The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
I got my results yesterday, 116/120 in Chemistry, 75/80 in Geography and 76/100 in Maths. If my Imperial offer is A*AA, do you think they'd let me in with A*A*B? :')
Reply 861
Original post by Biffmanz
I got my results yesterday, 116/120 in Chemistry, 75/80 in Geography and 76/100 in Maths. If my Imperial offer is A*AA, do you think they'd let me in with A*A*B? :')

It's unlikely. Just work hard for the next exams.
Reply 862
Original post by paulbridger
I really don't want this to sound conceited, but having received my January results, I now realise I have achieved over 90% in all my subjects (average so far), and have also got an A in every A-level exam I've sat. I couldn't apply to Imperial, or Oxbridge, as my GCSEs weren't good enough, and have firmed UCL for this September. My offer for UCL is AAB, and my teachers are predicting me A*A*A. I mean no disrespect to anyone going to UCL, but I don't want to go there if I feel like I could have potentially got into somewhere better, and I'm regretting not applying to Imperial and Oxbridge now... Is there anything I could do?

I think there's something called adjustment that happens in the summer after results where you can try and get onto courses with higher academic requirements, but it's highly unlikely that Oxford/Imperial will have spaces to fill.
Original post by css-
I think there's something called adjustment that happens in the summer after results where you can try and get onto courses with higher academic requirements, but it's highly unlikely that Oxford/Imperial will have spaces to fill.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd bother with that though, as accommodation, and financing would be difficult to sort out..
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd bother with that though, as accommodation, and financing would be difficult to sort out..

If you really wanted to go/apply for the Uni's you've stated, there's always a gap year
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf
If you really wanted to go/apply for the Uni's you've stated, there's always a gap year

I don't really want to do a gap year, as I don't really have the money to do something productive.. My current situation is just to try and do as well as I can in my A-levels, and try and get a first at UCL (If I meet my offer obviously) then try and get onto a PhD programme a couple of years after completing my degree at either Oxbridge or Imperial.
Reply 866
I don't really want to do a gap year, as I don't really have the money to do something productive.. My current situation is just to try and do as well as I can in my A-levels, and try and get a first at UCL (If I meet my offer obviously) then try and get onto a PhD programme a couple of years after completing my degree at either Oxbridge or Imperial.

The alternative would be just to work for a year so you have more money at university.

UCL is a great university though. I expect a lot of people on the course will be A/A* students anyway.
Reply 867
Original post by Zottula
The alternative would be just to work for a year so you have more money at university.

UCL is a great university though. I expect a lot of people on the course will be A/A* students anyway.

I agree, I think UCL has a great geology course, hence why I am firming it and I have A/A* grades..
Original post by Day8
I agree, I think UCL has a great geology course, hence why I am firming it and I have A/A* grades..

Yeah, I too loved UCL, the only reason I am a bit worried is because it has the second lowest student satisfaction out of all the geology departments.. I really hate people negging me.. I have firmed UCL for a reason, and will be happy to go there in the autumn, I'm just exploring all my options.
Reply 869
Yeah, I too loved UCL, the only reason I am a bit worried is because it has the second lowest student satisfaction out of all the geology departments.. I really hate people negging me.. I have firmed UCL for a reason, and will be happy to go there in the autumn, I'm just exploring all my options.

cool, right I see.. well the students I met seemed to be happy with everything but I understand your concern, lets just hope we all as individuals will enjoy it! They may attempt to improve on it over the year as well. aha I remember you negging me.. (: but I guess you did positive afterwards so I'll do the same :smile: cool, well I guess that is probably a smart thing to do
Reply 870
When did I neg you, and how could you tell? In my opinion, the current students aren't really an accurate representation, as they are paid to sell the department.. But I've made it my personal mission to improve the satisfaction associated with the department, if I get in, and they do seem to be making a concerted effort to improve things. Sorry if I'm being grumpy today, I've been listening to far too much Adele for my liking.. :biggrin:

aha you told me! then you said it was unnecessary so you positive rated me :smile: but I have run out of ratings for today so you will have to wait (: yea that is really true, but they did seem to be a close group that got on well. ah cool well I would want to improve it too, yea well at least that is something. aha that's okay, she is a good singer! I was a bit grumpy last night too.. so apologies for the negative, too tired for my liking :smile:
Reply 871

Where did you get information from? I haven't seen any low satisfaction ratings :s-smilie:.
Original post by Day8
aha you told me! then you said it was unnecessary so you positive rated me :smile: but I have run out of ratings for today so you will have to wait (: yea that is really true, but they did seem to be a close group that got on well. ah cool well I would want to improve it too, yea well at least that is something. aha that's okay, she is a good singer! I was a bit grumpy last night too.. so apologies for the negative, too tired for my liking :smile:

I didn't give you the neg.. somebody else did, and I was saying it was unnecessary to I pos-repped you :P Haha, it's cool.
Original post by Zottula
Where did you get information from? I haven't seen any low satisfaction ratings :s-smilie:.

A lot of places... even at my Leicester UCAS day they rubbed it in.. saying stuff like we have the highest compared to UCL and Derby which have the lowest :rolleyes:
Reply 874
A lot of places... even at my Leicester UCAS day they rubbed it in.. saying stuff like we have the highest compared to UCL and Derby which have the lowest :rolleyes:

Wow. Petty. It's all rubbish anyway. The stats are different everywhere you look. I just had a look on a couple of league tables and there's nothing wrong with UCL's satisfaction rates. I wouldn't bother obsessing over it. You'll probably love it there. It's a brilliant university.
Reply 875
I didn't give you the neg.. somebody else did, and I was saying it was unnecessary to I pos-repped you :P Haha, it's cool.

ahh whoopsie I assumed you did :smile: I'll post-rep you soon.. (:
Original post by Zottula
Wow. Petty. It's all rubbish anyway. The stats are different everywhere you look. I just had a look on a couple of league tables and there's nothing wrong with UCL's satisfaction rates. I wouldn't bother obsessing over it. You'll probably love it there. It's a brilliant university.

Thanks for the reassurance (:
Original post by Day8
ahh whoopsie I assumed you did :smile: I'll post-rep you soon.. (:

Haha, thanks :P
Reply 878
Original post by JodieJenga
Hey there :smile:

I also have offers from Exeter and Aberdeen (but Exeter its for mining engineering) I know what you mean it is difficult, they both have really good links to industry. You need to think about which industry you might prefer and the areas, Exerer is good for mining and probably better for international links, and aberdeen is good for oil..Im sorta swaying towards exeter because of the lifestyle, beach, countryside etc, and not as cold as scotland....but part of me wants to go Leeds because of the nightlife thing, ugh decisions :/

I know this probably isnt very helpful but its just nice to hear someone has the same issue as me in a way :smile:

Hi

I am also swaying heavily towards Exeter because of it industry links to the Mining industry abroad to be honest with you. So I think I will be firming Exeter. How bout you? Have you decided yet?
Reply 879
Obviously Imperial is held in much higher regard, and so would benefit you in the future when applying for jobs. But, if you don't think you would be happy there then go for Exeter. Life is for living, and there isn't much point spending 3/4 years doing a degree if you are not enjoying it. In addition, Exeter has very good links with industry.

Having said that I personally would still choose Imperial, as it is supposed to have the best earth science department in the UK, if not in the world (:

Of course we only have different peoples opinions and league tables on those statements. Unless somebody has studied at both UCL and Camborne school of Mines, then its very hard to give a subjective conclusion. Colorado School of Mines is held in very high regard, as is the Massechussetts School of Technology, but then again, it all depends on who is formulating the "high regard" review. All in all its very subjective and depends very much on which reports one reads.

Quick Reply

Latest