The Student Room Group

Pharmacy at Manchester - through clearing

Im a dental applicant with no offers. Ive decided to switch to pharmacy since its a much less stressful job and Im sure i will enjoy the course more than dentistry.

I want to study pharm at manchester but not sure if they will consider my application through clearing since my personal statement is completley geared towards dentistry.

On their website it says:
Whilst we cannot consider all applicants who have applied for Medicine or Dentistry as a primary choice, we may consider those who have specified some interest in Pharmacy within their application, i.e. relevant pharmacy work experience. (I have none) In this situation, the School MAY contact them for a revised personal statement that is geared towards entry to Pharmacy. After consideration, the applicant MAY be invited to attend for interview.

do you think they will consider my application? does anyone know anyone who has had this problem before?

(although i dont mind taking a gap year and reapplying)
also:
do you need lots of W.E. in a pharmacy? is one week sufficient?

thankssss :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
They might not have any places come up through clearning.

Have you triede UCAS Extra? My friend at college initially applied for Physio, then changed her mind and decided she wanted to study Pharmacy. She spoke to the admissions tutor at Sunderland, withdrew from all of her Physio applications, applied to Sunderland for Pharmacy through UCAS Extra, and emailed a new Personal Statement. She got an offer.

I just did 1 week of work experience.
Original post by TheSarahJayne
They might not have any places come up through clearning.

Have you triede UCAS Extra? My friend at college initially applied for Physio, then changed her mind and decided she wanted to study Pharmacy. She spoke to the admissions tutor at Sunderland, withdrew from all of her Physio applications, applied to Sunderland for Pharmacy through UCAS Extra, and emailed a new Personal Statement. She got an offer.

I just did 1 week of work experience.

Pharmacy at Sunderland and pharmacy at Manchester are two completely different situations. I doubt Manchester would have any places in Clearing for Pharmacy.
Reply 3
Original post by freddy
Im a dental applicant with no offers. Ive decided to switch to pharmacy since its a much less stressful job and Im sure i will enjoy the course more than dentistry.

I want to study pharm at manchester but not sure if they will consider my application through clearing since my personal statement is completley geared towards dentistry.

On their website it says:
Whilst we cannot consider all applicants who have applied for Medicine or Dentistry as a primary choice, we may consider those who have specified some interest in Pharmacy within their application, i.e. relevant pharmacy work experience. (I have none) In this situation, the School MAY contact them for a revised personal statement that is geared towards entry to Pharmacy. After consideration, the applicant MAY be invited to attend for interview.

do you think they will consider my application? does anyone know anyone who has had this problem before?

(although i dont mind taking a gap year and reapplying)
also:
do you need lots of W.E. in a pharmacy? is one week sufficient?

thankssss :smile:

Why don't you reapply for Dentistry using 3 choices and Pharmacy using 2? How can anyone enjoy Pharmacy more than Dentistry? It's boring and dull, and this is coming from Pharmacy students that I've spoken to.
Although if you're not applying for Dentistry anymore, I'm not complaining, it's one less person to compete with. :colone:
Reply 4
Original post by NutterFrutter
Pharmacy at Sunderland and pharmacy at Manchester are two completely different situations. I doubt Manchester would have any places in Clearing for Pharmacy.

i emailed them- they replied and said theyre not going through clearing since all places are taken- do you think its worth calling them on results day just to chek??
Reply 5
Original post by GalaxyS
Why don't you reapply for Dentistry using 3 choices and Pharmacy using 2? How can anyone enjoy Pharmacy more than Dentistry? It's boring and dull, and this is coming from Pharmacy students that I've spoken to.
Although if you're not applying for Dentistry anymore, I'm not complaining, it's one less person to compete with. :colone:

is it possible to do that? i mean wouldnt the pharmacy unis reject me cuz i hav a dentistry P.S.? (i only want to go to manchester if i do pharmacy)

im considering pharm instead of dent because i think the job role suits my personality more. for example I hate being stressed and im usually referred to as a 'chilled' person so i think i might struggle with dent.
But im also considering applying to a german university instead (20% chance) because i think my extra curric activities arent that good for uk unis - like i dont have all that fancy Gold Duke of Edin award or school council its just : care home.charity shop, hospital
Reply 6
Original post by freddy
is it possible to do that? i mean wouldnt the pharmacy unis reject me cuz i hav a dentistry P.S.? (i only want to go to manchester if i do pharmacy)

im considering pharm instead of dent because i think the job role suits my personality more. for example I hate being stressed and im usually referred to as a 'chilled' person so i think i might struggle with dent.
But im also considering applying to a german university instead (20% chance) because i think my extra curric activities arent that good for uk unis - like i dont have all that fancy Gold Duke of Edin award or school council its just : care home.charity shop, hospital

It's up to you, if you want to do Dentistry then go for it, if you don't then it's fine, do Pharmacy. I'm applying for Dentistry for the 3rd time this year and think my application is definitely stronger than the previous times. I've managed to get hospital, dental lab and private experience this time.
Reply 7
Original post by GalaxyS
It's up to you, if you want to do Dentistry then go for it, if you don't then it's fine, do Pharmacy. I'm applying for Dentistry for the 3rd time this year and think my application is definitely stronger than the previous times. I've managed to get hospital, dental lab and private experience this time.

wow! you must be so strong willed! good luck in your application this year.
Reply 8
does anyone know whether people have got into kings or lsop through clearing in previous years?
i know a friend got into cardiff and manchester for pharm last yr with AAB through clearing
Reply 9
wow freddy we're in the same boat! I applied to dentistry and became unsuccessful. :frown: Now, I want to study pharmacy for the same reasons.
Reply 10
Original post by BenSanada
wow freddy we're in the same boat! I applied to dentistry and became unsuccessful. :frown: Now, I want to study pharmacy for the same reasons.

Why not reapply for Dentistry?

Pharmacy is over subscribed and boring. All the Pharmacy students I know are just in it for the money and show no enthusiasm towards the subject at all.
Reply 11
Original post by syfy
Why not reapply for Dentistry?

Pharmacy is over subscribed and boring. All the Pharmacy students I know are just in it for the money and show no enthusiasm towards the subject at all.

Knowing that dentistry is stressful and harder to apply to, I do not want to waste time on reapplying since it will lower my morale. Besides, I think the effects of drugs on the CNS is quite interesting when I studied it in my bio module :biggrin:
Reply 12
Knowing that dentistry is stressful and harder to apply to, I do not want to waste time on reapplying since it will lower my morale. Besides, I think the effects of drugs on the CNS is quite interesting when I studied it in my bio module :biggrin:

You study the effects of drugs in Dentistry too. Anyways good luck, I'm reapplying for Dentistry for the 2nd time this year and can't wait. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by syfy
You study the effects of drugs in Dentistry too. Anyways good luck, I'm reapplying for Dentistry for the 2nd time this year and can't wait. :biggrin:

Lol yeah I know
Thanks and good luck in your application too :biggrin:
Reply 14
Lol yeah I know
Thanks and good luck in your application too :biggrin:

Thanks dude! I'll send all my patients to you with their prescriptions. :colone:
Original post by jaina1
does anyone know whether people have got into kings or lsop through clearing in previous years?
i know a friend got into cardiff and manchester for pharm last yr with AAB through clearing

Cardiff and Manchester didn't go into clearing in 2011?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending