The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Obviously it is all genetic and training and diet makes no difference to TSR females. Logical little creatures.
Reply 61
Original post by EffieFlowers
What are you on about? You obviously know nothing about dress sizes, size 8 is perfectly healthy and a size 16 is not. My sister used to be a size 16 and she was largely overweight according to her BMI and she didn't look nice at all. Of course she's a size 10 now and looks so much better.

Size 8 is slim not skinny... You perfectly illustrate how much of an issue obesity is in our country. A few decades ago a size 8 would be normal, quite common but today its seen as this unrealistic goal to aim towards.
I can't stand living in a nation with ridiculously high obesity rates when there's so many people dying of starvation and malnutrition across the globe. It's sick. This country needs to sort itself out. If you look at the people when you walk down the street, nearly every other young person is over weight. If you look ay the older generation there's a lot less overweight people. It's wrong and we shouldn't be embracing it.
agreed...people all seem very negative to peoples success in the UK...if they see a nice car they key it, if someone is slim they say it is because they don't eat or make themselves sick etc....such a negative country really.
Reply 62
I also have back dimples.
Reply 63
Original post by EffieFlowers
What are you on about? You obviously know nothing about dress sizes, size 8 is perfectly healthy and a size 16 is not. My sister used to be a size 16 and she was largely overweight according to her BMI and she didn't look nice at all. Of course she's a size 10 now and looks so much better.

Size 8 is slim not skinny... You perfectly illustrate how much of an issue obesity is in our country. A few decades ago a size 8 would be normal, quite common but today its seen as this unrealistic goal to aim towards.
I can't stand living in a nation with ridiculously high obesity rates when there's so many people dying of starvation and malnutrition across the globe. It's sick. This country needs to sort itself out. If you look at the people when you walk down the street, nearly every other young person is over weight. If you look ay the older generation there's a lot less overweight people. It's wrong and we shouldn't be embracing it.

repped
Reply 64
Original post by McHumpy92
I also have back dimples.

wood smash
Reply 65
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
I dont like bones showing on my women and slim isn't skinny FYI.

the words are synonyms, they have exactly the same denotational meaning.

you can use the word slim and skinny to describe someo ne and the would both be correct. the only difference is connotations.
Original post by sconter
do you realise that a womans size 14 in the 60s is now classed as a size 8? its called vanity sizing, womens sizes are getting larger to make you feel better even though people are getting fatter.

This is so true. I'm a 6 and I fit into my mums old size 10 clothes (from like 60s/70s) perfectly. She's a modern 10 now and she can't fit into any of them.
Reply 67
Original post by tsveta
I reckon a lot of it is plastic surgery, I heard somewhere that Kim Kardash had surgery on her waist as it is TINY compared to the rest of her body! Could be wrong though, but dont forget about that little thing called air brushing :wink:

Genuine question, what the hell does plastic surgery on the waist involve?

(I'm a guy and not particularly fond of or interested in cosmetic surgery, hence total noob.)
Reply 68
Original post by Kenocide
Genuine question, what the hell does plastic surgery on the waist involve?

(I'm a guy and not particularly fond of or interested in cosmetic surgery, hence total noob.)

i dont see how it id possible tbh. other than lypo, but that doesnt mean it is impossible to attain naturally, it just means you have to work for it.
Original post by sconter
the words are synonyms, they have exactly the same denotational meaning.

you can use the word slim and skinny to describe someo ne and the would both be correct. the only difference is connotations.

No they're not.

The word skinny is used by fat, lazy people (mostly fat/larger women) to describe slim women when in fact slim is a proportional and healthy weight for a woman who is not in the size 14 range or above.

Skinny is size 6/8 or below and yes, you can see bones on skinny women. Slim women have fat, muscle and a bit of shape to them but are not 'curvy'.

Learn your lady shapes son, it might become useful one day.
Reply 70
Personal trainers, dieticians, high motivation given that their job relies on them staying hot, plus you might find one or two have the advantage of cosmetic surgeons and airbrushing...

Plus genetics and general body frame play a massive role.

I don't see how you can tell because it's all proprtional, I have eyes but I don't carry a measuring tape? A curvy 28 inch waisted woman will look like she has a smaller waist because it's smaller compared to their hips and bust, whereas a more gamine althletic build with a naturally smaller waist might not look all that small if they're straight up and down, it's practically the same width as the rest of their body.

Also, studies have shown that men are most attracted to a waist to hip ratio, rather than the measurement. Like the most attractive women in the world like marylin monroe, kim kardashian and cheryl cole all had the same ratio of around 0.6/0.7 despite having very different body types, so the measurement is somewhat irrelevent...
Reply 71
No they're not.

The word skinny is used by fat, lazy people (mostly fat/larger women) to describe slim women when in fact slim is a proportional and healthy weight for a woman who is not in the size 14 range or above.

Skinny is size 6/8 or below and yes, you can see bones on skinny women. Slim women have fat, muscle and a bit of shape to them but are not 'curvy'.

learn english, son.

it would come in useful everyday.

i have explained the semantics of it, it isnt up for debate. they mean the same thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
No they're not.

What? Let me educate you on women's dress sizes. Size 8, like someone said above is not skinny. Unless maybe you are 6 foot 3. :rolleyes:

List of uk size 8 celebrities (if you don't believe me research it yourself)

Marilyn Monroe. (the younger years) Shocked?
Tulisa whatshername
Cheryl Cole (6/8)
Mila Kunis
Pixie Lott
Zooey Deschanel
Katy Perry
Miley Cyrus
Emma Stone
Miranda Kerr (6/8)
Emma Watson
Amanda Seyfried
Taylor Swift
Anne Hathaway

And the list goes on and on.

If you think these woman have protruding bones and are too thin, then you need to get your head read. And the same goes for you
Original post by MancBoy
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sconter
i dont see how it id possible tbh. other than lypo, but that doesnt mean it is impossible to attain naturally, it just means you have to work for it.

Yeah liposuction is the only way, Beyonce has lipo on her stomach to make her waist tiny in comparison to her hips.
Reply 74
i remember hearing on the radio that rihanna trains 5 times a day and has some ridiculous diet.

So she trains more than pro athletes on drugs that allow them to recover and train more than the normal human?

eating healthy goes a long way, training will take that extra bit further.

I know people look at it as 80% diet, but exercise brings more to the table than just health and physical reasons, it's very good at relieving stress for example and also gives you a lot of confidence. These factors can change your mindset and help you focus on your goals which makes them easier to attain
They work out and watch what they eat, it's that simple.

Yes, you too could have a good figure if you have the willpower to do the same... orrrrr you could make excuses like:

"oh itz dem genetix"
"dey must be in da Jim 25/7 herp derp"
"dey must only eat dem saladz herpy derpy"

Choose wisely.
Reply 76
Original post by TheInformer
They work out and watch what they eat, it's that simple.

Yes, you too could have a good figure if you have the willpower to do the same... orrrrr you could make excuses like:

"oh itz dem genetix"
"dey must be in da Jim 25/7 herp derp"
"dey must only eat dem saladz herpy derpy"

Choose wisely.

I think genetics does play a part though- I'm slim and I do work out, but whatever size I've been my waist doesn't really get proportionally slimmer, because the weight comes off my boobs, hips and thighs and not really off my waist. Obviously the fatter you are, the bigger your waist will be, but I'm not sure that you can really alter your body proportions significantly with just exercise. I admit that I might be wrong here, it's just from my own experience.
Original post by Vulpix
I think genetics does play a part though- I'm slim and I do work out, but whatever size I've been my waist doesn't really get proportionally slimmer, because the weight comes off my boobs, hips and thighs and not really off my waist. Obviously the fatter you are, the bigger your waist will be, but I'm not sure that you can really alter your body proportions significantly with just exercise. I admit that I might be wrong here, it's just from my own experience.

Not just exercise but diet aswell:

You could have the best exercise routine known to man but if your diet sucks, you wont get great results.

Yes some people will have different bone structure etc but the average person will be able to achieve great results and close to the body they want with abit of hard work and dedication.

It just seems too many people, this thread for example, would rather blame genetics or some other reason due to being too lazy to do what it takes to get what they want.
Reply 78
Original post by Vulpix

do heavy squats, im a guy and my hips have gone from 35" to 38", but my waist has also gone from 28" to 31" but i think that's because I eat a lot more now so im always bloated. My bum has got bigger as well, and it's noticable when im wearing jeans. (My cousins actually said to me that they were talking about how my ass got so big) (srs)

Cant say anything about boobs though, my thighs have grown 2.5" though.

BTW this is all from heavy lifting (look up starting strength)

Yes genetics will play some part but there is a lot you can do untill you reach that genetic limit
Reply 79

Latest