The Student Room Group

Durham foundation year medicine 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by kgee
That's not so bad then.. How far are the main hospitals away from the university as am looking into taking up a part time job in the hospital?

There are two large hospitals nearby. North Tees is in Stockton about 10 mins drive away and James Cook Hospital also known as South Tees it is the larger of the two.
Reply 281
Original post by LydiaGibson999
There is only one hospital which is about a 7-8 minute walk from the city centre.

Thanks for that.. That's good to hear...

Original post by Mac496
There are two large hospitals nearby. North Tees is in Stockton about 10 mins drive away and James Cook Hospital also known as South Tees it is the larger of the two.

Thanks Mac496...I saw previously that you used to be in the army.. I guess that makes us two on the course.. I was a combat medic in the army too
Reply 282
Original post by kgee
Thanks for that.. That's good to hear...

Thanks Mac496...I saw previously that you used to be in the army.. I guess that makes us two on the course.. I was a combat medic in the army too

I think there is a few ex forces there is another lad I have heard through a friend is also on the course.
Thank you :smile:

You have to apply for the course first, and if you are successful and called for interview and get through, you are given a conditional offer based on what ever qualifications you are required to provide which definitely includes a ukcat (average score will be given)... So its similar to meeting the conditions of the offer before you start year 0. It's not just a foundation course, its admission to medicine but you definitely have to pass all your foundation modules at the pass mark before you can progress to year 1
Guys

Take a look here for DUQC Mature Students...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DUQCMatureStudentFreshers2015/
Does anyone have an idea on what the UKCAT will be for 2016 entry? Any info is most helpful thanks.
It's always based on what students get for the 5 year entry course. The highest I've known it to be is 745 and lowest 575. Depends on the competition for that year too.
Hi everyone

Im applying for 2016. I am a mature student (obviously) and have a degree and a level chemistry. I have taken the ukcat as i am also applying for 5 year courses. Just wondered what the cut off was for this year for the foundation course as I'm definitely applying. TYIA :smile:
Reply 288
Original post by kgee
That's not so bad then.. How far are the main hospitals away from the university as am looking into taking up a part time job in the hospital?

The hospital isn't too far from the centre, about a twenty minute walk I'd say, maybe more. But there are plenty of buses that stop outside.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mobo250
congrats everyone that got in, I did my UKCAT today and got 610 average! all that matters is the cut off so was a big relief
just to confirm does the SJT band count in our results???

Hi

Would you mind telling me what the UKCAT cut off score was for entry to this course in 2015? Im applying for 2016. I know it can vary a lot but just want an idea. I have already taken it but I may need to take it again if its not high enough :/
Reply 290
Original post by michellem3
Hi

Would you mind telling me what the UKCAT cut off score was for entry to this course in 2015? Im applying for 2016. I know it can vary a lot but just want an idea. I have already taken it but I may need to take it again if its not high enough :/

The cut off was 575 average...
Reply 291
Original post by ebowey
The hospital isn't too far from the centre, about a twenty minute walk I'd say, maybe more. But there are plenty of buses that stop outside.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that
Original post by kgee
The cut off was 575 average...

Thank you. I take it this score was for medicine with Foundation and not Gateway to Medicine as I understand the latter is 100 points lower :/
Hey guys I know you said this is for 2015, but I'm hoping to apply for 2016 and I wanted to ask you a question on entry requirements.

I'm 23 I have a BSc in forensic science (although it says science it's crime scenes and evidence collection so not really science) and a masters degree in counter terrorism. However... My a levels were obtained five years ago and entry requirements state more than three. During college my mum was really ill and as a result my grades suffered and rather than my predicted A's I received C's.

What a level results did you get? And do you think it's worth applying??
Original post by Daisypie
Hey guys I know you said this is for 2015, but I'm hoping to apply for 2016 and I wanted to ask you a question on entry requirements.

I'm 23 I have a BSc in forensic science (although it says science it's crime scenes and evidence collection so not really science) and a masters degree in counter terrorism. However... My a levels were obtained five years ago and entry requirements state more than three. During college my mum was really ill and as a result my grades suffered and rather than my predicted A's I received C's.

What a level results did you get? And do you think it's worth applying??

I don't think A Level results matter for this course if they're older than three years. If you receive a conditional offer, it's conditional on getting a certain score on the UKCAT, a test I'm due to sit (although for regular undergraduate medicine, not this course) in about 90 minutes. :frown:

(also, the UKCAT is a pile of crap -- good luck. :/)
Massive good luck!!!

Thanks! Every other foundation course requires AAB or something this is the only one which seemingly doesn't take it into consideration! I'm just so scared because this has been my dream for so long and I know I'd be really good. But it's all dependant on if they let me interview!
Original post by Daisypie
Massive good luck!!!

Thanks! Every other foundation course requires AAB or something this is the only one which seemingly doesn't take it into consideration! I'm just so scared because this has been my dream for so long and I know I'd be really good. But it's all dependant on if they let me interview!

It might help to read through this thread and the old 2014 one as well -- I found the discussion really helpful in learning about how admissions to this course work. :smile:
Hi guys

I have started a new thread for entry in 2016:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3628215

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending