The Student Room Group

Pole Dancing Scoiety :P

Hi, i will be starting uni in September and i have already started looking at what societies the uni (of Derby) offers. The only one that i think i might be interested in joining is the pole dancing society :L

So, i want to become a primary school teacher and am doing a BEd, so do you think joining this society would give a really bad impression to my lecturers and even future employers. I think it probably will since pole dancing has so much bad stigma attached! But i don't want to do it so i can become a lap-dancer, i just think its sounds interesting and sound like a fun way to keep fit :smile:
Also, i don't want to join a society that is going to be costly, so how much do you think i would cost to join and participate in this society?

Thanks for any replies :biggrin:
P.S. Please don't judge, like i say i only want to join for the fitness and fun aspect!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Meh as long as you don't start straddling the desks while giving a maths lesson wearing a t-shirt that reads '#1 dancer' I don't see how it would effect your public life.
Do it

Reply 3
Whenever people say don't judge I immediately judge them.
Unless you tell them, your future employers won't know what societies you joined at university. It's unlikely any of your lecturers will know, either - and even less likely that they'll care. Plenty of student teachers get involved in all kinds of drunkeness and debauchery while at university; spending one evening a week swinging round a pole in a sports hall is pretty tame in comparison to what goes on down the union. :tongue:

For what it's worth, students at the studio I go to include a children's care worker, a high school English teacher, and a university lecturer.
Reply 5
I started my uni's pole dancing society at the start of my second year (of four), and I'm now a board member and I'll be teaching the beginners this year. All of this is on my CV (and was when I got a job!). I think the vision of pole dancing has changed enough that people really won't see 'stripper' any more when they read it on your CV.

But like others have said, if you don't want them to know, don't tell them. Easy :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by ellathecat
if you don't want people to judge you by your pole dancing scoiety then maybe you could start by spelling it society, eh ? good luck anyways :smile:

Haha, only just realised that :L My mac has a spell checker thing on :/ must have changed it :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by mizzmegg
Hi, i will be starting uni in September and i have already started looking at what societies the uni (of Derby) offers. The only one that i think i might be interested in joining is the pole dancing society :L

So, i want to become a primary school teacher and am doing a BEd, so do you think joining this society would give a really bad impression to my lecturers and even future employers. I think it probably will since pole dancing has so much bad stigma attached! But i don't want to do it so i can become a lap-dancer, i just think its sounds interesting and sound like a fun way to keep fit :smile:
Also, i don't want to join a society that is going to be costly, so how much do you think i would cost to join and participate in this society?

Thanks for any replies :biggrin:
P.S. Please don't judge, like i say i only want to join for the fitness and fun aspect!

Pole dancing is the BEST. I feel fine telling people I do it. It's great, hard work and very fun. The 'bad stigma' doesn't bother me at all. It's still very sexy.

O, moneywise I find it quite expensive. I go with friends, so the cost is cut for a group class. However, where I go it's £20 off peak private lesson and £30 peak time lesson. They also have BILLIONS of other course, flexy classes, circus, the hoop, the silks, burlesque, etc etc etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
As for the cost aspect, I don't know what it's like for a uni society. At my studio, I think it works out at £10 an hour (that's 2 or sometimes 3 per pole). The more classes you take, the more discounts they'll give you.
Reply 9
The one at my uni costs £35 for a full year membership, with a one hour class for each level each week :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Aurora.
The one at my uni costs £35 for a full year membership, with a one hour class for each level each week :smile:

wow! that is AMAZING! :eek:
Reply 11
Original post by lilabs
wow! that is AMAZING! :eek:

It really is :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Aurora.

WOW, I hope mine is that cheap!!! I doubt it will be though :/

Is there anything else in particular I may need to know/buy to get into pole dancing?

Original post by thecrimsonidol
Do it

lmfao! haha top lad tbf
Reply 14
WOW, I hope mine is that cheap!!! I doubt it will be though :/

Is there anything else in particular I may need to know/buy to get into pole dancing?

Nope, just some shorts - make sure they're tight enough that you can't see up them when you're in a sort of straddle position - and that's pretty much it really :smile:

Other than that nothing in particular that I can think of :smile:

Enjoy, you'll love it!
Reply 15
Original post by Aurora.
Nope, just some shorts - make sure they're tight enough that you can't see up them when you're in a sort of straddle position - and that's pretty much it really :smile:

Other than that nothing in particular that I can think of :smile:

Enjoy, you'll love it!

I will probably get some cycling style shorts then :smile:
Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 16
I will probably get some cycling style shorts then :smile:
Thank you :biggrin:

Yeah something like that :smile: I have some like these:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-pro-shorts-ladies-426123
Reply 17
Anyone who thinks it's slutty isn't worth your time anyway.
Reply 18
I Have another question for anyone if anyone doesn't mind helping me out again :smile:...
So, i was thinking, its all good and well about worrying about my lecturers opinions, BUT WHAT ABOUT WHAT MY PARENTS THINK? :s-smilie:

how did you tell your parents? and what were their reactions.

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 19
I Have another question for anyone if anyone doesn't mind helping me out again :smile:...
So, i was thinking, its all good and well about worrying about my lecturers opinions, BUT WHAT ABOUT WHAT MY PARENTS THINK? :s-smilie:

how did you tell your parents? and what were their reactions.

Thanks again :smile:

I said, "I'm joining the pole dancing club," and my parents were both pretty impressed. I talk to my parents about it all the time, they've both seen a dance I did for a show (as have my aunts / uncles / grandparents / friends of the family...) and my dad and stepmum bought me a pole for my birthday :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest