The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Van Mildert College Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

What is the extra curricular music scene like at VM? I'm a keen brass player and singer. I know there's a big band. But what else? And what opportunities are there generally at Durham? I'm not a music student, but it's really important to me to go somewhere where there are lots of ensembles.
Hope
Someone can help!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Dylann
Anyone else got any questions :smile:?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you tell me more about the extra curricular music scene at VM? Am struggling to choose between Bath and Durham for maths (both are great) and am using music as the decider. I'm a brass musician and sing a bit. And more broadly, what is the scene like I. Durham re ensembles? Thanks!
Original post by Son of Eric
Can you tell me more about the extra curricular music scene at VM? Am struggling to choose between Bath and Durham for maths (both are great) and am using music as the decider. I'm a brass musician and sing a bit. And more broadly, what is the scene like I. Durham re ensembles? Thanks!

Van Mildert is one of the best colleges for music. We have our own recording studio, a very popular end of year event called Jam by the Lake and also has a Big Band which is great for brass players. Whilst I'm not an expert on the ensemble scene in Durham, I believe bands like Big Band perform regularly around the city because lots of colleges organise their own events and invite external musicians to perform. We have open mic nights a few times each term as well. I don't know what it's like at Bath but I'm sure you'll like it here in Durham
Original post by Maximov
Thanks for the photos you posted! Is there a choice in bed size? I am a bit worried because I am very tall. Or could I bring along my personal bed?

I believe there is only one sized bed...depending on how tall "very tall" is you may want to e-mail them. You'll almost definitely be fine though, I don't know anyone who has had an issue with bed length and I know some tall people haha
Original post by TelAviv
Regarding accomadation, is there any choice in who's on your corridor or is it randomised?

Also, am I correct in assuming rooms are decided before we arrive or is it just you turn up and pick a room?

The system behind room allocation is not made publically available. You fill out a room allocation questionnaire after you've got your results (this is part of a welcome pack) but I don't know how much that influences your corridor. One of the most important things they try to balance is gender for each corridor.

Your room will be chosen before you arrive yes, you don't pick on the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could amybody tell me what the dates are for Freshers week 2016? Thanks
Reply 106
Original post by simbasdragon
Could amybody tell me what the dates are for Freshers week 2016? Thanks

3rd - 9th October with Michaelmas term starting on 10th Oct. 😊
Reply 107
Is there a facebook group for people going this year?
Original post by VM984
Is there a facebook group for people going this year?

Haven't seen one yet, might make one if no one else has
Is there like a group / group chat? I can't seem to find it if there is and other colleges seem to have one
Anyone else not received the particulars of offers letter yet? Sent them an email yesterday but they haven't repsonded
Original post by mkwhater
Anyone else not received the particulars of offers letter yet? Sent them an email yesterday but they haven't repsonded

I think they have been having a bit of trouble with sending out emails for it? I only got mine the other day, and some others in the facebook group chat haven't got theirs either I think.
Original post by CharlieDean
I think they have been having a bit of trouble with sending out emails for it? I only got mine the other day, and some others in the facebook group chat haven't got theirs either I think.

wait so there is a facebook chat?????? can you link it?
Original post by mkwhater
wait so there is a facebook chat?????? can you link it?

I don't think I can link it, but if you go on fb and join the "Durham University Freshers 2016 - 2017" page (there's two so I joined both) and then make a post in it saying your college and subject and asking to be joined to the chats for them, someone should then be able to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending