The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Lucy Cavendish College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm just after some more details about the set up in Oldham Hall - is it corridors with kitchens and bathrooms as separate rooms? Thanks
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hey, I think the rooms in Oldham share kitchens, but at least some of the rooms are ensuite. You'd better double check with the tutorial office (email Gaby Jones at [email protected]) to make sure.
Thank you :biggrin:
You're welcome :redface:
Hi, I know I am REALLY LATE... But have you applied to Lucy? I have applied, I am now waiting to find out if I have got an interview xxx
Hey guys who applied for Lucy and got an interview?
Reply 226
Hey! This thread is a bit dead, so just wanted to introduce myself as a current Lucy student who'd be happy to answer any and all questions! :smile:
Reply 227
Yeah actually I do! I'm an offer-holder and people like admissions tutors keep saying that the average age of students is 22 :eek: - surely that's got to be some funky kind of average like the median or the mode, right? Otherwise I'm gonna skew that waaaaay up. I don't wanna be the granny :frown::biggrin:
Reply 228
Original post by Rattie
Yeah actually I do! I'm an offer-holder and people like admissions tutors keep saying that the average age of students is 22 :eek: - surely that's got to be some funky kind of average like the median or the mode, right? Otherwise I'm gonna skew that waaaaay up. I don't wanna be the granny :frown::biggrin:

Hey! Congratulations on your offer! :biggrin: Actually, that might be about true- Lucy Cavendish I think has the youngest students on average of the mature colleges. However, I wouldn't worry about it!! Just because most undergraduates are in their twenties (also remember no one is younger than 21), doesn't mean there aren't students who are significantly older- it's not THAT small of a college! :smile: In addition, one of the best things about Lucy is the friendly and open atmosphere stemming from people coming from a range of different experiences and backgrounds, so I'm sure you'll feel at home quickly without having to feel like the "granny"! And if you feel like it you can always hang out with PhD students and the like :wink: Hope that helps! Feel free to keep sending questions or send me a private message otherwise or if you have more questions!:smile:
Reply 229
I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek about it, I have to admit :biggrin: but for the average age to be 22, it'd surely have to be almost exclusively students starting at age 21 - equal numbers of 21, 22, 23, and 24 yo students would come out at an average age of 22. I really don't have a a problem with it (the majority of people on my Access course were younger than me, although definitely not an average of 22), but at 31 I'm going to be pushing it a bit :colondollar: (not least because when I go out for a couple of drinks with college friends at the moment, I'm the only one who wakes up the next morning wishing for the sweet mercy of death…)

I'm mostly just curious as to how the sums work out, to come out at 22.
Reply 230
Original post by Rattie
I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek about it, I have to admit :biggrin: but for the average age to be 22, it'd surely have to be almost exclusively students starting at age 21 - equal numbers of 21, 22, 23, and 24 yo students would come out at an average age of 22. I really don't have a a problem with it (the majority of people on my Access course were younger than me, although definitely not an average of 22), but at 31 I'm going to be pushing it a bit :colondollar: (not least because when I go out for a couple of drinks with college friends at the moment, I'm the only one who wakes up the next morning wishing for the sweet mercy of death…)

I'm mostly just curious as to how the sums work out, to come out at 22.

Haha, yeah I'm not sure where that number comes from, might not be official :wink: A lot of the students are 21 when they start at Lucy though so maybe the average is true for freshers! 31 is not pushing it though, there are definitely people around that age and above! :smile: You might want to research miracle hangover cures over the summer though:colondollar:
Reply 231
Best one I know is double egg and chips, but not sure how accommodation will feel about deep fryers…
Original post by barosa
I just got offered a place at Lucy and I too was wondering what it might be like to stay at a single-sex college that accepts mostly mature students. Mainly because I am NOT a mature student and didnt really want to go to a single-sex college.... so please keep saying nice things about it.....

I'm in the exact same position! I was pooled to Lucy and i really don't like the idea of single-sex and 21+ and my offer is for 2020 so would have to take a gap year I didn't want :frown:
Reply 233
Original post by blossombubble
I'm in the exact same position! I was pooled to Lucy and i really don't like the idea of single-sex and 21+ and my offer is for 2020 so would have to take a gap year I didn't want :frown:

It'll only be a problem for a year; if you hadn't already heard about it, the college is going mixed and standard age starting October 2021.
I'm not 21, but I want to apply to Lucy. What's it like there? And is there any other younger people thinking of applying?
Reply 235
They're running a couple of live sessions on 2nd and 3rd July if you're interested? The students you'll speak to will be mature students as the college is only starting to take standard age students from this coming year.

It's nice, very friendly and supportive, but no money so you'll end up shelling out more than students at richer colleges.

https://www.lucy.cam.ac.uk/virtual-open-day
Original post by Rattie
They're running a couple of live sessions on 2nd and 3rd July if you're interested? The students you'll speak to will be mature students as the college is only starting to take standard age students from this coming year.

It's nice, very friendly and supportive, but no money so you'll end up shelling out more than students at richer colleges.

https://www.lucy.cam.ac.uk/virtual-open-day

Thanks, I've already signed up for that. What type of thing do they not cover, but other colleges do?
Reply 237
Often richer colleges charge lower rents, give out book grants, travel grants, that sort of thing. Might have better facilities e.g. a decent gym so you don't have to pay to use facilities anywhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest