nervous for all of your exams? I'm just worried that scenario will happen again but I'm hoping because it seems many people underachieved in jan they will compensate on this paper!? fingers crossed anyway!
Original post by ManPowa
I agree and they didnt say whether the paper was good or bad and how the students did. We all know it was bad and the examiners rubbishly wrote it but they did not admit it. All they said was here, have a look at some tips lmaooo

haha! yeah i know, always the students fault! bit of a coincidence that everyone i have spoken to is retaking this though! i blame the examiners!

also has anybody done the JUNE 2011 paper?? it is amazing! would have the biggest smile on my face in the exam if anything remotely similar came up!
(edited 11 years ago)
Just read the examiners report and wow they know they really messed up. the report was nothing like the previous reports for this paper or any of the other units. Not one of the questions was "well answered" like any other year.

It was a really horrible paper...nothing like the previous ones.
Everybody I know is re-taking this paper. It better be a good paper this time or my chances of getting an A --> getting into Uni are nill.
OCR be warned!! Or you'll be recieving a very scary/demanding/inappropriate email from quite a few of us if you mess up. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Can anyone help please and explain how to find out the rate - determining step?

And explain the answer to Question 1e(iii) in f334 Jan 10 paper please?
Its about multi-step mechanisms

Here's the paper http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jan/ocr_49832_pp_10_jan_gce_f334.pdf?

:smile: Thanks
Reply 33
Original post by Princess Kawaii

Here's the paper http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jan/ocr_49832_pp_10_jan_gce_f334.pdf?

Rate equation tells you the reactants in the rate determining step, the slowest step of the reaction. The question tells you that it's a reaction between ethanal, cyanide ion and water. Because water is not in the rate equation it must be in a another step, which is a fast step. So one of ethanal or cyanide must react with water first to form an intermediate, then react again. Thus it's a multi step mechanism.

Hope that makes sense, let me know if there are any other questions! Still confused as to how I got a C on this paper in jan :confused: looking at the raw marks it means I must have dropped about 40 marks, which I can't believe at all.
Reply 34
haha! yeah i know, always the students fault! bit of a coincidence that everyone i have spoken to is retaking this though! i blame the examiners!

also has anybody done the JUNE 2011 paper?? it is amazing! would have the biggest smile on my face in the exam if anything remotely similar came up!

In that paper I got an A in that. That was my actual exam lol from my D grade in jan 11. Did F334 in june 11 and got 75/90. I agree, piss easyy paper lol.
does anyone have the january 2012 f334 paper? can't find it anywhere?!

found it! http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=52755&ResourceId=4530044 if anyone needs it
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
does anyone have the january 2012 f334 paper? can't find it anywhere?!

found it! http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=52755&ResourceId=4530044 if anyone needs it

Thank you, any idea about a mark scheme?
Reply 37
Original post by Princess Kawaii

The way I see it is: water is not in the rate equation, yet there needs to be a source of H+ ions to get from the intermediate ion with a O- to the cyanohydrin with a OH. In the question, water is the only source of H+ ions! Therefore water must be the reactant which is used in this step, but it isnt in this rate equation, so there must be another step taking place. And if theres more than one step then its a multi-step mechanism.

Im bad with words but ive tried to get my point across as well as i can!
Reply 38
"How does recystallisation remove insoluble and soluble impurities?"

SAY WHAT.
Reply 39
Original post by csefton3
"How does recystallisation remove insoluble and soluble impurities?"

SAY WHAT.

Is this who i think it is!!!!
Isnt my main boy is it !!!! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest