The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rayray12310
ooo snap with the ucl rejection, tho it really was to be expected

are any of u going to ask for feedback? it might be useful but idk, the email could be kinda awkward

I don't see how they could possibly give me feedback, since I can tell they didn't take the time to look through it all. It's a rip-off for £15, there wasn't even a lot of stuff in there. It'd just be a generic "your portfolio wasn't as strong as others" email, since they wouldn't have much else to write about.

I would've thought that the asking for feedback bit was more for people who have had interviews and been rejected after them, though.
Original post by rayray12310
ooo snap with the ucl rejection, tho it really was to be expected

are any of u going to ask for feedback? it might be useful but idk, the email could be kinda awkward

Did you get rejected/did you apply? Haha. And I think not. I don't see the point, as obviously Goldsmiths sees something in my work that Slade doesn't. Also, they never give any useful feedback - probably just an automated email, as there's no possible way they're going to remember everyone's portfolio (or anyone's).
Reply 882
congratulations to everyone getting interviews :smile:
just got an interview for goldsmiths bfa cannot believe it! i feel so sick :eek:
Don't forget to send back your confirmation of being able to attend your Goldsmiths interview, guys; I only just scrolled down and realised I had to do that today, haha.
Reply 884
Original post by Princeling
Hi guys, congratulations on your interviews for Goldsmiths!

I just got a rejection from Slade. :/ Without interview, yet again. I have interviews for Goldsmtihs and Chelsea, and I find it a real bummer that I didn't even get an interview for UCL. Definitely don't understand their standards at all or what they're looking for, but whatever. I'm going to go and do my best to get into unis I did get interviews for. :tongue:

Snap with Slade! After my rejection from leeds i didn't imagine myself getting one for there...and i thought the BFA was less competitive :/
Original post by pongalo
Snap with Slade! After my rejection from leeds i didn't imagine myself getting one for there...and i thought the BFA was less competitive :/

They said that they don't take in to account whether you apply for the BFA or the BA or not. Anyway, onwards and upwards!
Sorry to here about the rejections guys.. I really don't understand it all myself!!

Has anyone heard back from Chelsea BA fine art?!
Original post by Village Whisper
I don't see how they could possibly give me feedback, since I can tell they didn't take the time to look through it all. It's a rip-off for £15, there wasn't even a lot of stuff in there. It'd just be a generic "your portfolio wasn't as strong as others" email, since they wouldn't have much else to write about.

I would've thought that the asking for feedback bit was more for people who have had interviews and been rejected after them, though.

Probably true, idk at the open day the tutor was like if ur feedback is do a foundation then that means apply again next year and I'm not sure why they'd invite someone to interview just to reject them so assumed he was talking about after the portfolio review. But ur right it is just a quick £15000 for them nd I'm not sure I care enough, I just want Glasgow :'(
Original post by kaylafrances
mwahahaha thankkkk you

YAY!!!!! what time's yours? 21st march??

uh oh... nothing here... through email?:frown:
I find it slightly staggering that people are begrudging paying a £15 fee in order to have their whole portfolio viewed. It is a small price to pay in order to ensure the institution you're applying to has an opportunity to view all of your work, as opposed to 10 digital images. Reviewing physical portfolios undoubtedly takes time, and effort from the staff at Slade; we must remember that it is one of the very few art colleges that still gives students the chance to submit physical work for review at the first stage of application.

I won't speak for others, but I know for a fact that the Slade looked through all of the work in my folio- some 30 sheets (and also two dozen drawings) All of the work was re-ordered and clearly throughly looked through thoroughly.

I'd be surprised if the Slade executed portfolio reviews without taking notes. I would like to think that if any applicant requested feedback they would still posess some kind of form which they'd have filled out while reviewing the portfolios which they would be able to refer back to. I'd say it's definately worth asking if you want feedback... If you don't ask you don't get.
Original post by joverbena
uh oh... nothing here... through email?:frown:

My friend hasn't heard anything either, so don't worry yet. Went through the previous year's threads and many Goldsmiths applicants receive interview offers tomorrow/day after.
Original post by Princeling
My friend hasn't heard anything either, so don't worry yet. Went through the previous year's threads and many Goldsmiths applicants receive interview offers tomorrow/day after.

Thanks, will try and keep calm... can't change the result now either way.

Sorry to the people turned down from Slade too

I keep getting UCAS advert emails, such a tease :rolleyes:
Original post by joverbena
Thanks, will try and keep calm... can't change the result now either way.

Sorry to the people turned down from Slade too

I keep getting UCAS advert emails, such a tease :rolleyes:

It is isn't it?! I got one whilst I was still waiting to hear back from Slade, and it gave me a heart attack.
Original post by apretentiousartist
I find it slightly staggering that people are begrudging paying a £15 fee in order to have their whole portfolio viewed. It is a small price to pay in order to ensure the institution you're applying to has an opportunity to view all of your work, as opposed to 10 digital images. Reviewing physical portfolios undoubtedly takes time, and effort from the staff at Slade; we must remember that it is one of the very few art colleges that still gives students the chance to submit physical work for review at the first stage of application.

I won't speak for others, but I know for a fact that the Slade looked through all of the work in my folio- some 30 sheets (and also two dozen drawings) All of the work was re-ordered and clearly throughly looked through thoroughly.

I'd be surprised if the Slade executed portfolio reviews without taking notes. I would like to think that if any applicant requested feedback they would still posess some kind of form which they'd have filled out while reviewing the portfolios which they would be able to refer back to. I'd say it's definately worth asking if you want feedback... If you don't ask you don't get.

In what way is it "staggering" when I clearly explained that my portfolio had not been looked through? It's not a small price to pay when they don't look do what I'm paying them to do. Out of the 1000+ people who brought their portfolios, I highly doubt I'm the only one they didn't really bother with.

Personally, I think it would have been much fairer for them to request a digital portfolio, where everyone had to send in the same number of images/files. There were some people there who brought so much work they had to take some out in the queue, and even when they'd done that they still had a ridiculous amount. It's not really fair when some people listened to when the tutors said "be selective" at the open day/online, and others brought as much as they could carry. I know I could have made the decision to bring more work, but that's not the point.

You make it sound like a good thing that they see everyone's work first. I think it's a terrible idea, really, considering they don't even look at personal statements/applicant information/grades first. They know that they're not going to accept someone with terrible grades, yet I'm sure there were a fair few people who took their work anyway. They could have at least been a bit selective in who they asked to take their work.

And yes, regardless of whether they look through portfolios properly or not, I think £15 is a lot to pay for them to do what they say they do. If it was really so much hassle for them, they would ask for a digital portfolio. £15 per portfolio is ridiculous. Yeah, they're heavy, and yeah, some might take a while to look through, but they certainly didn't earn it in my case.

Just because you got an interview, don't get all high and mighty about how wonderful the Slade is and how hard everyone works just to allow all of us to offer up our work for them to look at before they reject us. There's no need to sound like you're belittling us just because you got an interview. And before you say it, I'm not saying that because I'm jealous. I actually don't care about the Slade anymore, and no I didn't decide that after getting the email. They're greedy and pretentious.
Reply 894
Original post by cocacola123
Sorry to here about the rejections guys.. I really don't understand it all myself!!

Has anyone heard back from Chelsea BA fine art?!

No word from Chelsea yet - :mad: I cant handle all this anxiety on top of keeping up with my art work and my work work - - - :s-smilie: Chelsea is the last one Im waiting to hear from now.
Original post by KED
No word from Chelsea yet - :mad: I cant handle all this anxiety on top of keeping up with my art work and my work work - - - :s-smilie: Chelsea is the last one Im waiting to hear from now.

Ahhh tell me about it!! I've only heard from CSM out of my choices so far but with the others I don't think anyone's heard since digital/ mini-portfolios. Have you had any offers or interviews yet?
Just looked through my emails from Chelsea last year and I didn't hear back until March 14th, when they'd asked for my portfolio February 9th. They're just ridiculously slow so don't worry!
(and don't even get me started on their review system :/)
Reply 897
Original post by cocacola123
Ahhh tell me about it!! I've only heard from CSM out of my choices so far but with the others I don't think anyone's heard since digital/ mini-portfolios. Have you had any offers or interviews yet?

I only had 4 choices cause I withdrew one....

CSM - interview 7th March
Goldsmiths - rejection
Chelsea - arggghhhhhhh!
Camberwell - interview last Friday, waiting for decision

The offers are rolling in for all my classmates, after my Goldsmiths rejection I'll just be happy to get one offer!
Reply 898
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Just looked through my emails from Chelsea last year and I didn't hear back until March 14th, when they'd asked for my portfolio February 9th. They're just ridiculously slow so don't worry!
(and don't even get me started on their review system :/)

14th March :eek: thats so far away!
Original post by KED
14th March :eek: thats so far away!

I know, I didn't have my review until April 4th. They're so slow compared to other unis!

Quick Reply

Latest