The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rac1
Thankyou:smile:

Thankyou, been doubting God's existence a lot today, but I haven't been on a "spiritual journey" for quite a while, so I'm trying to suffer well through it. Feel a lot better than I did a few hours ago. Isn't it odd how you can still love God but doubt his existence anyway...

Sorry i don't know what the music is either.
thought I would share this,don't know if you have already seen it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZG3O-SbX8Y

I'm sorry you've been having a lot of doubts today. I can empathise with that. I'm sure you can talk about them here, if it would help to discuss it with fellow Catholics. Or you can PM me if you like. I probably won't have answers but I'm a good listener :smile:

It is indeed very odd how we can do such things like loving God whilst doubting Him :five:

Looks like an interesting video! Thanks for linking! Will watch it later on.

I have an interview tomorrow morning for the role of parish secretary in my home church. (Supposed to be today but got rescheduled.) Please pray for me. Obviously I want Fr L's decision to follow God's will but it would be an ideal job for me to have over the next few years :h:
Reply 4001
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm sorry you've been having a lot of doubts today. I can empathise with that. I'm sure you can talk about them here, if it would help to discuss it with fellow Catholics. Or you can PM me if you like. I probably won't have answers but I'm a good listener :smile:

It is indeed very odd how we can do such things like loving God whilst doubting Him :five:

Looks like an interesting video! Thanks for linking! Will watch it later on.

I have an interview tomorrow morning for the role of parish secretary in my home church. (Supposed to be today but got rescheduled.) Please pray for me. Obviously I want Fr L's decision to follow God's will but it would be an ideal job for me to have over the next few years :h:

Over the last sortof month and a half I've been having bouts of scrupulosity it's not been great, I think I've just realised that my faith is quite weak, i.e. when I hear other people's doubts such as on TSR they sort of become my own, which is odd because because I don't remember that happening before now. And I've also realised that there is a lot of things that I don't know/don't understand/can't explain. Anyway, I think what I need most is a good book to explain everything, and more time spent praying.

what does anyone think of this book? It seems to have got good reviews and is quite recent.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/YOUCAT-Official-Catechism-Catholic-Church/dp/1860827284/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333622030&sr=8-1

Sorry for clogging up the thread:colondollar:

Hope all goes well for your interview:smile:
Reply 4002
Original post by rac1
what does anyone think of this book? It seems to have got good reviews and is quite recent.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/YOUCAT-Official-Catechism-Catholic-Church/dp/1860827284/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333622030&sr=8-1

Get it :yep:
It's very good. It's nice and clear and explains pretty much all of the church's teachings in a easy to understand and accessible way.
Reply 4003
Original post by aula
get it :yep:
It's very good. It's nice and clear and explains pretty much all of the church's teachings in a easy to understand and accessible way.

thankyou!
Original post by rac1
Over the last sortof month and a half I've been having bouts of scrupulosity it's not been great, I think I've just realised that my faith is quite weak, i.e. when I hear other people's doubts such as on TSR they sort of become my own, which is odd because because I don't remember that happening before now. And I've also realised that there is a lot of things that I don't know/don't understand/can't explain. Anyway, I think what I need most is a good book to explain everything, and more time spent praying.

Sorry for clogging up the thread:colondollar:

Hope all goes well for your interview:smile:

:hugs: Scrupulosity is a complete bitch. I have issues with it too. To the extent that I sent my confessor a text demanding to see him on one of his busiest days of the year, just so I could wail at him and tell him all my sins :colondollar: (Fortunately being the lovely man he is, he's slotted me in tomorrow morning.)

Not to worry: I can't explain many things either. Thanks for linking to the YouCat: I had forgotten I'd been meaning to buy that! Will have to get it soon :yes:

Thanks. Interview went alright but 78 people have applied for the job, so I won't get it :frown:
Reply 4005
This one seems a bit longer though, and someone is selling it for £1.77:colondollar::smile:well from texas so plus £2.80 delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Catholic-Faith-Handbook-Youth/dp/088489987X/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333632804&sr=1-9
Reply 4006
:hugs: Scrupulosity is a complete bitch. I have issues with it too. To the extent that I sent my confessor a text demanding to see him on one of his busiest days of the year, just so I could wail at him and tell him all my sins :colondollar: (Fortunately being the lovely man he is, he's slotted me in tomorrow morning.)

Not to worry: I can't explain many things either. Thanks for linking to the YouCat: I had forgotten I'd been meaning to buy that! Will have to get it soon :yes:

Thanks. Interview went alright but 78 people have applied for the job, so I won't get it :frown:

I haven't actually told a priest that I think I have it:colondollar: but I know it'll be okay. apparently Saint Alphonsus suffered from it a lot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Alphonsus_Liguori

Maybe you will get the job, but oh well they do say "as one door closes another one opens".:smile:
Reply 4007
Original post by rac1
This one seems a bit longer though, and someone is selling it for £1.77:colondollar::smile:well from texas so plus £2.80 delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Catholic-Faith-Handbook-Youth/dp/088489987X/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333632804&sr=1-9

They're two different things. The youcat is the youth version of the catechism, which is all the teachings of the church. So the youth version of http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catechism-Catholic-Church-catholic-church/dp/0860123278/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333635460&sr=1-1
The handbook looks like it's more descriptive. You might even want to think about getting both?
Reply 4008
They seem slightly different, but I was reading a review on the hardback version and someone said quite vehemently that the handbook was overly critical of basically everything pre-vaticanII, so I've decided to stick with YOUCAT. :smile:

Bought it from here though:smile:
http://www.cts-online.org.uk/acatalog/info_DO845.html

Feeling a bit nervous :gasp::smile:
Original post by rac1
I haven't actually told a priest that I think I have it:colondollar: but I know it'll be okay. apparently Saint Alphonsus suffered from it a lot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Alphonsus_Liguori

Maybe you will get the job, but oh well they do say "as one door closes another one opens".:smile:

Maybe you should tell your priest. Or do you not have much contact with him outside of services? :smile:
What time's everyone's mass tonight?
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
What time's everyone's mass tonight?

8pm. The church will be open til Midnight though :yes:
Same with us. Tomorrow our Cathedral has got the Passion Liturgy at 4pm (because the actual cathedral is closed and it has to borrow another Church)
Ours has just finished, I was picked as one of the people to get their feet washed, it's quite awkward getting your feet washed by the priest in front of the whole congregation!
Original post by jerseymackem
Ours has just finished, I was picked as one of the people to get their feet washed, it's quite awkward getting your feet washed by the priest in front of the whole congregation!

Good on you for doing it! I would have but there was confusion over whether women could go up or not (new parish priest, who equally didn't know what he should do/say) :yes:

Well I've had a very holy 24 hours. Started off with Mass yesterday at 6.30pm, followed by doing the parish priest's recycling for him :eek: Then a job interview for parish secretary this morning, followed by Mass this evening and me unexpectedly volunteering to join the church choir :biggrin:
Good on you for doing it! I would have but there was confusion over whether women could go up or not (new parish priest, who equally didn't know what he should do/say) :yes:

Well I've had a very holy 24 hours. Started off with Mass yesterday at 6.30pm, followed by doing the parish priest's recycling for him :eek: Then a job interview for parish secretary this morning, followed by Mass this evening and me unexpectedly volunteering to join the church choir :biggrin:

Nice one;

I've been back about ten minutes; really nice Mass. Made up for the fact that I was unable to make the Chrism mass because of the snow (because our Cathedral is closed until September they moved it to another deanery)

Me and my Mum did the offertory - we stopped for ten minutes after the procession into the 'weekday chapel' where the Blessed Sacrament is in repose until midnight.

The thing about this mass is that you can almost play the scene in your mind.
Reply 4016

Awesome! :h:
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Nice one;

I've been back about ten minutes; really nice Mass. Made up for the fact that I was unable to make the Chrism mass because of the snow (because our Cathedral is closed until September they moved it to another deanery)

Me and my Mum did the offertory - we stopped for ten minutes after the procession into the 'weekday chapel' where the Blessed Sacrament is in repose until midnight.

The thing about this mass is that you can almost play the scene in your mind.

Glad you enjoyed the Mass and that you played an important part in it. How long is the snow meant to hang around for Up North? No sign of snow this end :nah:
Original post by Aula
Awesome! :h:

Indeedy :five:

Did you manage to find out Mass times etc in the end? :smile:
Reply 4019
Indeedy :five:

Did you manage to find out Mass times etc in the end? :smile:

Nope :no:

I'm presuming it'll be 3pm tomorrow and that I can find out when the vigil is then. Didn't matter for today anyway, 'cause I didn't really feel up to going this evening. I hate having colds :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest