The Student Room Group

What to take to Uni for Nursing

-What are essentials to take to Uni for Nursing/Midwifery course?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lolly-pop95
-What are essentials to take to Uni for Nursing course?

Well just usual stationary stuff and then I'd make sure you have a pen torch, several fob watches, a stethoscope, nursing scissors, the rest you'll get on the wards really, and lots of pocket sized notepads for placements.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm gonna get myself a decent fob watch :smile:
I'd also recommend a nursing dictionary, to get to grips with all the terminology.
Reply 4
You definitely need to take a sigmoidoscope along with you too, essential bit of kit.
Reply 5
Original post by moonkatt
You definitely need to take a sigmoidoscope along with you too, essential bit of kit.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: very good
Original post by moonkatt

for looking up your friends ?

though with friends like that who'd need enemas !
but seriously find out what the policy about footwear with your uniform is so you aren't running round just before your first placement trying to find 'correct' shoes ..
Reply 8
Loads of black pens as they will disappear the moment you get onto placement. (Never lend them to anybody, you might never see them again.)
Reply 9
Does anyone recommend a planner/diary? Wondered if there's a point me buying one...
Reply 10
Original post by F Ellen
Does anyone recommend a planner/diary? Wondered if there's a point me buying one...

Yes a diary is essential once you get on placement so you can write down all your shifts! It also means you can keep track of how many hours you've done. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
Original post by colef001
Yes a diary is essential once you get on placement so you can write down all your shifts! It also means you can keep track of how many hours you've done. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Someone recommended me one of these, do you think something like this would be useful?
Original post by F Ellen

Someone recommended me one of these, do you think something like this would be useful?

Ohh I quite like the look of that one thanks for posting it.:smile:

I like that it has the individual spaces for apointments for each day which would come in handy during placement.

Plus I also like that it has a seperate section for coursework due dates.
Reply 13
Original post by shanghaichica

I like that it has the individual spaces for apointments for each day which would come in handy during placement.

I might buy one, won't break the bank and I'm sure I'll use it for something! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by shanghaichica

I bought one of the Palgrave ones last year when I was starting midwifery.....it was a bit of a waste of money really, just a normal standard diary would have been fine. The Palgrave one's pretty big to be taking round with you and I've barely used it really.

My other suggestion to add to this list would be a multivitamin, particularly vitamin C! Haha, sounds ridiculous but although I've caught several colds this year on placement, I'm sure taking a multivitamin has meant that I've caught less than I would have done otherwise. Also, a good alarm clock. I have 3 because I'm that paranoid! Fob watch is definitely essential, and a second one in case one breaks one day and you have placement the next day. And loads of black socks! I thought I had loads before I started the course, but after having to wear them every day and barely having time to do washing until days off, I often found myself hunting around for clean socks until I bought 2 new packs!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CatRox
I bought one of the Palgrave ones last year when I was starting midwifery.....it was a bit of a waste of money really, just a normal standard diary would have been fine. The Palgrave one's pretty big to be taking round with you and I've barely used it really.

I had a standard diary last year in my first year and didn't find it that useful. I ended up writting all my assignement dates down on a seperate sheet and didn't find it useful for taking down my appointments when I was on placement. I think this one will be more useful for me, as it's arranged in a way that suits me. I think I will get another fob watch though, thought I'd lost mine during my OSCE this year (it was at the bottom of my bag). Think I'd like to have a spare in case I actually lose it whilst on placement.
(edited 11 years ago)
Along with the usual student things, lots of extra black pens are a must for placement as they often go missing!

I've found that as well as a good diary, a big year planner that you can stick on your wall is really helpful. I've found it helpful so that at a glance I can know when I'm in blocks of uni, on placement, study time or annual leave etc. I also highlight hand in days etc. My nursey friends and I have found that one of the key's to surviving nurse training is to (try) to be organised!

Another good thing to take would be an eye mask and ear plugs for when you're on night shifts and needing to sleep during the day. You'll probably find your own way of sleeping when on nights, but I've found that an eye mask has really helped me.

On the same lines, a good loud alarm clock is a must (or possibly 2 or 3 alarm clocks!) for early starts (unless you're a natural morning person. I am not)

Someone above said that vitamins would be a good thing to take, and I definitely agree. They make me feel a lot better!

In terms of books its probably better to wait till you start. However a really good book to read is The Student Nurse Handbook by Bethann Siviter. Its got loads of really good advice and has helped me and my nursey friends very much.

Good luck with starting your training!
Reply 17
I definitely agree with tooty_flute to wait until you start before buying books. It means you can look in the library and see which ones you like, then buy the ones that you use most often and get fed up going in and out of the library for!! I know that if I'd waited, there are some that I wouldn't have bought and some that I would have bought a different version of.
Reply 18
Original post by zippyRN
for looking up your friends ?

though with friends like that who'd need enemas !

That was quite anal. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest