The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

I have just sent my form back to say I'd like to accept the offer of a place on the Access to HE Business, so still awaiting enrolment/start dates.

I'm looking forward to starting because I feel like it's finally the start of the journey to where I feel I'm supposed to be in life (hopefully) :colondollar:. But having been out of the "college" environment for a while, and not doing so well with college/school in the past, I am feeling quite anxious, more so than I'm prehaps letting onto those close people around me.

I'm just really wanting to do well this time. I'm quite shy/quiet in person so I am worried about past problems reoccuring, being on a low income I'm worried about finances/funding (tried contacting student welfare but nobody's got back to me yet) and I suppose my biggest fear is failing :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 161
Does anyone know what happens after you enrol?
I enrolled just over two weeks ago and have been checking the post every day hoping for a big fat envelope to come with lots of 'details' and stuff. I tried to phone the college but got through to a voicemail saying everyone was busy doing enrolments.

But having been out of the "college" environment for a while, and not doing so well with college/school in the past, I am feeling quite anxious, more so than I'm prehaps letting onto those close people around me.
I'm just really wanting to do well this time. I'm quite shy/quiet in person so I am worried about past problems reoccuring, being on a low income I'm worried about finances/funding (tried contacting student welfare but nobody's got back to me yet) and I suppose my biggest fear is failing

Yep, thats me all over. I'm worried that I won't understand things or that I just won't be able to remember everything I'm supposed to remember. Finances are really scary £300 on travelling a month plus loss of income.
And it's easy to tell people "Once I've done this course I'll go to university" but I've got to actually pass this course and get into university first. Congratulations on getting the offer btw.

Mmm, I'm starting to wonder what made me think I could do this in the first place.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by Exeter2ndyear
One crucial piece of advice I would give students is to buy the Access to HE text books. They truly helped me get the grades required for uni. And also, buy/take out all the textbooks that your tutor recommends - DO NOT just rely on the internet if you want Merits/Distinctions!

After a quick google search, you can get the Access to HE books for more than half their original prices on Amazon:

The Essentials of Access to HE: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0748785825/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1310806409&sr=8-3&condition=used

Access to HE social sciences: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/074878585X/ref=sr_1_4_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1310806409&sr=8-4&condition=used

They also have loads of other really cheap textbooks on Amazon from which I bought most of my books!

Good luck peeps x

Cool, I'm going to buy the natural sciences one to start reading :smile:
Original post by jami74
Does anyone know what happens after you enrol?
I enrolled just over two weeks ago and have been checking the post every day hoping for a big fat envelope to come with lots of 'details' and stuff. I tried to phone the college but got through to a voicemail saying everyone was busy doing enrolments.

Yep, thats me all over. I'm worried that I won't understand things or that I just won't be able to remember everything I'm supposed to remember. Finances are really scary £300 on travelling a month plus loss of income.
And it's easy to tell people "Once I've done this course I'll go to university" but I've got to actually pass this course and get into university first. Congratulations on getting the offer btw.

Mmm, I'm starting to wonder what made me think I could do this in the first place.

When I enrolled I don't think I got anything through the post! Once I had my timetable that was it. It's not like uni where you get a nice little goodie bag through the post :colone:

The finances thing is scary :frown: but, I'm afraid to say, that this continues into uni so you must learn to budget now.

Don't worry about not passing the course, if you try hard, listen well, ask for help and work to the mark scheme you will be fine!

Good luck to everyone starting Access courses this year! It's a long hard slog, but soon you will be at the other end! :biggrin:
Although I got a piece of paper on my interview day stating I'd got an unconditional offer, I'm still pretty in the dark about it all really!!

I don't know when I enroll / go to induction / start term. Nobody has actually told me how much it costs yet! (Around £1000, if last year is anything to go by)

I feel pretty clueless! But still excited, and less than a month to go at work now, yay!
Original post by scotton86
Although I got a piece of paper on my interview day stating I'd got an unconditional offer, I'm still pretty in the dark about it all really!!

I don't know when I enroll / go to induction / start term. Nobody has actually told me how much it costs yet! (Around £1000, if last year is anything to go by)

I feel pretty clueless! But still excited, and less than a month to go at work now, yay!

hi

I'm not sure if it's different for each course/college, but when I went to my interview in Leeds for Access to HE business but there were other's there for different Access course; the tutor said the course fee would be £1000, so I think he was talking in general...
I recently sat an entry to Access numeracy and literacy test, in addition to having to write a 300 word essay on "The Advantages and Disadvantages of a mature student returning to education".

I found the literacy test ridiculously easy, the first part I had to read a piece of literature, do abit of simple analysis of the text and answer quite straight forward questions. For the second part of the literacy test, there was a row of words on one side of the page and a row of different words on the opposite side of the page, there were words which meant more or less the same thing on both sides of the page and I simply had to link them up, for example; disagree and oppose.

The numeracy test in general again I found quite easy, it started off paticularly easy but got gradually harder, I did have trouble remembering how to work out one or two of the questions near the end of the test.

But anyway, I'm pleased to say I recieved a letter from the college today, informing me that I have been offered a place on the course! Wahay!:biggrin:

Enrolments take place between the 8th and 19th of August and then I start the course on the 7th September, I'm quite excited!
Had my assessment and interview got offered a place there and then!:biggrin:

Now just got to wait and see if I can get the money to afford it come enrollment time.:redface:

I will be taking a gcse equivalency in maths will have additional support with it as well. So will be emaling uni's to see if they accept equivalencies! Hopefully they will because the course I want to do isn't really mathematical otherwise I'll have to look into evening classes.:rolleyes:
I will also be doing a GCSE equivalence in Maths, I hope the Universities do bloody accept this. I cannot see why they would not, it would make a mockery of taking an equivalence if it was worthless when it came to getting into Uni.
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
I will also be doing a GCSE equivalence in Maths, I hope the Universities do bloody accept this. I cannot see why they would not, it would make a mockery of taking an equivalence if it was worthless when it came to getting into Uni.

Usually because GCSE is seen as harder and the equivalencies are only equivalent to a C grade. I don't think it as big deal unless you're applying to a top uni or doing a maths related course.
Reply 170
i got my enrollment letter today :smile: tuesday 23rd of august, seems pretty late on to me! so wondering as to when the starting date will be! i need to let work know when i need to go part time god damn it!

verry exxxxcciitteedd though! :biggrin: everyone whos doubting themselves about doing well on the course DON'T! you will all do fantastic im sure as long as you apply yourselves!

good luck everyone!

keep updating!
Original post by RinniieX
i got my enrollment letter today :smile: tuesday 23rd of august, seems pretty late on to me! so wondering as to when the starting date will be! i need to let work know when i need to go part time god damn it!

verry exxxxcciitteedd though! :biggrin: everyone whos doubting themselves about doing well on the course DON'T! you will all do fantastic im sure as long as you apply yourselves!

good luck everyone!

keep updating!

That seems pretty early to me. My first day is September 12th!
Reply 172
Original post by Beebumble
That seems pretty early to me. My first day is September 12th!

:redface: so have you already enrolled? did you get your start date at enrollment etc? I'm dying to know my first day and sort out any folders etc that i need.

also, do you know how many days a week you'l be doing?
:redface: so have you already enrolled? did you get your start date at enrollment etc? I'm dying to know my first day and sort out any folders etc that i need.

also, do you know how many days a week you'l be doing?

No can't enroll until August. :frown: I was told the date at interview. I'll probably be doing 3 days a week but it all depends on how the timetables work out.

good luck everyone!

keep updating!

Oh wait just read that's your enrollment date.:redface:

Yeah most enrollments are around that time because GCSE results day is on the 24th of August so the colleges probably just want to process all in enrollments in the same weeks. Ready for the influx of students just getting their GCSE's.

good luck everyone!

keep updating!

Yeah most enrollments are around that time because GCSE results day is on the 25th of August so the colleges probably just want to process all in enrollments in the same weeks. Ready for the influx of students just getting their GCSE's.
Reply 176
Original post by Beebumble

Yeah most enrollments are around that time because GCSE results day is on the 25th of August so the colleges probably just want to process all in enrollments in the same weeks. Ready for the influx of students just getting their GCSE's.

ohhh i see! that makes some sence i suppose! aha i just cant wait to start now! really though i dont think anyone realises how excited i am to go to college, go to uni and actualy do something with my life! :smile:
I've got my enrollment on Tuesday 22nd of August :biggrin:

EXCITED!!

Only 20 working days left at my job, woooooo!
Reply 178
Got my interview and enrollment on the 18th of August. It's a weird letter I recieved as I'm still not sure whether I've actually been accepted as I've not had my interview, but the letter reads as if I have a place. Guess I'll find out when I go in!
Reply 179
I enrolled four weeks ago and I've heard nothing since. I just phoned them and they told me I'd get a timetable in a couple of weeks. I can't wait for the timetable, then I'll be able to start planning my train journeys, child care etc.

Quick Reply

Latest