The Student Room Group

The Italian Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Pelle is much better than I thought, to be honest. They did so well to beat Spain - but the challenges keep coming. Germany, and then France.

It's a nightmare route to the final.*
Gutted for Italy who put in a really good defensive performance even though Germany probably deserved to go through. It's no shame at losing in penalties, though their is a feeling of regret with both penalties from Zaza and Pelle.
Is Buffon retiring from internationals? Was quite an emotional farewell after the game yesterday, added to losing the game in the manner they did. Milan's highly touted keeper is too young to replace Buffon yet but who replaces him? He's still in good nick so he could play on for another two years for the WC.
Original post by Aky786UK
Is Buffon retiring from internationals? Was quite an emotional farewell after the game yesterday, added to losing the game in the manner they did. Milan's highly touted keeper is too young to replace Buffon yet but who replaces him? He's still in good nick so he could play on for another two years for the WC.

Well if Buffon maintains his health and form, I see no reason as too why he won't be Italy's no1 at the World Cup in 2018. Though Italy do have a number of good (Perin, Sirigu and Sportiello) and potentially world class (Donnarumma, Scuffet, Meret) keepers coming through, and if Buffon was to retire (although he said he won't) or the incoming coach Giampiero Ventura was to decide on a new GK, then I don't think it will be that bad for Italy moving forward.
Original post by Aky786UK

Original post by thatapanydude
Well if Buffon maintains his health and form, I see no reason as too why he won't be Italy's no1 at the World Cup in 2018. Though Italy do have a number of good (Perin, Sirigu and Sportiello) and potentially world class (Donnarumma, Scuffet, Meret) keepers coming through, and if Buffon was to retire (although he said he won't) or the incoming coach Giampiero Ventura was to decide on a new GK, then I don't think it will be that bad for Italy moving forward.

He's confirmed he wants to be in Russia in 2018. Heck of a feat if he manages that, especially given the emergence of*Donnarumma, who you imagine will be knocking on the door of the senior team by then.
Juve closing in on Gonzalo Higuain for 75 million euro, quite simply unbelievable. Though this will surely raise question on Pogba's future??? But if they keep him thier team next season will be up their with Bayern and Barca.
Juventus in for Higuain is huge. Huge, huge, huge.
Original post by Mackay
Juventus in for Higuain is huge. Huge, huge, huge.

definitively, its now a question of who will win the bundesliga or serie a in the quickest time!!
So the Higuain deal is done - £75.3m. This transfer deserves bit more scrutiny on why they got him when you consider the numbers (fee, his age, re-sale value) and they should have invested the extra money in Morata (seems Real had a fixed buy back option) but surely could have thought long-term with a major striker signing than short termism.

Intrigued by what Inter do, seems uncertainty with Mancini's future still and pressure is on him after a disappointing end to the season

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1249
Think the aim was to weaken a rival, Morata doesn't score enough goals anyway over the course of a season and their team don't have much issues regarding age, each ageing player already has a young player who's capable of replacing them if need be.
Seems like Pogba is virtually a Man Utd player now, any ideas on who could replace him for Juve. If it was upto me I would look at Matuidi as the box to box player they need, though I hope they stay clear of Witsel and Sissoko.
Reply 1251
They already replaced him with Pjanic.

They have box to box players already in Khedira and Marchisio and Pjanic is the all purpose midfielder like Pogba was for them.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
They already replaced him with Pjanic.

They have box to box players already in Khedira and Marchisio and Pjanic is the all purpose midfielder like Pogba was for them.

They've made an enquiry for Verratti as well supposedly. I can't imagine PSG would want to sell without getting somebody of Pogba's calibre in return (although I think Verratti would work even better for Juventus than Pogba)
Imagine Verratti wanting to go to Juve
Original post by Diego Costa

People really do underrate Juve, the fact that people think there's any credence to Pogba to Man Utd adds evidence to that.

Fair enough
$$$ talks.
Original post by Dirtybit
Fair enough

Touché

It's a step down nonetheless. He's gone from a side that are very successful domestically and do well in Europe to a side that finished fifth and are playing in the Wafer Cup.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Think the aim was to weaken a rival, Morata doesn't score enough goals anyway over the course of a season and their team don't have much issues regarding age, each ageing player already has a young player who's capable of replacing them if need be.

He's more of an Okazaki/Deeney than a Vardy/Ighalo. If he was the lone striker and his role was just to score, he'd be on more than Dybala.
Season starting tomorrow with Roma-Udinese and Juve-Fiorentina. Seems like Juve will win easily, but the race for UCL might be tight with Roma and Napoli losing their best players and AC / Inter Milan under chinese ownership it's difficult to call.
Khedira seals three points for Juventus against Lazio, and Napoli beat Milan in a six-goal thriller.

Quick Reply

Latest