The Student Room Group

C2: Trigonometrical equations

Hi everyone, I’ve got a question 3tanx+2cosx=03 \tan x + 2 \cos x = 0 that I really don’t know what to do with! I’d be really grateful if someone could give me some pointers.

So I thought it would be the tanθ=sinθcosθ\tan \theta = \frac {\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} identity that would be useful here. So I rearranged to
3sinxcosx+2cosx=03 \frac {\sin x}{\cos x} + 2 \cos x = 0 but then after that my mind froze and I really didn’t know what to do! :confused:
Multiply each term by cos x. Now it is possible to form a quadratic equation in sin x.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
Multiply each term by cos x. Now it is possible to form a quadratic equation in sin x.

Applying knowledge of cos2x+sin2x=1, additionally.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
you are going the right way. after where you got upto youget (3sinx/cosx)+2cosx=0 therefore (3sinx/cosx)=-2cosx so then 3sinx = -2cos^2x you should know what cos^2x is equivalent to and then when you substitute that you get a quadratic equation and get two values for sin x and then solve them for their given ranges. i dunno if im doing this right because you havent given the answer but i got sinx = -0.5 or 2
Original post by dslc

I bet you blurt out the punchlines to jokes too.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M
I bet you blurt out the punchlines to jokes too.

Well actually, what you said was wrong.

It wasn't possible to form a quadratic without applying the information I added.

Apologies if I stole a little of your TSR thunder though.
Original post by dslc
Well actually, what you said was wrong.

It wasn't possible to form a quadratic without applying the information I added.

Apologies if I stole a little of your TSR thunder though.

"The butler did it!"
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for your help - that's really cleared it up for me :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by dslc

Could please help me with some statistic concepts?
Reply 9
Original post by kingfisher
Could please help me with some statistic concepts?

I can try and help you with some statistics concepts, yes.

Perhaps consider starting a new thread however, given that they'd be unrelated to trigonometrical equations.

Quick Reply

Latest