Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Official Nottingham 2012 Firmers!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mroshinyemi
Firmed for philosophy!

Hoorayy a philosobuddy, didn't think I'd ever find one! :smile: I'm just on the edge of firming, probably will after I visit Notts on the 21st. :biggrin:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 421
Original post by aimlessinwonder
Underneath the green banner saying 'Conditional' mine says:

We are delighted that you have chosen this course at the University of Nottingham as your Firm choice. Thank you for choosing to study at our University.

You will need to meet any outstanding conditions to your offer of a place at the University before you can register.

We look forward to welcoming you here in September.In the meantime, if you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

So yes, I think it is supposed to change. Give it time though, it might just take a while :smile:

Thankkkks :smile: the email I got after sending my accommodation app says that I can check my application process through the portal and i can't :P so I was wondering if somethign was wrong :smile: but I guess not :smile: thankyouu :smile:
Reply 422
My mum is making me doubt my decision of going for self-catered. Is catered a better option for an international student? :confused:
Reply 423
Original post by Akiraryuu
My mum is making me doubt my decision of going for self-catered. Is catered a better option for an international student? :confused:

Though I'm a home student, my mum was the same. She kept reminding me of how I would struggle in self-catered:s-smilie: I kind of understood what she meant since I'm fairly lazy & hopeless at cooking anyway. If you're fairly good in the kitchen and want a little more independence and freedom with your food then self-catered may be the better option.
With catered accommodation, the food is **** IIRC, but it beats having to cook after an arduous day of lectures. Also (not sure if it's the same for international students), catered accommodation only allows you to stay for 33 week. So you'd have to move all of your stuff out during holidays, unless you require an extended stay. But with S-C you can stay for the duration of the academic year in most cases.

I was still undecided when applying so I chose University Park Catered (single & large room) and also Broadgate park Self-catered (single & large room also) as my options. If by chance I get put into self-catered, I'll make it my mission to learn how to cook the basics before starting uni:tongue:

What doubts do you have at the moment?
Reply 424
Original post by Jin3011
Though I'm a home student, my mum was the same. She kept reminding me of how I would struggle in self-catered:s-smilie: I kind of understood what she meant since I'm fairly lazy & hopeless at cooking anyway. If you're fairly good in the kitchen and want a little more independence and freedom with your food then self-catered may be the better option.
With catered accommodation, the food is **** IIRC, but it beats having to cook after an arduous day of lectures. Also (not sure if it's the same for international students), catered accommodation only allows you to stay for 33 week. So you'd have to move all of your stuff out during holidays, unless you require an extended stay. But with S-C you can stay for the duration of the academic year in most cases.

I was still undecided when applying so I chose University Park Catered (single & large room) and also Broadgate park Self-catered (single & large room also) as my options. If by chance I get put into self-catered, I'll make it my mission to learn how to cook the basics before starting uni:tongue:

What doubts do you have at the moment?

I didn't notice that the contract period for catered is only 33 weeks, BGP is 44 weeks which is around two months more! :shock: I definitely need extended stay as I have no where else to go during the holidays (unless I camp out in the forest :tongue:).

Cooking is not a problem for me, I quite like cooking but I hate the washing up part. Like you, I am quite lazy to prepare my own food. I usually wait until I'm really super hungry before cooking and then I'll cook something instant (usually instant noodles or instant soup) because I will be too hungry to do anything else. I have gastric problems so my mum's worried that I do not eat regular meals which won't happen if I take catered.

I hope you'll get into self-catered. Cooking is easy once you get the hang of it :tongue: It is a useful skill to have when you're in your second year! Also with self-catered I can cook whatever dish that reminds me of home when I get really homesick! :biggrin:
Reply 425
I didn't notice that the contract period for catered is only 33 weeks, BGP is 44 weeks which is around two months more! :shock: I definitely need extended stay as I have no where else to go during the holidays (unless I camp out in the forest :tongue:).

Cooking is not a problem for me, I quite like cooking but I hate the washing up part. Like you, I am quite lazy to prepare my own food. I usually wait until I'm really super hungry before cooking and then I'll cook something instant (usually instant noodles or instant soup) because I will be too hungry to do anything else. I have gastric problems so my mum's worried that I do not eat regular meals which won't happen if I take catered.

I hope you'll get into self-catered. Cooking is easy once you get the hang of it :tongue: It is a useful skill to have when you're in your second year! Also with self-catered I can cook whatever dish that reminds me of home when I get really homesick! :biggrin:

Yh IKR. Though I'd imagine that uni's do have policies that accommodate international students over the holiday period. Haha I doubt you'd have to camp out in the forest:tongue: But, if you're a nature-girl...go for it!:teehee:

I see where your mothers coming from. I'd say to just apply for whatever you personally feel best. Mums are always worried regardless, (bless them:h:) but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to organise a stable eating routine. Have you already applied for accommodation?

Certainly, cooking will be vital for 2nd year onwards. Even so, you can always live-off takeaways - sure it'll cost a bomb however lol.
Ah, malaysian food seems awesome. Though, I've got a long way to go before I reach Michelin-star standard - I even fail at cooking pasta:s-smilie:! I guess practise makes perfect:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

I think it very much depends on where in the world you're from to be honest.

My Chinese flatmate chose self catered because it meant he could cook the food he liked when he wanted it. My Canadian friend chose catered because she wasn't so worried about the difference in food. I think there are a lot more international students in self catered than there are in catered.

But I don't find cooking that bad after a long day of lectures. At the start it wasn't great, but you learn pretty quickly how to deal with it. Like last semester I had a few 9-5 days and at the weekend i'd make a massive portion of bolognese or chilli or something like that. So if I got back and found i was too tired to cook, all i had to do was stick in some rice and put some sauce in the microwave :smile:

EDIT: You won't have to camp out in the forrest if you choose catered either. You have to pay to rent your room out over the holidays but I know a few people who did, I think you just have to tell them that is your plan.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 427
Original post by Jin3011
Yh IKR. Though I'd imagine that uni's do have policies that accommodate international students over the holiday period. Haha I doubt you'd have to camp out in the forest:tongue: But, if you're a nature-girl...go for it!:teehee:

I see where your mothers coming from. I'd say to just apply for whatever you personally feel best. Mums are always worried regardless, (bless them:h:) but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to organise a stable eating routine. Have you already applied for accommodation?

Certainly, cooking will be vital for 2nd year onwards. Even so, you can always live-off takeaways - sure it'll cost a bomb however lol.
Ah, malaysian food seems awesome. Though, I've got a long way to go before I reach Michelin-star standard - I even fail at cooking pasta:s-smilie:! I guess practise makes perfect:biggrin:

Oh no, I hate camping out. Sleeping on hard surfaces and having lots of mosquitoes sucking your blood is unpleasant. And yes, no matter what mums will worry. It's in their nature :biggrin: I haven't apply for accommodation yet, just firmed yesterday so I'm still waiting for their email to come.

I'm sure some kind of survival instinct will kick in and you'll learn how to cook once you're in your second year lol. Living on takeaways will definitely leave you broke! If we do meet this September, fingers crossed I can cook some Malaysian food for you :tongue:

Original post by CharleyChester
I think it very much depends on where in the world you're from to be honest.

My Chinese flatmate chose self catered because it meant he could cook the food he liked when he wanted it. My Canadian friend chose catered because she wasn't so worried about the difference in food. I think there are a lot more international students in self catered than there are in catered.

But I don't find cooking that bad after a long day of lectures. At the start it wasn't great, but you learn pretty quickly how to deal with it. Like last semester I had a few 9-5 days and at the weekend i'd make a massive portion of bolognese or chilli or something like that. So if I got back and found i was too tired to cook, all i had to do was stick in some rice and put some sauce in the microwave :smile:

EDIT: You won't have to camp out in the forrest if you choose catered either. You have to pay to rent your room out over the holidays but I know a few people who did, I think you just have to tell them that is your plan.

The only fridge they have is a communal fridge right? Do your flatmates steal your food? :redface: I don't mind eating western food, but I think sometimes I will want to eat something Chinese especially if Notts do not have a Chinatown.

Glad to know I won't be kicked out into the forest if I choose self-catered :tongue: but I think I'll stick to self-catered. I have no more doubts about choosing BGP now, thanks! Hope the accommodation email arrives soon so I can book BGP asap.
Original post by Philosophalover
Hoorayy a philosobuddy, didn't think I'd ever find one! :smile: I'm just on the edge of firming, probably will after I visit Notts on the 21st. :biggrin:

lol its actually amazing i love it there, where else did you apply?

straight philosophy?

just a quick bump in case some of you haven't seen it.
Hey anyone going into catered? Does anyone know which halls offer the Private shared bathroom rooms????
Original post by Butterwouldntmelt
Hey anyone going into catered? Does anyone know which halls offer the Private shared bathroom rooms????

According to a spreadsheet posted on TSR:

Florence Boot (6)
Ancastar (48)
Sherwood (40)
Lenton & Wortley (95)
Cripps (54)
FIRMED FOR PHILOSOPHY :biggrin: sooo excited! and have applied for university park ensuite and shared ensuite and for broadgate park ensuite :smile:
Reply 433
Hey Guys!

Technically I'm a bit late for this, I applied and got my place LAST year, so I'm already in the clear to do Human Genetics! :P

This has probably been asked loads of times before ( and I apologise!) but what would be a good, social self catered hall on the main campus? I haven't had chance to look properly yet, I'm going down for a cheeky peak in April but I thought I would ask you guys anyway?

Cheers!
Original post by WarpyM
Hey Guys!

Technically I'm a bit late for this, I applied and got my place LAST year, so I'm already in the clear to do Human Genetics! :P

This has probably been asked loads of times before ( and I apologise!) but what would be a good, social self catered hall on the main campus? I haven't had chance to look properly yet, I'm going down for a cheeky peak in April but I thought I would ask you guys anyway?

Cheers!

There are no self catered halls on University Park campus. However, just outside the West Entrance there is a self catered hall named Broadgate Park which, in terms of proximity, is only a few minutes further away.
woohoo I should be going Nottingham this year to study physiotherapy x
Reply 436
Original post by ggurl3
Nope sorry :smile: you have to firm Nottingham to apply for accommodation :smile:

ahh okay, thanks :smile: i had my interview really late, and they've sent a letter saying I've got an offer but its not on track yet so I can't firm them! does that mean i'm unlikely to get my first choice accomodation?
I couldn't resist your amazing charm Nottingham. I've firmed you now! :colone:
Original post by AllyCoolKid
FIRMED FOR PHILOSOPHY :biggrin: sooo excited! and have applied for university park ensuite and shared ensuite and for broadgate park ensuite :smile:

hey!! :smile: i'm really close to firming nottingham for med... i was just wondering that when you go for accommodation, do you put just university park, or can you choose the actual hall?

thx in advance!! :smile:
Original post by what's up doc?
hey!! :smile: i'm really close to firming nottingham for med... i was just wondering that when you go for accommodation, do you put just university park, or can you choose the actual hall?

thx in advance!! :smile:

You put University Park and the type of room you want (e.g. Ensuite, Single Study, Large Single Study, Shared Ensuite etc). You cannot choose a specific hall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending