The Student Room Group

I'm torn between medicine and dentistry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by anthonyfl
Which one did you meet?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Keir Shiels (from the 1st series). I've also chatted to someone who was at medical school with Aki from this series and apparently he is really quite different in reality to how he was portrayed on the programme, (not negatively, just different), tho that is admittedly hearsay.
Reply 61
Original post by allthelove
I don't have a gun. Will a rolling pin do? :tongue:

:dontknow: It's worth a shot. Let us know how it goes if you don't get arrested. Of course, I'd just threaten to pick my nose in public, maybe wipe it on the counter.

Original post by halfadoc
Aki is really quite different in reality to how he was portrayed on the programme

All lies. LIES!:zomg:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
[QUOTE=
All lies. LIES!:zomg:

Not bad different! Just apparently more studious and less partyish than he was portrayed
Reply 63
Not bad different! Just apparently more studious and less partyish than he was portrayed

What did you expect? He went to Imperial ... of course he was going to be more studious and less partyish.
Reply 64

Tbh, I did largely suspect that the junior docs were portrayed in a highly one-dimensional way, but I never considered that Aki might be less of a party animal! I remember wondering how he got into Imperial in the first place, so I guess that's one mystery solved then!

Still, a studious Aki :K:
Original post by ruby321
I suppose, I understand for medical work experience as you'll be in surgery and standing quite close, loads of things could go wrong - I had to go through the school and get insurance for that but with dentistry it's such a tiny risk for a someone watching, same risk really as for a parent watching. As I said, its probably more due to laziness/easiness lol :smile: How are you liking being a dentist by the way?

If you think there is no risk to someone observing in a dental practice, then you're very wrong lol. Biggest risk is sharps injuries and aerosols.

Being a dentist is good! :smile:
It's a good happy-medium but I find it's more the saving lies aspect to medicine that fascinates me and doing smile makeovers etc for dentistry :smile: thanks for the suggestion!! :biggrin:

max fax surgeons save lives and faces !
Reply 67
Original post by ruby321
I didn't find it that accurate! Though to be fair it does depend on which ward your in. When I shadowed an f1, all he seemed to do is go for tea breaks and just randomly sneak off. No one even noticed either. He snuck off and left me and another work experience guy who was with me there on the ward for about 2 hours. We were bored out of our minds to say the least. The elderly unit I was on was worse, the most quiet and depressing place I have been in I think, was put with an f2 who despised people, and therefore hated her job lol. You are really stupid if you chose your future career because of a programme.

It doesn't sound like your work experience was on an average ward! F1's are usually kept very busy. And just to clarify I didn't base my career on this programme, I'm a fourth year, I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to base their choice on a tv programme rather than see how they find the whole experience personally, but from what I've seen on rotations I do think its reasonably accurate.
Reply 68
Original post by jam-donut
What did you expect? He went to Imperial ... of course he was going to be more studious and less partyish.

This is very true!
Reply 69
Original post by zippyRN
max fax surgeons save lives and faces !
Do they really? I've never heard of them saving lives (not disagreeing with you, just asking).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vian
Do they really? I've never heard of them saving lives.

are you suggesting a leFort III is not a life threatening injury ?

are you suggesting that some of the facial cancer work that OMF do is not life saving ?
Reply 71
Original post by zippyRN
are you suggesting a leFort III is not a life threatening injury ?

are you suggesting that some of the facial cancer work that OMF do is not life saving ?

I wasn't suggesting anything, merely asking. It seems that OMFS really do save lives, now that I've researched leFort and facial cancer. Thanks for the info!
OP - firstly, congratulations on setting up that sort of work experience placement with the dental practice; a lot of people would kill for that breadth of time. Work experience in both settings is key if you're unsure; remember to talk to people in the field because they are the most accurate and reliable sources you're going to get (their views should be held in much higher regard than people's on here!). I hope you enjoy them :yep:

Secondly, few warnings:

I have a genuine like for teeth and have wanted to become a dentist for a while. I would love to give people great smiles, I especially like the cosmetic aspect.

I don't fancy being stuck in the same room with someone all week though, I prefer the hospital working environment. Managing my own practice for dentistry also appeals to me though.

I'm not in it for the money either!

It's a good happy-medium but I find it's more the saving lies aspect to medicine that fascinates me and doing smile makeovers etc for dentistry :smile: thanks for the suggestion!! :biggrin:

Just a pointer - do not use these sorts of phrases in your PS. Your reasons, though no doubt genuine, will flag up as grossly overused and quite frankly show naivete about the profession.

Spoiler

Bear in mind OP, the majority of people you will meet and talk to will probably seem as though they're attempting to dissuade/put you off. While disheartening at first, don't take this personally; people say it for your own benefit. Both careers are tough, and some people go into them with the wrong expectations and for entirely the wrong reasons.

Best of luck in finalising your choices :grin:
Reply 73
Original post by ruby321
Good point :smile: Do you ever feel like you've made the wrong decision? The only thing really, that's sort of putting me off the profession is the fact that you will probably work in such a small surgery and stay in the same place. I wanna see the world (If that makes sense! lol) Also you might have to move far away from all your friends to get a job and so you might get a bit lonely

Isn't it almost exactly the same with medicine? As in staying in the same hospital/surgery once you get comfortable and perhaps having to move to other parts of the country if you're unlucky? If you get bored of the same surgery you could always apply somewhere else. Most of the dentists I know work in two practices anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
I know this is catering to the lowest common denominator, but in answer to all those trolls who always bring up the 'rooting around in someone's disgusting mouth' argument.

What about the DRE doctors have to preform just for starters (D is for digital, go figure the rest)?! Believe me there are worse places to be poking around!
Reply 75
Original post by cptKernow
I know this is catering to the lowest common denominator, but in answer to all those trolls who always bring up the 'rooting around in someone's disgusting mouth' argument.

What about the DRE doctors have to preform just for starters (D is for digital, go figure the rest)?! Believe me there are worse places to be poking around!

Exactly! And you do have gloves on, so it's not that bad

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 76
Original post by ruby321
Lol! I know I'm sure somewhere like A&E will be chaos! Especially on a Friday night. I was with all the oldies instead. No no I didn't suggest you did, I think someone else on this thread said they wanted to do medicine because the programme looked cool. If my work experience turned out like the programme then I probably would be doing medicine right now too :wink: haha

Fair enough :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by cptKernow

LOL, so true! That's why I can only facepalm when medical applicants act like the mouth is disgusting! :facepalm:

Original post by ruby321
Forgot about working in two practices. Good idea :smile: I don't know, I think hospitals have a better atmosphere than a surgery. What if you hated your colleagues, it's not like you can get away?

You can work at a hospital as a dentist too! I'm thinking of working in a hospital whenif I graduate from dental school (assuming I get in at all!), though the hours are supposed to be absolutely awful. I'm afraid I don't get your last point though.
Original post by Vian
LOL, so true! That's why I can only facepalm when medical applicants act like the mouth is disgusting! :facepalm:

You can work at a hospital as a dentist too! I'm thinking of working in a hospital whenif I graduate from dental school (assuming I get in at all!), though the hours are supposed to be absolutely awful. I'm afraid I don't get your last point though.

Why are the hours awful?
Reply 79
Original post by rowdy-rathore
Why are the hours awful?

On call, night shifts etc. Same deal as junior docs to start with. I was talking to some SH1 dentists in a hospital and one had been up for 20 hours. Also, they are expected to stitch up the heads / faces of the drunks on Fri/Sat night as hospital dentistry covers this.

The other drawback to hospital is the surgical work is mostly extractions, particularly wisdom teeth and kids. This will limit your ability to get back into general practice after a while.
On the plus side, there is a lot of variety in the clinics, including beyond the mouth

Quick Reply

Latest