The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kidkstar
Thanks for that, the photo looks like it was taken outside of the compound judging by the blurred sign, so not necessarily by a cast member, and whilst some of the info is correct in the article, some of it isn't .

Exactly - where is this food/meals they talk of!!
Reply 9321
Original post by qwerty5031

They did say right back at the start that we'd have meals (I had visions of a giant free McDonalds concession for cast). However that, along with the cast portal, seems to to have been quietly forgotten.

As far as that Daily Mail article goes, if it's not a plant, I'd like to see them lose any Olympic accreditation and then see how smug they feel!

Along with most of us, having seen the vision, I see it as a surprise worth keeping, rather than a secret. The only result of knowing things up front is that the element of surprise is spoilt and the impact of the show is reduced - you'd be stupid to want that! Hence even my family know little more than my bib number (not even the code that goes with it!)

Original post by Concord
I wonder if you drummers have been given different earphones to the rest of us. The flesh coloured ones I've been given are of the type designed never to fit my ears! And nor would they take take any earbuds, since they're iPod-style.

I'll be using my Etymotic HF3s with custom-fit earbuds, if the flesh-colouring is an issue for the final show then it should be possible to hold them on with micropore tape or a sticky plaster. Although, let's just say, you shan't be seeing my ears on the night...

Good point - I noticed the earbuds with rubber flanges a week before we got ours. The 44 ones are simple hard earplugs, and pretty rubbish to boot. I've seen a few people with micropore tape holding them in!

The kind you picture should be usable with other fittings and should fit in place of the filters in custom moulded plugs.

And quite right, Mike, even if you have to use what's provided on the night, you should have no problem using your own stuff in the meantime. Hearing damage is all about level and exposure time - a reduction in either or both is a positive thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by qwerty5031

I did hear that when we have full day rehearsals there will be packed lunches provided but that could be a rumour of course.

Just when I thought I had not spotted anyone 'new' from TSR yesterday, who did wicked grin and I bump into on the tube home but props extraordinarire girlies Adelie and Fyrecracker from the March meet-up and Dancersmum from the mini para meetup .. Lovely to see some familiar faces - you are doing SUCH a great job supporting us - thank you!
So relieved to discover that I'm not suffering from a severe deformity of the ears - I can cancel the appointment with the plastic surgeon and buy some micropore tape instead - phew!
Original post by Redthunder
Hello All

Great to have a good read and catch up on here. Sounds like rehearsals are going very well, if not a little wet and windy! Do we still have people waiting to hear? Hope not :wink:

Just reading through I'm slightly worried at some date changes you've all had. I've now booked all my accommodation and train tickets and really pleased that I've managed to afford it (at £11-£25 a night!) but I am unable to do two rehearsals. One I would miss my daughters annual dance show and I just couldn't not go to that and the other is my sons annual swimming championships, again couldn't miss it. But having read the terms I can miss two maximum, so I was happy with how it had worked.

So now I'm all organised and starting to get nervous and excited but equally slightly worried now that they'll change dates around. If they do I just can't afford to change what I've booked :frown:
I know they can change as it was only an initial schedule given but with para's I had to book train etc quick as prices during Olympic were soaring so couldn't afford to wait and see if anything changes.

Anyway, in my very own rambling fashion, I suppose I'm asking those already rehearsing, how many dates/times have changed so far?
Hope you're all enjoying it lots....you'll be amazing! :smile: X

I wouldn't worry too much. My rehearsals have changed very little (Opening) just a couple of cancellations and minor time changes. The cast co-ordinators and really understanding and they seem to fully appreciate the commitment we are all making - and in your case yes, hats off to you indeed!

Believe me, it will be SO worth it, I am having the BEST time!
Reply 9325
Original post by Redthunder
Hello All

Great to have a good read and catch up on here. Sounds like rehearsals are going very well, if not a little wet and windy! Do we still have people waiting to hear? Hope not :wink:

Just reading through I'm slightly worried at some date changes you've all had. I've now booked all my accommodation and train tickets and really pleased that I've managed to afford it (at £11-£25 a night!) but I am unable to do two rehearsals. One I would miss my daughters annual dance show and I just couldn't not go to that and the other is my sons annual swimming championships, again couldn't miss it. But having read the terms I can miss two maximum, so I was happy with how it had worked.

So now I'm all organised and starting to get nervous and excited but equally slightly worried now that they'll change dates around. If they do I just can't afford to change what I've booked :frown:
I know they can change as it was only an initial schedule given but with para's I had to book train etc quick as prices during Olympic were soaring so couldn't afford to wait and see if anything changes.

Anyway, in my very own rambling fashion, I suppose I'm asking those already rehearsing, how many dates/times have changed so far?
Hope you're all enjoying it lots....you'll be amazing! :smile: X

I had the same concern. I've already 'booked' the two rehearsals I have to miss through unavoidable clashes, and then one of the new ones clashes too. It turns out that any added at this stage will not count towards your quota of missed rehearsals.
Are we def wearing those headphones on the night? Mine fall out at the start of the routine. And there's nowhere to put the radio.
Original post by Mandy_Panda
Are we def wearing those headphones on the night? Mine fall out at the start of the routine. And there's nowhere to put the radio.

I asked because mine kept falling out during the dance moves, and they said while you can wear your own headphones at rehearsals you have to use theirs on the night. However, I tried the tape they provided (get it from the earphone desk) and it did keep mine from falling out for a whole session - although it looks a bit odd. An added benefit was that a young man with rhythm offered to unfurl my tape and tape up my ears lol. With regards to the radio ladies' underwear has its benefits (a sports bra or crop top is good and could be used on the night), or on colder days I've got a fleece with a pocket at the front to stop it moving around.
Original post by Caroline27
I asked because mine kept falling out during the dance moves, and they said while you can wear your own headphones at rehearsals you have to use theirs on the night. However, I tried the tape they provided (get it from the earphone desk) and it did keep mine from falling out for a whole session - although it looks a bit odd. An added benefit was that a young man with rhythm offered to unfurl my tape and tape up my ears lol. With regards to the radio ladies' underwear has its benefits (a sports bra or crop top is good and could be used on the night), or on colder days I've got a fleece with a pocket at the front to stop it moving around.

I can't envisage the radio working with our costumes :s-smilie:

I keep looking out for you when you have rehearsals before us, but never see you!

I've seen some pretty nice FOPPERS... :wink:
I can't envisage the radio working with our costumes :s-smilie:

I keep looking out for you when you have rehearsals before us, but never see you!

I've seen some pretty nice FOPPERS... :wink:

A pity about the radio, when you're trying to concentrate on dancing the last thing you want is to worry about the radio hitting you in the face or worse falling off. All our rehearsals have been on Sunday so I'm not sure I would have seen you, I don't think I've seen your group. But I have seen lots of FOPPERS and the industrial boilersuit look is strangely attractive :smile:
Reply 9330
Original post by Caroline27

Didn't they give you a waistband for the radio? They're very fetching.
Original post by Concord
Didn't they give you a waistband for the radio? They're very fetching.

No, we missed out on those, ours are just on a lanyard and swing around unless you have clothes on top, not ideal if you're full out dancing.
Original post by jenbee
http://www.facebook.com/groups/354393277961689/?notif_t=group_r2j_approved

ANYONE
From the opening ceremony cast, if you are on facebook please join the page!
Could be useful for travel, updates, questions etc

Tried to add the group however saw it was a closed one do thought id message you !!!

2 says till my first rehearsal !! Whoop whoop :-) xxxx
Reply 9333
Original post by Samantha_Walker
Tried to add the group however saw it was a closed one do thought id message you !!!

2 says till my first rehearsal !! Whoop whoop :-) xxxx

Hiya...do you fancy meeting up before the rehearsal?
PM me??
With the photo appearing in the Daily Mail, am I the only one who's worried in relation to the dress rehearsals? Surely Casting must do something in relation to keeping that element a surprise?

I'd be sorely disappointed if it leaks out what each section is wearing and what props (if any) are included in the various segments :frown:

If things keeping "leaking out" to the gutter press, it would - I feel - be extremely soul destroying to many of us who have been careful not to reveal certain elements and have adhered to the Confidentiality bit.
I think that while they can't stop people seeing costumes and routines at Dress Rehearsals, at past ones they just miss out the really clever bits and performances. So in Vancouver, they didn't show all the projections or have the actual singers there or have any of the audience participation kits. Nor did they do the cauldron part - perhaps unwisely as later events showed.

So some will leak out beforehand but the really impressive bits should stay as a surprise. All a risk tho particularly as we move to smaller and more concealable HD cameras, less will be secret. They may also have done deals with YouTube to take stuff straight down since they will own copyright in the performance.
Original post by Flakeydom
I think that while they can't stop people seeing costumes and routines at Dress Rehearsals, at past ones they just miss out the really clever bits and performances. So in Vancouver, they didn't show all the projections or have the actual singers there or have any of the audience participation kits. Nor did they do the cauldron part - perhaps unwisely as later events showed.

So some will leak out beforehand but the really impressive bits should stay as a surprise. All a risk tho particularly as we move to smaller and more concealable HD cameras, less will be secret. They may also have done deals with YouTube to take stuff straight down since they will own copyright in the performance.

it really worries me that they may not rehearse certain things, as they really do need rehearsing.
Daughter said people reprimanded at her rehearsal yesterday for using their phones to photograph or film.
Also a reminder given out about not doing Facebook Check Ins on your locations too.

Cannot help thinking they should have kept all rehearsals in a covered building - keeps the secrecy to a point and also avoids weather extremes.

EG
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Essex Girl
Daughter said people reprimanded at her rehearsal yesterday for using their phones to photograph or film.
Also a reminder given out about not doing Facebook Check Ins on your locations too.

Cannot help thinking they should have kept all rehearsals in a covered building - keeps the secrecy to a point and also avoids weather extremes.

EG

Yep. Totally agree. They've got to do something because as you quite rightly say, we need to rehearse as much as possible in order to nail what we have to do properly.

The suggestion about press accreditation being removed should be enforced with only "official" (i.e. LOCOG) photographers being allowed on site with any images / filmings released AFTER all the Ceremonies have finished.
Original post by Essex Girl

But where would be big enough is probably the problem... plus we probably do need to practice in all conditions, just in case it tips it down/blows a storm on the night.

it really worries me that they may not rehearse certain things, as they really do need rehearsing.

Oh I think they rehearse things... just not at the dress rehearsals. I mean they did practice the cauldron lighting at Vancouver but apparently after the dress rehearsals when there was no audience left. During the dress rehearsal, they just made sure that everyone else was where they were supposed to be at that point. Bear in mind that there are some bits they can't rehearse - how the athletes will behave for one!

I think that's also the idea behind trying to make sure that the audiences are often primarily volunteers and friends/family of them - so that there's still some interest in making the Games start well.

But, they need to show enough that people don't come out saying that it's rubbish and enough for the TV commentators etc on the night to be able to talk knowledgeably about certain pieces.

Latest