The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Biology - BY4 (8th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ridwan12
How could you go into an exam being weak at respiration or photosynthesis.....

that's a suicide mission.

Sorry that not everyone is as excellent as your lordship?
/end sarcasm
Original post by ceb_96x
Things like, it's used in synthesis, movement (muscle contraction)

There are a lot of things I wish I'd said in this paper but oh well, on with revising BY5!
Reply 602
Hey all, I realise this is pretty late, I just needed an answer!

In relation to how the orangophosphorus could kill you, what did people put? As the question asked that you explain all the symptoms, it stumped me.

I put that if the orangophosphorus was inhibiting cholinesterase at the synaptic cleft of a cardiac neuromuscular junction, then the heart would fibrillate and cause a heart attack.

However, thinking about it, that can't be correct as the heart is controlled by the AVN and the SAN... I don't know if they're affected by this drug?
Reply 603
Original post by Sta_72
Hey all, I realise this is pretty late, I just needed an answer!

In relation to how the orangophosphorus could kill you, what did people put? As the question asked that you explain all the symptoms, it stumped me.

I put that if the orangophosphorus was inhibiting cholinesterase at the synaptic cleft of a cardiac neuromuscular junction, then the heart would fibrillate and cause a heart attack.

However, thinking about it, that can't be correct as the heart is controlled by the AVN and the SAN... I don't know if they're affected by this drug?

A friend of mine touched on the cardiac muscle just as you did and I had the same question.
I said the same thing about theory as you did (inhibition of cholinesterase etc), went on to talk about how there's constant firing of the post synaptic membrane etc.
With regards to symptoms I said that breathing is controlled by the intercostal muscles which would be affected since organophosphorus acts on neuromuscular junctions so breathing would be affected and suffocation may follow. I also said there'd be constant stimulation of muscles so they'd contract over and over which would lead to an oxygen deficiency so anaerobic respiration starts taking place and there's a build up of lactic acid which will eventually lower the pH to the point the cells die.
Reply 604
Original post by RR97
A friend of mine touched on the cardiac muscle just as you did and I had the same question.
I said the same thing about theory as you did (inhibition of cholinesterase etc), went on to talk about how there's constant firing of the post synaptic membrane etc.
With regards to symptoms I said that breathing is controlled by the intercostal muscles which would be affected since organophosphorus acts on neuromuscular junctions so breathing would be affected and suffocation may follow. I also said there'd be constant stimulation of muscles so they'd contract over and over which would lead to an oxygen deficiency so anaerobic respiration starts taking place and there's a build up of lactic acid which will eventually lower the pH to the point the cells die.

Yeah that's really helpful mate thank you! It's always comforting to know others have the same ideas after exams! :smile: Your breathing explanation was a good'un!
Reply 605
Original post by Sta_72
Yeah that's really helpful mate thank you! It's always comforting to know others have the same ideas after exams! :smile: Your breathing explanation was a good'un!

Glad to know I was of some help :smile:
Reply 606
Original post by jamesroscoee
I put aquatic environment (10':wink:, human body (37':wink: and underground geothermal areas (probably wrong for 92' how did people answer what the 10' bacteria problems were? I said aquatic environment = less oxygen and too much salt if in sea.

We put the same for the first two, although I think it was pretty misleading the question in the paper. As it was bacteria, they can live in both synthetic and natural environments, so I wouldn't be surprised if loads of people put something like 'fridge' etc!! : )

I said something along the lines of activation energy for their cellular reactions as it's really cold. Thinking about it though, that's exactly what enzymes are for so I probably got that one wrong!!
Original post by ceb_96x
Sorry that not everyone is as excellent as your lordship?
/end sarcasm

This was not needed, I think my point is universally accepted.
Original post by ridwan12
This was not needed, I think my point is universally accepted.

Let me rephrase. I meant it in the sense of, get off your high horse. Maybe some people aren't good at respiration, but better at another things?
Reply 609
Hey, could someone explain to me interms of discontinuous variation whats ment by "characters that are clear cut and easy to tell apart are controlled by a single gene. Eg. Dark and light forms of the peppered moth, the ABO blood grouping system, where the gene has more than two alleles"

Im particularly confused about the having more than two alleles bit!!
Reply 610
Original post by IB1997
Hey, could someone explain to me interms of discontinuous variation whats ment by "characters that are clear cut and easy to tell apart are controlled by a single gene. Eg. Dark and light forms of the peppered moth, the ABO blood grouping system, where the gene has more than two alleles"

Hey! I think you're confused because the wording of this particular passage is ****e. I think what it means is that the 'more than two alleles' bit relates specifically to the ABO blood grouping system.

The other characteristics are controlled by one single gene.

ABO blood grouping is controlled by a gene which has more than two alleles, whereas the rest are controlled by one gene with two alleles. :smile:

Hope this helps!
Original post by IB1997

There is a BY5 thread here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3151333
Original post by ceb_96x
Let me rephrase. I meant it in the sense of, get off your high horse. Maybe some people aren't good at respiration, but better at another things?

I don't understand why you're being so passive aggressive over a generalised comment, that was light hearted. :h:

No thanks I'll stay up here. Respiration doesn't need much inference or understanding, you merely have to memorise the process and step's. If you didn't do that for BY4, I stand by my claim, that it is a suicide mission.
Reply 613
Does anyone have any by5 predictions ??
Original post by L1lly
Does anyone have any by5 predictions ??

This is last year's thread. Here's this year's exam thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3982887. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending