The Student Room Group

Were my parents fair to do this regarding accommodation?

I need to find a place to live for university next year. I have been on a gap year and I have to choose off campus. I found two great places but the agencies needed guarantors from my parents. A guarantor is a person who pays for the rent if I can't pay it so my parents would pay if I can't pay.

My parents point blanc refused to be guarantors and they said they wouldn't be persuaded. I am very careful with money, I have quite a lot of money saved up and I could pay the rent several times over, that's how much money I have saved up. Even so, my parents refuse.

Term is about a month from starting. I haven't found a place to live and I could end up with nowhere or a ****ty place in a poor location at best, never having met the people or even looked at the place beforehand. Were my parents fair to do this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not really thats pretty harsh :frown:

Is there anyone else? Grandparents or an aunt or uncle who could do it?
Have you tried making a spreadsheet detailing your costs and to prove you can pay for it, and that it's just a formality?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Original post by kunoichi
Not really thats pretty harsh :frown:

Is there anyone else? Grandparents or an aunt or uncle who could do it?

No I don't stay in touch with my relatives other than my gran and I don't think it's fair to ask.
Original post by Sheldor
Have you tried making a spreadsheet detailing your costs and to prove you can pay for it, and that it's just a formality?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

My parents know how much I have saved up because the records are in their filing cabinet. I have a loan and grant coming in next year. Even if I didn't have a loan or grant coming in, I could pay for the accommodation and living costs with money to spare. Despite this, my parents refuse.
Reply 4
Could you not give your parents the years rent upfront so they pay the rent?
Reply 5
Original post by Soph.Jade

There's no need to do this, seems a bit rash. I would contact the letting agent and see if you can pay in advance or atleast explain the situation.
Reply 6
Original post by Soph.Jade

I asked them this just now. My dad got in such a bad mood telling me to stop asking questions about it. He said he had already explained before about it. I tried asking again but he is being very stubborn, not answering and threatening to lose his temper and punish me. There is no persuading him. I did manage to get out of him that he has more than enough money so money isn't the issue. My mum tried to explain things (she doesn't know the reason why and she is too scared to ask my dad because he threatens to lose his temper whenever she asks) and she thinks it's because he doesn't trust landlords and he doesn't want to be legally bound to a contract.
Original post by GR3YFOXXX
There's no need to do this, seems a bit rash. I would contact the letting agent and see if you can pay in advance or atleast explain the situation.

I have contacted the letting agencies (2 of them). They need a guarantor and refuse to do it any other way.
Reply 7
If you're sure you will have the money to always pay for it then it's just a formality...could you ask a friend?
Reply 8
Hate to be the one to tell you this OP, but your dad is a complete prick.
Reply 9
Original post by Skyelight
If you're sure you will have the money to always pay for it then it's just a formality...could you ask a friend?

this ^

I was just about to suggest this. If you have a friend in employment they may be eligible. They usually don't even need to be in full time employment.

TBH it seems pretty unreasonable what your parents are doing.
Do they understand that it's something that all landlords ask for? They might think it's something that is unique to your situation for some reason, when this isn't the case. If your parents won't take the money from you and pay your rent for the year, then can you agree to pay more up front as a compromise for not having a guarantor? For example if you would have had to pay £200 a month, pay them several months up front in return for smaller monthly payments? Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm sure there's a way around it if you've managed to save up.
Can't you pay the landlord upfront for the year? That way they wouldn't need a guarantor.
Reply 12
No don't pay the whole year up front very bad idea!!!!!!!!
Speak to your university. I know mine will act as guarantors for international students as long as they can demonstrate ability to pay. If you explain your circumstances and show them copies of bank statements and loans letters they may do it for you.
Reply 14
Original post by Skyelight

It's not fair to ask a friend to do it. Can you imagine me asking a friend 'I need a guarantor for a property which means you pay if I can't. I have enough savings so you won't have to pay' 'why won't your parents give guarantees?' 'because they don't want to sign a contract with a landlord and because there's the tiniest of chances they will have to pay for something which they refuse to do because they don't want to be open to legal action'.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Do they understand that it's something that all landlords ask for? They might think it's something that is unique to your situation for some reason, when this isn't the case. If your parents won't take the money from you and pay your rent for the year, then can you agree to pay more up front as a compromise for not having a guarantor? For example if you would have had to pay £200 a month, pay them several months up front in return for smaller monthly payments? Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm sure there's a way around it if you've managed to save up.

Not all landlords ask for it (the majority don't). I know this from anecdotal evidence from friends and family who have rented before. Believe me I have tried. I have asked if I can pay up front in advance to my parents. They refuse (My dad refuses. My mum goes along with it because she is too scared to disagree and my dad has total control of the finances).
Original post by Clare~Bear
Can't you pay the landlord upfront for the year? That way they wouldn't need a guarantor.

Is this a good idea?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I know this sounds harsh, but to me, if one of my parents refused to be a guarantor, it would set alarm bells ringing. Perhaps your dad has something to hide that would affect his ability to be your guarantor, like a unspent conviction or something?

He hasn't had any criminal convictions as far as I know. His credit rating is fine as far as I know. He preaches about how he loathes criminals and how I should be ultra careful with my money.
Reply 15
I've been in similar situations before. I always just pay 6 months rent up front, have you tried asking the landlord/estate agent if that would be a possibility instead?
I had this problem.

After a lot of arguments it came down to
- being homeless and therefore having to drop out of uni
- returning to halls (which I wasn't willing to do)
- defying the threats of gratuitous violence and going to an elderly relative for the signature
- forging a signature

In the end my mum saw sense (dad never did) and signed it. It is a big problem though, especially as some landlords / agents impose additional regulations, e.g. must live in the UK, must be a homeowner, must earn over a certain amount.
Reply 17
Original post by alexmagpie
Speak to your university. I know mine will act as guarantors for international students as long as they can demonstrate ability to pay. If you explain your circumstances and show them copies of bank statements and loans letters they may do it for you.

Would a university sign as a guarantor for a letting agency? Something tells me they wouldn't.
Original post by Smoosh
I've been in similar situations before. I always just pay 6 months rent up front, have you tried asking the landlord/estate agent if that would be a possibility instead?

illyas says that is not a good idea.
Original post by Origami Bullets
I had this problem.

After a lot of arguments it came down to
- being homeless and therefore having to drop out of uni
- returning to halls (which I wasn't willing to do)
- defying the threats of gratuitous violence and going to an elderly relative for the signature
- forging a signature

In the end my mum saw sense (dad never did) and signed it. It is a big problem though, especially as some landlords / agents impose additional regulations, e.g. must live in the UK, must be a homeowner, must earn over a certain amount.

What can I do? My dad will never back down. He gets kicks out of being stubborn. He won't back down or see sense.
Original post by olympicdude
Would a university sign as a guarantor for a letting agency? Something tells me they wouldn't.

I don't know, but if you don't ask, you don't get. It may be reserved strictly for international students though (as most stipulate that guarantors must be UK residents).
Reply 19
Original post by olympicdude

illyas says that is not a good idea.

What can I do? My dad will never back down. He gets kicks out of being stubborn. He won't back down or see sense.

Just because one person says it's not a good idea doesn't mean that's automatically true. I've had to do it twice and I've never had any problems with it.

Quick Reply

Latest