The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mathsaddict1234
Hi,

Does anyone know how competitive/lenient the course/offer is at Newcastle and Sheffield, as im thinking of applying for next year and i'd like to know whether they'd be letting people in with ABB instead of AAB, for example, or AAB instead of AAA

Thanks

Hi, I will hopefully be going to Sheffield this year 😁 They told us on the applicant day that they chose us based on our personal statements and that if we did drop a grade they would accept us on AAB instead of AAA

Hope this helps ☺️
Original post by AsphodelMist
Hi, I will hopefully be going to Sheffield this year 😁 They told us on the applicant day that they chose us based on our personal statements and that if we did drop a grade they would accept us on AAB instead of AAA

Hope this helps ☺️

Could you possibly message me some tips for personal statements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathsaddict1234
Hi,

Does anyone know how competitive/lenient the course/offer is at Newcastle and Sheffield, as im thinking of applying for next year and i'd like to know whether they'd be letting people in with ABB instead of AAB, for example, or AAB instead of AAA

Thanks

Hi,

If you missed the conditions of your offer by one grade (eg you were made an offer of AAB but got ABB) then you would count as a near miss. This means your application would be reconsidered again together when A Level results are published in August. Whether we are able to accept near miss students depends on the number of applicants who have met the conditions of their offers and the number of places we have available on our programmes; however preference is given to those who have committed to us as their firm choice.

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

If you missed the conditions of your offer by one grade (eg you were made an offer of AAB but got ABB) then you would count as a near miss. This means your application would be reconsidered again together when A Level results are published in August. Whether we are able to accept near miss students depends on the number of applicants who have met the conditions of their offers and the number of places we have available on our programmes; however preference is given to those who have committed to us as their firm choice.

Hope that helps!

Persephone

Is this a university policy, or engineering dept policy?

And does that, in your scenario, mean all Firm ABBs will be given preference before you look at Insurance applicants, and then look at Clearing applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Is this a university policy, or engineering dept policy?

And does that, in your scenario, mean all Firm ABBs will be given preference before you look at Insurance applicants, and then look at Clearing applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Straight from the horse's mouth (the Civil Engineering Admissions Officer)

The advice to most applicants is that if they just miss out on the conditions of their offer then their application will be reconsidered at results time. They may confirm their place if there are places available. This however changes each year e.g. in one year, more applicants may achieve their conditions and there will be fewer spaces for applicants with lower grades. Another year there may be less applicants who have achieved the conditions of their offer so there will be more places available for those who are considered to be a near miss.

Results are checked for both Firm and Insurance applicants together, because some Insurance may become Firm if they do not achieve the conditions of their Firm choice and achieve the conditions for Newcastle. They then automatically become Firm with Newcastle. So we look at Firm and Insurance results together.

Clearing students are those who apply to us once they have achieved their results on 18th August, so it will be after results have been considered for Firm and Insurance and generally only those who have achieved ABB or above will be accepted.

This is the simplest explanation although it is a lot more complicated than this. My advice is that if they achieve the conditions of their offer, then they will confirm their place. If they are a near miss, then nothing is guaranteed other than, their application will be reconsidered.

Just to clarify, the reconsideration of 'near misses' is not restricted to the School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences. I'd hesitate to say University-wide because applications to Medicine-related courses have their own system (eg using a 'pool' or shortlist of near misses who are offered a place if another student rejects their place at Newcastle) but the advice would apply to degrees across the Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering and the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.

So the statement in my last post was the general advice, but there will always be slight differences from year to year and between courses and schools. (As the Admissions Officer said above, Civil Engineering looks at Firm and Insurance candidates together, whereas as some other courses will give preference to Firm candidates). If there are specific courses you'd like me to check up on, just let me know :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Hi,

Straight from the horse's mouth (the Civil Engineering Admissions Officer)
Hope that helps!

Persephone

Very helpful. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsphodelMist

Hope this helps ☺️

Is that for the entire uni in general or just the engineering department?
Original post by jackien1
Is that for the entire uni in general or just the engineering department?

