The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Hoody93
Could you imagine, tbh step is the only maths I've ever come across that I go wtf? Where do I start? Some of the question... I go to the step teacher and say so how would i do this, then she ponders and says i have no idea, i'm left thinking "greeaaat"...

You have a step teacher??? lol where can I get myself one of those? I have to prepare by myself, don't think anyone at my school helps for STEP :'(

Ooh and since we're all talking about books, I finally got round to ordering some earlier on this week, Fermat's Last Theorem, Letters to a young Mathematician and the codebook.

Funny thing was I was in the school library today and found in the maths section fermat's last theorem. So I took it out to get a head start reading it, and the librarian said that they got the book in 1999 and I was the first person to take it out:biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by chibi_oc
You have a step teacher??? lol where can I get myself one of those? I have to prepare by myself, don't think anyone at my school helps for STEP :'(

Ooh and since we're all talking about books, I finally got round to ordering some earlier on this week, Fermat's Last Theorem, Letters to a young Mathematician and the codebook.

Funny thing was I was in the school library today and found in the maths section fermat's last theorem. So I took it out to get a head start reading it, and the librarian said that they got the book in 1999 and I was the first person to take it out:biggrin:

Actually we have two step teachers. :P I love Fermat's last theorem! :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Hoody93
Actually we have two step teachers. :P I love Fermat's last theorem! :smile:

TWO :eek: I want 1!!
TWO :eek: I want 1!!

Me too.
Reply 84
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Me too.

I say we find the school and steal them both
Reply 85
STEP teachers, what is this madness, I want one =p
Reply 86
Original post by maths134
STEP teachers, what is this madness, I want one =p

Right, there's three of us and two STEP teachers to be stolen, someone unfortunately is going to have to go without!
Right, there's three of us and two STEP teachers to be stolen, someone unfortunately is going to have to go without!

Lets not be unfair here, instead of someone going STEP teacher-less I think you two will have to share one and i get the better STEP teacher to myself. :smile:
Reply 88
Or i have the two and you have none, as is the original arrangement. :tongue:
Reply 89
or we could have a maths off !
Original post by maths134
or we could have a maths off !

or a STEP off?
Thought I'd be a bit keen and start it off a bit early. Who's applying for Mathematics in 2012 and where are you thinking of applying to?

GCSE: 2A*, 5A, 3B
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
Considering: (G101) Nottingham, Warwick, Southampton, Imperial, KCL, UEA and a few others.
Preparation: Reading mathematics related books, Practice STEP papers, finance related work experience, going to mathematics lectures.

Edit: Everyone seems to be doing it anyway but post GCSE's, AS Levels, Possible Universities and how you are preparing for your application.

Hmm interesting: why the neg?

First just wanna say I'm not sure if I'm doing maths - I've been planning on doing medicine but I've recently started to change my mind because maths is so awesome :wink:

GCSEs: 6A*s 5As
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology
Considering: Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial
Preparation: Soon be practising STEP papers (if I confirm I wanna do maths but we've got ages anyway :smile: ), watching a lot of mathematics lectures on iTunes U, trying to find work experience, going on an engineering taster course and regular stuff like UKMT :smile:
Reply 92
or a STEP off?

right your on :tongue:
Reply 93
Apparently my college's teacher for STEP is the best mathematician the college has ever seen, the worrying thing is... he doesn't even teach maths ^.- , he just sits in a room alone doing data analysis for the college..
I've been looking for a thread like this!

Well...
GCSE's: 5 A* (in Maths, Additional Science, Business, Geography and Eng Lang) 4A (in Science - 1 mark off A*!, Eng Lit, ICT and PE)
Highers: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics and English
Sixth Year Choices: AH Maths, Stats and Physics + Higher Geography and Int 1 Geology
Considering: Oxford (Maybe...), Warwick, St. Andrews, Bath, Durham
Preperation: Currently reading 'The Divine Proportion', took part in the UK Senior Maths Challenge, took part in the Scottish Maths Challenge, accepted to a 'Headstart' course in Mathematics at Durham in July, work experience in June in either accountancy or actuarial work... that's about all I can think of at the moment.

P.s. Is there any other girls on this thread applying for Maths, or is it all guys at the moment?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by laughylolly

Well...
GCSE's: 5 A* (in Maths, Additional Science, Business, Geography and Eng Lang) 4A (in Science - 1 mark off A*!, Eng Lit, ICT and PE)
Sixth Year Choices: AH Maths, Stats and Physics + Higher Geography and Int 1 Geology
Preperation: Currently reading 'The Divine Proportion', took part in the UK Senior Maths Challenge, took part in the Scottish Maths Challenge, accepted to a 'Headstart' course in Mathematics at Durham in July, work experience in June in either accountancy or actuarial work... that's about all I can think of at the moment.

P.s. Is there any other girls on this thread applying for Maths, or is it all guys at the moment?

I'm going to the Durham maths course as well!

Well...

Welcome to the thread, as far as i'm aware you're the only girl at the moment and the only Scottish person. I'm sure there will be plenty more on their way soon though. Anyway what's 'the divine proportion' like? I'm looking for more books to read over the summer.
Original post by ilovedubstep
I'm going to the Durham maths course as well!

Oh cool! Are you looking forward to it?

I've found two other people going to it too on here. TheCrackFox and Thrug.

Welcome to the thread, as far as i'm aware you're the only girl at the moment and the only Scottish person. I'm sure there will be plenty more on their way soon though. Anyway what's 'the divine proportion' like? I'm looking for more books to read over the summer.

It's really interesting. It's a bit philospohical in parts and by no means a light read but it's interesting. I originally started to read it in Y11 during study leave when I saw it in my schools library. I didn't manage to finish it and left the country where I was but I luckily found it on amazon a month or two ago. Still haven't finished it though, been doing lots of other reading (maths related and non-maths related) and studying etc. so I haven't had the time :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh cool! Are you looking forward to it?

Yeah I am. But I have no idea what we are doing or where we will be staying. Also I live quite far away so it's going to be annoying having to get there and back.
Original post by ilovedubstep
Yeah I am. But I have no idea what we are doing or where we will be staying. Also I live quite far away so it's going to be annoying having to get there and back.

I've heard about what the Engineering course do (know people that have went on them) but I have no idea about the Maths. I wonder if we'll do any practical work or if it will all be solving problems and learning how to proof etc.

How far away are you? I'm in North Scotland so I'm pretty far away, not sure how I'll be getting there yet.

Latest