The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by minimus777
Umm, i completely don't belong on this thread because i'm a GCSE student :colondollar: But i was just wondering, would any of the top unis for maths consider an applicant who didn't have physics A level? (assuming they have further maths and the rest of their application is fine)

Sorry for intruding on your thread :smile:

I know certain Cambridge colleges say physics is 'preferred' and others say it's 'useful'... I think there's about three that don't mention physics at all; Sidney Sussex for one. I spoke to someone at the Manchester offer/interview day who didn't take physics - and I know offer holders from Warwick who don't have physics.

I'd definitely recommend taking it, though.
Original post by Jeppasloth
Of course. What will you be doing instead?

I'd be doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology and French. You see the problem is that i really can't decide between medicine and maths. So i need chem and bio for if i go with medicine and maths and further for if i go with maths. That only leaves one option and i'd really like to a contrasting subject (i love french).

I don't really want to make a decision between medicine and maths at the moment cos i'm so young which is why i'm trying to make sure that i don't cut out any of my options with my A level choices :smile:

Of course, for all i know, i could epically fail at Maths A level, this would make the decision a lot easier for me :tongue:
Original post by Zuzuzu
I know certain Cambridge colleges say physics is 'preferred' and others say it's 'useful'... I think there's about three that don't mention physics at all; Sidney Sussex for one. I spoke to someone at the Manchester offer/interview day who didn't take physics - and I know offer holders from Warwick who don't have physics.

I'd definitely recommend taking it, though.

Thank you, that's quite reassuring.

I would like to take it, but my reasons for not are in the horribly long post above, if you can be bothered to read it :tongue:
Reply 183
Umm, i completely don't belong on this thread because i'm a GCSE student :colondollar: But i was just wondering, would any of the top unis for maths consider an applicant who didn't have physics A level? (assuming they have further maths and the rest of their application is fine)

Sorry for intruding on your thread :smile:

:hi:
I have offers from Cambridge (a college that 'recommends' physics), Warwick and Imperial. In case it's unclear I don't take physics :biggrin:.

However if you know now that you want to take maths and you don't utterly detest physics/have another subject that you'd much rather take, I'd recommend doing it.
Reply 184

I'd be doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology and French. You see the problem is that i really can't decide between medicine and maths. So i need chem and bio for if i go with medicine and maths and further for if i go with maths. That only leaves one option and i'd really like to a contrasting subject (i love french).

I don't really want to make a decision between medicine and maths at the moment cos i'm so young which is why i'm trying to make sure that i don't cut out any of my options with my A level choices :smile:

Of course, for all i know, i could epically fail at Maths A level, this would make the decision a lot easier for me :tongue:

Chemistry and Biology should be fine as a substitute for physics.
Original post by Schnecke
:hi:
I have offers from Cambridge (a college that 'recommends' physics), Warwick and Imperial. In case it's unclear I don't take physics :biggrin:.

However if you know now that you want to take maths and you don't utterly detest physics/have another subject that you'd much rather take, I'd recommend doing it.

:ta: that's good to hear :biggrin:

My reasons for not doing physics are a couple of posts up if you want to know :smile:
Original post by ttoby
Chemistry and Biology should be fine as a substitute for physics.

Cool, thanks :smile:

You'll be absolutely fine with those options as long as you do well in maths and further maths.
Original post by Jeppasloth
You'll be absolutely fine with those options as long as you do well in maths and further maths.

Ok, thanks :smile:
Is additional further maths any use whatsoever as an additional AS?
Reply 190
Hey guys!

I'm only in year 12 at the present time, so whether or not I'm asking too early I don't know but I would've thought it'd be good to consider my options now.

I only really started enjoying maths at the start of year 12; before that, in some cases, it was a chore. I know I can probably get into a good university with the level of work I'm doing now but I'm concerned about my gcses. I would've thought that at universities such as Warwick etc. competition for places is tough; at GCSE I only achieved 4A* 4A and 1.5B (0.5 comes from short course ICT :colondollar:). I did get an A* in Mathematics so I'm hoping they'll be alright!

Should I just concentrate on my maths modules for year 12 at the moment?
Reply 191
Original post by Femto
Hey guys!

I'm only in year 12 at the present time, so whether or not I'm asking too early I don't know but I would've thought it'd be good to consider my options now.

I only really started enjoying maths at the start of year 12; before that, in some cases, it was a chore. I know I can probably get into a good university with the level of work I'm doing now but I'm concerned about my gcses. I would've thought that at universities such as Warwick etc. competition for places is tough; at GCSE I only achieved 4A* 4A and 1.5B (0.5 comes from short course ICT :colondollar:). I did get an A* in Mathematics so I'm hoping they'll be alright!

Those GCSEs are fine for any university provided they're complemented with solid AS levels.
Original post by j.alexanderh
Is additional further maths any use whatsoever as an additional AS?

Not worth the effort. Maths and further maths is plenty.
Original post by alexs2602
Not worth the effort. Maths and further maths is plenty.

Of course it's helpful if you can cope with it (I would expect someone who is applying to the top courses to be able to do it with reasonable comfort). A good performance shows that you are able to handle a heavy and advanced mathematical work load and can manage your time very well. If they person is sure that they can perform consistently well at it then I'd certainly suggest doing it. I would have taken it had it been available on my exam board.
Original post by Femto
Hey guys!

It's certainly a good idea to think about it now. Warwick gives out offers to practically everyone, it's just that the offer is pretty tough to meet for a lot of people (A*A*A + 2 in STEP or A*AA + 1 in STEP).

GCSEs almost certainly do not matter to any institution for maths as long as you've got a few A*s here and there. I only have 3 but hold offers from some pretty decent Universities so your GCSEs are just fine.

Aim for straight As at AS to start off with. If you're thinking of applying to Cambridge or UCL, they look for high UMS marks in your maths modules so you'll need to average around 93%+ to have a strong chance of getting a place (at Cambridge, at least. UCL may expect something around the 90% mark). Of course, loads of people get rejected with those marks as well as loads of people get accepted with less than that so don't dwell too much on it, just do your best to maximise your chances.
Reply 194
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
It's certainly a good idea to think about it now. Warwick gives out offers to practically everyone, it's just that the offer is pretty tough to meet for a lot of people (A*A*A + 2 in STEP or A*AA + 1 in STEP).

GCSEs almost certainly do not matter to any institution for maths as long as you've got a few A*s here and there. I only have 3 but hold offers from some pretty decent Universities so your GCSEs are just fine.

Aim for straight As at AS to start off with. If you're thinking of applying to Cambridge or UCL, they look for high UMS marks in your maths modules so you'll need to average around 93%+ to have a strong chance of getting a place (at Cambridge, at least. UCL may expect something around the 90% mark). Of course, loads of people get rejected with those marks as well as loads of people get accepted with less than that so don't dwell too much on it, just do your best to maximise your chances.

Yeah - thanks very much. I'm working hard at the moment. I have to be careful though; I don't want to focus too much on Maths and neglect my other subjects.

I suppose in a way I have to deal with quite alot of work aswell; Further Maths is so undersubscribed where I study that it cannot run as a proper A level, meaning that I must take it as extra. Then there's extended project, general studies :rolleyes: (And given the choice I wouldn't be doing these)

Arrgh. Sorry for ranting a bit. I'd just rather have less A level subjects if you can catch my drift :cool:

Thanks anyway guys!
Reply 195
GCSE: A*AAAABBBBBBD

AS levels: Maths, Further (self-taught, well not really.. I'm tutored but they'll never know), Chem + Physics.

What unis should I apply to provided I get around the AAA-ABB Mark?

EDIT: I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh/UCL-ish kind of places
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 196

They sound like very sensible choices to me :smile:

I'm a bit older and applying to study maths as a mature student. I've previously dropped out of a medical degree and as such I have Maths, Chem, Bio. I sent emails to a lot of departments and none of them seemed put out at all by these subjects. If you enjoy French and think you'll do well, that's going to be much better for you and you'll probably do better in all your subjects.
Original post by ilyking
GCSE: A*AAAABBBBBBD

AS levels: Maths, Further (self-taught, well not really.. I'm tutored but they'll never know), Chem + Physics.

What unis should I apply to provided I get around the AAA-ABB Mark?

EDIT: I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh/UCL-ish kind of places

UCL is very different to Edinburgh. :p:

UCL get to see your UMS marks in maths (they request it, similar to Cambridge) and at an open day I was told that they look for roughly a 92% average over all the maths modules you have taken. There's not much point applying to UCL with less than around 88%. Ask this question again once you get your AS results.
Original post by alibee
They sound like very sensible choices to me :smile:

I'm a bit older and applying to study maths as a mature student. I've previously dropped out of a medical degree and as such I have Maths, Chem, Bio. I sent emails to a lot of departments and none of them seemed put out at all by these subjects. If you enjoy French and think you'll do well, that's going to be much better for you and you'll probably do better in all your subjects.

Ooo, what made you switch to maths?
Reply 199

Ooo, what made you switch to maths?

Oh gosh well I really hated medicine! I left that long before I decided what else I wanted to study. I've worked managing a shop for 3 years and have decided that I need to go back to uni before the rest of my brain rots :p:

I decided I wanted to be a doctor at a young age and when i got started on placements, I really couldn't be bothered with it. I found it boring. Just not suited to me.

Having taken some time out and taken some OU courses, I can see that I want to study maths at a higher level. I'm applying for MORSE type courses at all 5 unis, maths for management basically.

Quick Reply