It was just the civil engineering department as far as I am aware. Other departments may be similar. Most will depend on how many people get they offer grades before they accept any lower.
Reply 348
Are there any universities with low entry requirements?
Original post by Glib
Are there any universities with low entry requirements?

Dundee are a great uni for civil, and depending on whether you choose BEng or MEng and what year of entry you want to start offers can be anywhere between BBC and AAB. I say choose year of entry because, academically, many English students start in the second year of the Scottish course after A levels, it's just the way the Scottish system works. Bear in mind if you apply for entry into year 2 your offer will be at the higher end of the range.

More generally most universities will offer lower for their BEng course, so if you are looking for an insurance it really like one university, apply for both their MEng and BEng.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am one of the intenational offer holder from Newcastle university civil engineering. I have a question about my English requirement. In the UCAS track, it didn't require anything on my offer letter for English requirement . It is mean I can get into Newcastle university as long as I meet my grade requirement ?
Original post by uiui9090
I am one of the intenational offer holder from Newcastle university civil engineering. I have a question about my English requirement. In the UCAS track, it didn't require anything on my offer letter for English requirement . It is mean I can get into Newcastle university as long as I meet my grade requirement ?

Hi

Can you send us a private message with your full name and UCAS number and we will look into it for you :smile:

Isabella
Personal info deleted by mod. Please don't post this info in public forums. Send it by PM instead.

Hi

Can you send us a private message with your full name and UCAS number and we will look into it for you :smile:

Isabella
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone, the University of Surrey has some limited places on Civil Engineering (2016 entry) through Adjustment and Clearing. If your results were not quite what you expected (or better than you hoped) take a look at our site: http://ow.ly/117O303m1HC and give our team a call :smile:
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi everyone, the University of Surrey has some limited places on Civil Engineering (2016 entry) through Adjustment and Clearing. If your results were not quite what you expected (or better than you hoped) take a look at our site: http://ow.ly/117O303m1HC and give our team a call :smile:

Sorry with quoting this post since what I'm asking is not related to this but its about the course and University of Surrey. I got high grades but I saw on the website that civil engineering isn't in the merit bursary scheme, is this true as most other engineering courses have it?
Original post by Vikingninja
Sorry with quoting this post since what I'm asking is not related to this but its about the course and University of Surrey. I got high grades but I saw on the website that civil engineering isn't in the merit bursary scheme, is this true as most other engineering courses have it?

Hi, I'm afraid the bursary is for very specific courses, and Civil Engineering is not one of those currently chosen.

We would still love to welcome you here, and if you are interested in 2017 entry, our scholarships and bursaries for 2017 are under review at the present time. As soon as these are agreed, all details will appear on this page: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/content/undergraduate-tuition-fees-bursaries-scholarships

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 357
Original post by Notions
I have applied to Imperial, Bath, Bristol, Southampton CivEng and Cambridge Eng.

Civil Engineering is awesome!!!!:biggrin:

I'm looking at these for next year?? Where did you end up?? 😁
Reply 358
Does anyone have a suggestion on what laptop I should buy for when I go to uni? I was looking into getting a Macbook Pro with the Apple Education discount and free headphones but I have heard that most design programmes are not compatible with Apple OS and that unis primarily run on Windows so I don't want to splash some cash on a glorified computer that I can't even use. My budget is under £1000.
Original post by ad20999
Does anyone have a suggestion on what laptop I should buy for when I go to uni? I was looking into getting a Macbook Pro with the Apple Education discount and free headphones but I have heard that most design programmes are not compatible with Apple OS and that unis primarily run on Windows so I don't want to splash some cash on a glorified computer that I can't even use. My budget is under £1000.

You can run Boot Camp (or Parallels) on the Mac (i.e. to install Windows 10) and turn it into a Windows PC for the few programmes that are PC only.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/bootcamp/

Quick Reply

Latest