The Student Room Group

4 year old dog going grey?

My chocolate lab's going grey around her muzzle and chin. She's only just turned 4 - is this normal?
Yeah perfectly normal for a lab another thing that you may notice is loosing hair on the knee joint with labs they sometime seem like they are aging quickly even more if they have a dark coat
Reply 2
Yes, it is normal. In fact, it is not abnormal for some dogs to start greying on the muzzle as young as the age of 2.

Various reasons have been stated to why this occurs, but I believe the general consensus is that it is genetic. Some people start going grey in their teens and it is exactly the same for some dogs.

My black Lab, for comparisons sake, has only started going grey in the last year and he is nearly 9. :smile:
It fine people go grey when they aresn't old and its the same with dogs. Can actually make them look pretty cute!
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies :smile: She's aged a lot, in other ways.. like she's so grumpy and barely plays anymore :frown: x
Original post by amy19
Thanks for the replies :smile: She's aged a lot, in other ways.. like she's so grumpy and barely plays anymore :frown: x

Aww bless, she's middle aged in doggy years though. She'll probably enjoy Radio 2 more than Radio 1 now :biggrin:.
Reply 6
Haha :') Luckily i've got 2 other dogs that are younger so they keep her younger than she would be without them if that makes sense! x
Reply 7
Original post by amy19

Pretty normal for the breed. Mine is double your dogs age and still plays with me and my other dogs sometimes, but he prefers to be eating or sleeping. :smile:
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Aww bless, she's middle aged in doggy years though. She'll probably enjoy Radio 2 more than Radio 1 now :biggrin:.

Not quite to the 6 music stage yet though :P
Original post by amy19
My chocolate lab's going grey around her muzzle and chin. She's only just turned 4 - is this normal?

Keep an eye on your dog, while going grey can be normal for a young dog, lethargy and reluctance to play for a dog as young as four (especially gun dogs) is not normal if the dog is otherwise healthy (ie not overweight!). How is your dog eating? Are they eating/drinking more or less? Do they seem reluctant to move about? You could have a look at how much protein is in your dogs food. What are you feeding them?
Original post by trixster
Yes, it is normal. In fact, it is not abnormal for some dogs to start greying on the muzzle as young as the age of 2.

Various reasons have been stated to why this occurs, but I believe the general consensus is that it is genetic. Some people start going grey in their teens and it is exactly the same for some dogs.

My black Lab, for comparisons sake, has only started going grey in the last year and he is nearly 9. :smile:

My Goldie's turning 11 and she has a single grey hair on her tail :P :P
Yeah its fine :smile: My boyfriends dog is going grey and he's only 3, my Mum's pug isn't very old either and she's greying too.
As mentioned above it is unusual for a Lab at the age of 4 to be lethargic. Four equates to a young adult roughly so hardly middle aged.
My dog is 4 years old and has not a grey hair.
But I think there is a lot of dogs which getting grey in this age.
Reply 14
very very common! dont worry unless he starts growing tentacles...
Original post by Leooonie
very very common! dont worry unless he starts growing tentacles...

The dog's a girl, so I think you mean testicles
Reply 16

Original post by The Real Quaid
The dog's a girl, so I think you mean testicles

no... I literally meant tentacles... I am not a complete ijiiit :wink:

Obviously if you notice any other unusual things, lethargy, weakness, then a vet should be talked to.
but greying is natural ..... growing tentacles isnt.

it was a joookke :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest