The Student Room Group

Synaesthesia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amwazicles
How does that one work?

I just looked it up, and I have it too, though I didn't realise it was another kind of synaethesia!

Basically it's when, if you think about the days of the week, or different years, or the past/future, they are visualised in sort of map-like way. You could point to the space that Tuesday occupies, or describe the direction that the passage of time follows. For example - when I think about time, I'm standing on 2012, looking permanently into the past of a long timeline that slants downwards to my left. :tongue:

Original post by lightburns
I mix up words that are really similar (Biology/Sociology, Exeter/Warwick, etc. are pretty much the same words). People look at me funny when I say "it's a university, not Warwick, but it starts with a W. Or a really similar letter, like E or X or something..... Ohh! Exeter! See, I was close with Warwick."

I do this too! I often confuse words beginning with or containing a prominent F, W or T because they're all green letters. Those are my worst ones, although A and E are both yellow and that can be a bit annoying too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Try listening to "Joseph and the technicolour dreamcoat" that will **** your **** up.
Reply 22
Original post by darkestskies
I just looked it up, and I have it too, though I didn't realise it was another kind of synaethesia!

Basically it's when, if you think about the days of the week, or different years, or the past/future, they are visualised in sort of map-like way. You could point to the space that Tuesday occupies, or describe the direction that the passage of time follows. For example - when I think about time, I'm standing on 2012, looking permanently into the past of a long timeline that slants downwards to my left. :tongue:

I do this too! I often confuse words beginning with or containing a prominent F, W or T because they're all green letters. Those are my worst ones, although A and E are both yellow and that can be a bit annoying too.

Hey you know what I do all that stuff to. Switzerland and New Zealand I always confuse, people are like how do you confuse them? Hellooo they both contain a Z and end with "land".
Original post by darkestskies

Hooray for people who understand!

E, X and W are all blue / grey . Yes, similar shades of blue or grey are practically the same thing. But the colours are only minor if you get what I mean - I know what the colours are when I think about it, but I have to think about it.
The feeling that "Exeter" and "Warwick" are the same word? Completely automatic and impossible to turn off.
Hooray for people who understand!

E, X and W are all blue / grey . Yes, similar shades of blue or grey are practically the same thing. But the colours are only minor if you get what I mean - I know what the colours are when I think about it, but I have to think about it.
The feeling that "Exeter" and "Warwick" are the same word? Completely automatic and impossible to turn off.

I tend to colour whole numbers. So 34 won't be a coloured 3 and a coloured 4, it'll just be the colour of 3. So when two people give me phone numbers that start with the same number, I'll get them mixed up. Other than that it's great for memory. I also see concepts in space/time and hear colours.
Reply 25
How does that one work?

Really rather well!

I don't suppose mortals can actually imagine it, but a crude description would be that it's like having a complex and navigable/manipulable calendar visible in my mind almost like it's real in front of me, with a very particular geometry and structure which I can zoom in and out of and scroll through forwards or backwards as I wish, at whatever magnification (e.g. seconds to decades). It's invoked any time I consider time or dates past, present or future and can be overwhelming sometimes.

I "enjoy" similar constructs for numbers and maths, the alphabet, and so on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LipstickKisses
I tend to colour whole numbers. So 34 won't be a coloured 3 and a coloured 4, it'll just be the colour of 3. So when two people give me phone numbers that start with the same number, I'll get them mixed up. Other than that it's great for memory. I also see concepts in space/time and hear colours.

How do you see concepts in space/time? Just interested because I have no idea how that works, and I guess people who have that will see it very differently. So you might be very different to other people's answers on this thread.

I have before got off at 'Surrey Quays' rather than my stop 'Canada Water' because I realised too late that they were different things. It's not just memory that synaesthesia can screw around with :frown:
Fortunately there was another train in a few minutes, and they're only one stop apart, but imagine if you did that with an hourly train.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
I perceive numbers and letters as colours, but its odd, I dont really get it with new symbols from maths I see - I percieve them all black like ink, so I must have developed this when I was younger. Its a bit annoying sometimes when you get mixed up between the spellings of words because certain letters have similar colours. In words, each character has it's own colour, but the first letter is dominant and from a distance (in my mind) apears as that colour
(edited 12 years ago)
How do you see concepts in space/time? Just interested because I have no idea how that works, and I guess people who have that will see it very differently. So you might be very different to other people's answers on this thread.

I don't fully know how to explain it, but I'll give it a go...

Spoiler

I have before got off at 'Surrey Quays' rather than my stop 'Canada Water' because I realised too late that they were different things. It's not just memory that synaesthesia can screw around with :frown:
Fortunately there was another train in a few minutes, and they're only one stop apart, but imagine if you did that with an hourly train.

Now that would be annoying :eek: Mine's never done that luckily!
I don't fully know how to explain it, but I'll give it a go...

Spoiler

I do agree. You are crazy! Crazy crazy crazy!

In a good way, that's a compliment. Thanks for explaining :smile:

Now that would be annoying :eek: Mine's never done that luckily!

If I'm not thinking about it properly, then my head automatically sorts the information into 'getting off at the grey one' rather than what the actual words say. It's an unconscious short-hand. Easier to sort through and organise information that way. But it can create difficulties :frown:
I have orgasm synaesthesia. I know it sounds made-up. But yeah, I see colours when I orgasm (different colours for different intensities, people and positions) :teehee:

I would love to have the other kinds.
Reply 31
Original post by Kallistrate
I have spatial sequence synaesthesia- I see time. I also have elements of colour association synaesthesia, not sure what the proper word for it is.
That is cool. What is it like (genuinely interested)?
Original post by Tootles
That is cool. What is it like (genuinely interested)?

Haha thanks. Uhh well it depends on what kind of time I'm thinking about, the year is a bit like a huge, dark, rectangular ferris wheel that I've been travelling around for as long as I can remember. I also have a long term timeline which drifts off to my left, then turns sharply forwards and away from me at around 1900, then turns left again at around the year 0. I can zoom in on sections of this if I need to, which comes in very handy in History exams, as I can see exactly what happened and when :tongue: There's another timeline for more short term time, ie the next week or so, but all these different visions kind of fit into each other :smile:

Are you a synesthete too?
Reply 33
Haha thanks. Uhh well it depends on what kind of time I'm thinking about, the year is a bit like a huge, dark, rectangular ferris wheel that I've been travelling around for as long as I can remember. I also have a long term timeline which drifts off to my left, then turns sharply forwards and away from me at around 1900, then turns left again at around the year 0. I can zoom in on sections of this if I need to, which comes in very handy in History exams, as I can see exactly what happened and when :tongue: There's another timeline for more short term time, ie the next week or so, but all these different visions kind of fit into each other :smile:

Are you a synesthete too?
That sounds really cool, if a little disconcerting.

No, I'm not a synesthete. That's why I'm interested... with some types it seems to be a disability with no negative effects. But I might be wrong - which is why I want to learn about it :smile:
Original post by Tootles
That sounds really cool, if a little disconcerting.

No, I'm not a synesthete. That's why I'm interested... with some types it seems to be a disability with no negative effects. But I might be wrong - which is why I want to learn about it :smile:

I can't really think of any negative effects of it. To be honest, I don't get how people without it understand time. How can you remember what happened last year or know what you're doing next Tuesday if you can't literally see it all planned out? I'm pretty sure I'd be lost without it :smile:
Original post by tazarooni89
I wonder if different people with synaesthesia could listen to the same music and all "see" the same thing?

We don't. Some of us may well find that we see certain things the same way. For example, those who associate colours with letters, we may well agree that A is red. But to me o is pale blue, but to someone else it might be a horrid shade of lime green with too much yellow in it.

I can taste words, anything with umlauts in tastes like licquorice, which is annoying, because i dont like it. and using/ thinking abou tthe imperfect (simple past tense) feels like i'm eating marshmallows...
Original post by .snowflake.
We don't. Some of us may well find that we see certain things the same way. For example, those who associate colours with letters, we may well agree that A is red. But to me o is pale blue, but to someone else it might be a horrid shade of lime green with too much yellow in it.

I can taste words, anything with umlauts in tastes like licquorice, which is annoying, because i dont like it. and using/ thinking abou tthe imperfect (simple past tense) feels like i'm eating marshmallows...

Okay, fair enough.
It would be interesting if you all "saw" a particular letter as the same colour though. Because that would mean it is more than just activation of a different part of the brain. It would suggest that synaesthetes are actually able to extract real information that is inaccessible to the average person. Might even be able to have your own secret language - writing in blobs of colour rather than in letters :p:

Most of the time my senses are what you'd expect them to be. I "see" sights and I "hear" sounds. But occasionally some things don't quite work like that. For example, to me, the opening notes of this song are very "round/circular". Or, I also once thought that a certain girl's perfume smelled like "pink spheres". I don't know if that's synaesthesia, or if it's something anyone would have picked up on, or if it's just me being weird :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37

How does that one work?

I don't have it but I think it's when "locations" in time have set spatial locations, or something. Is that right?

I was bored the other day so I put my iPod on shuffle and made a list of the colours of all the songs that came up, I lent the list to a friend but I'll try to remember to post the list when I get it back =)
Reply 38

I can't really think of any negative effects of it. To be honest, I don't get how people without it understand time. How can you remember what happened last year or know what you're doing next Tuesday if you can't literally see it all planned out? I'm pretty sure I'd be lost without it :smile:

Hahaha I don't have it, and I'm constantly lost in time =) Like a few weeks ago, I emailed a person I've been keeping in touch with only by email (they live on the other side of the world) and I thought the last time I'd emailed them was a few weeks before. Turns out I hadn't written for two months =/ And I'm clueless about birthdays, I forgot my mom's. And my dad's, and I got the birthdays of my little siblings correct to the nearest week. It's been getting worse recently, I think it's because of school stress. Like yesterday, I looked at my planner and its was like "it's February? Nooo that can't be right it was just December." Also with hours, I have to stop and think how many lessons I've been to since the last break to work out if I have another lesson or break. The other week my watch stopped so I was totally lost =P So I really wish I had what you have, it sounds really useful =)
Reply 39

That's really cool, do you associate anything with your favourite food/candy? Do you use that word constantly? =)

Quick Reply

Latest