The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by ohhello92x
I had a lesson today, pretty good considering I had two lessons on the trot where I was messing up :redface:
And I've got my test in August :biggrin:

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one :smile: what did you do on your lesson? Mines mostly focusing in maneuvers recently

I've not had a lesson for a fortnight since I've had a virus and been resting but I've got a double one this Thursday :smile: my brain feels like mush atm but I'm hoping I get back into the driving groove by Thursday :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Nice one :smile: what did you do on your lesson? Mines mostly focusing in maneuvers recently

I've not had a lesson for a fortnight since I've had a virus and been resting but I've got a double one this Thursday :smile: my brain feels like mush atm but I'm hoping I get back into the driving groove by Thursday :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :smile: did the turn in the road, parallel park and reverse round the corner in today's lesson :redface:! Yeah same the main focus of each of my lessons is manoeuvres :smile:

Aw no :frown: hope you feel better! Ah that's good :biggrin: I'm sure you'll be fine when Thursday comes round :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 322
Was meant to have a lesson this morning but my instructor cancelled as she has the cold is taking meds for it and they make you drowsy. Its a blessing in disguise it got cancelled because I haven't slept much after my stepdad taking another mini stroke last night and yesterday all day I hadn't slept a wink because I was up and down with a dodgy gut that day so yesterday was hellish! Planning to just relax and catch up with rest as much as possible today

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was meant to have a lesson this morning but my instructor cancelled as she has the cold is taking meds for it and they make you drowsy. Its a blessing in disguise it got cancelled because I haven't slept much after my stepdad taking another mini stroke last night and yesterday all day I hadn't slept a wink because I was up and down with a dodgy gut that day so yesterday was hellish! Planning to just relax and catch up with rest as much as possible today

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no! Hope you and your step dad get better soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 324
Oh no! Hope you and your step dad get better soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! He's on the mend thankfully :h:

I've got a double lesson on Wednesday and tbh, I'm quite nervous for it :frown: I've not been driving for about 3/4 weeks because my panic attacks have been bad and then my stepdad taking ill and my anxiety is still a bit high but I'm scared if I don't go this week, I'll end up quitting again like I did last year when my anxiety got worse. I've cancelled my driving test as well which was probably a stupid move but my mum says I should get more practice in first and only book it when I feel really confident

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! He's on the mend thankfully :h:

I've got a double lesson on Wednesday and tbh, I'm quite nervous for it :frown: I've not been driving for about 3/4 weeks because my panic attacks have been bad and then my stepdad taking ill and my anxiety is still a bit high but I'm scared if I don't go this week, I'll end up quitting again like I did last year when my anxiety got worse. I've cancelled my driving test as well which was probably a stupid move but my mum says I should get more practice in first and only book it when I feel really confident

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw that's good :smile:

Well I suppose if you don't feel confident enough to take your test then I suppose it's the right move :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit of backstory I've been doing my lessons for quite a while but had to take a hiatus from Jan till about May due to some mental health rubbish! I got back into it quite well and remembered most things... BUT

My dad thought he would surprise me and buy me my first car to practise in so I can get to test standard quicker. So he got me a ford Ka (apparently fords are the best..and I must have a ford xD)

anyway I'm just so frustrated because I can't get clutch control right in my own car where it's almost perfect in my instructors car (toytoa). I don't know if I'm messing up my own car because my dad keeps screaming to add 'more petrol' when I set off or I just can't get used to it. But I've had it a while now and it's really getting me down to the point where I just wanna pass in my instructors car and just get my car swapped for an automatic :frown: my dad thinks I'm doing a great job handling my car but I'm 'too slow on the clutch' it's just so ugh. I don't know if it's cos he's shouting constantly or I just will never get it What's wrong with me?

Plz help. I'm so beaten down cos of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Salamence91
Bit of backstory I've been doing my lessons for quite a while but had to take a hiatus from Jan till about May due to some mental health rubbish! I got back into it quite well and remembered most things... BUT

My dad thought he would surprise me and buy me my first car to practise in so I can get to test standard quicker. So he got me a ford Ka (apparently fords are the best..and I must have a ford xD)

anyway I'm just so frustrated because I can't get clutch control right in my own car where it's almost perfect in my instructors car (toytoa). I don't know if I'm messing up my own car because my dad keeps screaming to add 'more petrol' when I set off or I just can't get used to it. But I've had it a while now and it's really getting me down to the point where I just wanna pass in my instructors car and just get my car swapped for an automatic :frown: my dad thinks I'm doing a great job handling my car but I'm 'too slow on the clutch' it's just so ugh. I don't know if it's cos he's shouting constantly or I just will never get it What's wrong with me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe it's because it's a different make to your instructors car and you're just getting use to it :redface: and maybe it's because your dad is shouting too which doesn't help

When I first started driving lessons, my first instructor was ok and then down the line it got to the point where he was shouting at me when I was making mistakes and he even had the cheek to turn round and ask me if I was doing my lessons because everyone else was driving/being forced to do them and I was like no because he basically knocked my confidence and my driving wasn't so good so I stopped having lessons up until September just gone (now got a decent instructor obviously :biggrin:) so know how you feel :redface:

But you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello :h:. How long has everyone revised for their theory if you have taken the test resulting with a pass, and any experiences on an intense driving course? What resources would you suggest for theory revision? Thank you, much appreciated :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Finding the cash to afford the lessons ..
Original post by nadzworldz
Hello :h:. How long has everyone revised for their theory if you have taken the test resulting with a pass, and any experiences on an intense driving course? Thank you, much appreciated :smile:

I revised for an hour or so the night before, and passed. - Admittedly I had ridden 125cc motorbikes, so I understood the road and so on.

Shouldn't take too long, regardless of experience.
5-10 hours I'd say without any prior experience of the textbook for multiple choice, as well as a CD for the click test.
Hello :h:. How long has everyone revised for their theory if you have taken the test resulting with a pass, and any experiences on an intense driving course? Thank you, much appreciated :smile:

I passed my theory first time back in April, and revised on/off for a few months leading up to it :redface: and I haven't had any experiences regarding the intense driving course, sorry :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fr0sr_
I revised for an hour or so the night before, and passed. - Admittedly I had ridden 125cc motorbikes, so I understood the road and so on.

Shouldn't take too long, regardless of experience.
5-10 hours I'd say without any prior experience of the textbook for multiple choice, as well as a CD for the click test.
wow that is impressive and well done! :smile: Ah okay cool and yes that's brilliant you did :biggrin:.

Thank you, what did you use to book(s)/resources did you use to revise and the CD (if you don't mind me asking)? :h:
wow that is impressive and well done! :smile: Ah okay cool and yes that's brilliant you did :biggrin:.

Thank you, what did you use to book(s)/resources did you use to revise and the CD (if you don't mind me asking)? :h:

I'll be honest and say I did just scrape a pass, so admittedly it wasn't a good idea to leave it to the last evening before the test. :P

Err, I'll have a look when I get home, but I'm sure any approved reading material/click test would do :smile:
I'll let you know!
I passed my theory first time back in April, and revised on/off for a few months leading up to it :redface: and I haven't had any experiences regarding the intense driving course, sorry :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, hope you're well :biggrin:. Ah that's brilliant and well done :smile:. Thank you and it's okay you don't need to apologise :h:. Thank you.
Hello, hope you're well :biggrin:. Ah that's brilliant and well done :smile:. Thank you and it's okay you don't need to apologise :h:. Thank you.

Thank you
And you're welcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got a lesson tomorrow and then my test next week. I keep making more and more mistakes every lesson though. :/

Original post by Salamence91

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly my problem. It's so hard going between your instructors car and your own. You'll get better with practise.
Hello :h:. How long has everyone revised for their theory if you have taken the test resulting with a pass, and any experiences on an intense driving course? What resources would you suggest for theory revision? Thank you, much appreciated :smile:

Hey, I revised using www.toptests.co.uk, it's so good!

I got my provisional license the day after boxing day in 2015, booked my theory for 8 days later, revised for 1-2 hours a day until my test and passed with 48/50 and 64/75, so i really recommend it!

As for my driving lessons, I started on April 1st and I've had about 11/12 lessons and my test in on the 4th July! Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
Finding the cash to afford the lessons ..

I agree, it's very expensive to learn. I've probably spent £600 already.
Has anyone got any tips for my driving test? It's in 6 days and I'm petrified!

Quick Reply

Latest