The Student Room Group

A level results and applying as a school leaver

Just wondering if any of you knowledgable guys here might be able to advise me re medical school admissions. I realise medicine, perhaps more than any other degree course, is not just about excellent grades but anyhow, I already have my A level results. I am currently not at university, having left school last year. I achieved grades A*AA in Eng Lit, Biology and Chemistry respectively.
My key concern is this: would some medical schools consider it advantageous for a candidate to already have their A level results, compared to the majority of applicants who are still at school and thus only have predicted A level results? I ask because I'm unsure whether to apply and am just wondering if this fact may put me at an advantage over other people applying for medicine.
Thanks in advance,
Harbour.
ps I also have hospital work experience I carried out when I was still at school and also did voluntary work in a local care home during the summer of 2010. Ilness prevented my attending uni this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Harbour
Just wondering if any of you knowledgable guys here might be able to advise me re medical school admissions. I realise medicine, perhaps more than any other degree course, is not just about excellent grades but anyhow, I already have my A level results. I am currently not at university, having left school last year. I achieved grades A*AA in Eng Lit, Biology and Chemistry respectively.
My key concern is this: would some medical schools consider it advantageous for a candidate to already have their A level results, compared to the majority of applicants who are still at school and thus only have predicted A level results? I ask because I'm unsure whether to apply and am just wondering if this fact may put me at an advantage over other people applying for medicine.
Thanks in advance,
Harbour.
ps I also have hospital work experience I carried out when I was still at school and also did voluntary work in a local care home during the summer of 2010. Ilness prevented my attending uni this year.

Yes some medical schools do slightly favour those who already have their achieved grades. Peninsula for instance pretty much ignore your UKCAT score and interview you with grades already in hand whilst Cardiff add on more points to your GCSE points score.
Reply 2
Thank you. Wow, I hope you are correct. I read somewhere on this site, that 476 out of 680 people interviewed at Penninsula were offered places. 7O% is alot! If what you say is true the odds may be stacked in my favour! Though I doubt grades obtained alone could get me to interview stage sigh....
Congrats on your offer, btw!
Reply 3
Original post by Harbour
Thank you. Wow, I hope you are correct. I read somewhere on this site, that 476 out of 680 people interviewed at Penninsula were offered places. 7O% is alot! If what you say is true the odds may be stacked in my favour! Though I doubt grades obtained alone could get me to interview stage sigh....
Congrats on your offer, btw!

Taken from their technical admissions manual- UKCAT test results are used alongside the academic information provided on the UCAS form in order to select candidates for interview. Applicants who apply using grades that have already been achieved need not sit the UKCAT examination.

Peninsula has a very straight forward admissions process. As long as you meet the required GCSE grades (Cs I think) they then rank applicants in order of predicted grades and UKCAT. AAA for predictions is sufficient but they operate a UKCAT cut off for the individual sections and overall. It varies but this year it was 642.5 overall. As long as you meet both those requirements (UKCAT and predicted grades) You will be interviewed. So you should be interviewed :smile:
Reply 4
So just to be totally clear, are you saying when they rank candidates, the UKCAT section does not apply to those who already have their A level results? ie they ignore the UKCAT score if you already have the actual required grades?
Sorry to be such a pest :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Harbour
So just to be totally clear, are you saying when they rank candidates, the UKCAT section does not apply to those who already have their A level results? ie they ignore the UKCAT score if you already have the actual required grades?
Sorry to be such a pest :wink:

Yep that's exactly what I'm saying :tongue:. If you have a look on the stalking thread you will see a few applicants who managed to get interviews with scores lower than 642.5. These are all re-applicants (those with grades in hand). I'm not saying don't take the UKCAT because you will no doubt need it for your other choices, just don't worry about it mattering to Peninsula if you choose to apply there. The interview process is slightly different to most medical schools because it's very structured and It's the only opportunity they have to assess your non academic side of your application (Personal statements aren't used to select applicants for interview).
Reply 6
Thanks again myyrh. Penninsula is quite similar to my home uni (qub) which now does multiple mini interview format whereas previously no interviews were conducted. Like Penninsula, they seem to reward re-applicants and award a maximum of 36 points (equivalent of 9A*s) to such people. And that's before the UCKAT scores are added, which can add a maximum of 6 points to the GCSE score for a possible total of 42 altogether. In other words, even a relatively poor UKCAT performance might still get one to the interview stage. However, what to expect from this mmi format I'm not sure!
Reply 7
Original post by Harbour
Thanks again myyrh. Penninsula is quite similar to my home uni (qub) which now does multiple mini interview format whereas previously no interviews were conducted. Like Penninsula, they seem to reward re-applicants and award a maximum of 36 points (equivalent of 9A*s) to such people. And that's before the UCKAT scores are added, which can add a maximum of 6 points to the GCSE score for a possible total of 42 altogether. In other words, even a relatively poor UKCAT performance might still get one to the interview stage. However, what to expect from this mmi format I'm not sure!

Well Peninsula doesn't do MMI. You first have to fill in a questionnaire and choose a scenario from a selection, then you're are interviewed by either three or four people (panel interview) and the scenario forms the basis of it to an extent. It's just that Peninsula interview questions are pretty different from standard interviews, very heavy on ethics :tongue: I had an MMI at Lancaster and although I'm not allowed to discuss the actual questions and stations, all I'll say is I found it extremely long, difficult and stressful :redface: So yeah something to look forward to :cool:
Reply 8
Original post by Harbour

would some medical schools consider it advantageous for a candidate to already have their A level results, compared to the majority of applicants who are still at school and thus only have predicted A level results?.

Yes.

You'll still need a good UKCAT and you need to add some recent work/voluntary experience (if your last was in 2010).
Yes, St Andrews can also be added to that list as they give more points to those with achieved grades ("The academic score for applicants with predicted grades will not be as high as that for those with obtained qualifications").

Although unlike what people are saying about Peninsula you still need a good UKCAT and a minimum of 8 A grades at GCSE (not A* though).
Reply 10
Original post by Kingbradley6
Yes, St Andrews can also be added to that list as they give more points to those with achieved grades ("The academic score for applicants with predicted grades will not be as high as that for those with obtained qualifications").

Although unlike what people are saying about Peninsula you still need a good UKCAT and a minimum of 8 A grades at GCSE (not A* though).

8A's at GCSE for Peninsula? Definitely not because I dont have that and still hold an offer..
Reply 11
Leeds give you 2 points for interview selection, it's not a lot but it's enough to sway it for some people.
As someone with at least AAA already I would 100% recommend applying to Belfast, check their website, lots easier as a reapplicant, they seem to favour them.
Reply 12
Original post by hopes
8A's at GCSE for Peninsula? Definitely not because I dont have that and still hold an offer..

He was referring to St Andrews.
Original post by myyrh
He was referring to St Andrews.

Yeah sorry if I didn't make it clear, I thought I did. I was referring to St Andrews.
Reply 14
Original post by Sherbet
Leeds give you 2 points for interview selection, it's not a lot but it's enough to sway it for some people.
As someone with at least AAA already I would 100% recommend applying to Belfast, check their website, lots easier as a reapplicant, they seem to favour them.

Well thats what I thought! It also had the big plus (for me personally) of being my home university (less than 10 min drive lol) so none of the higher fees as a 'home' student :smile: But I just wondered if other uni's similarly favoured re-applicants. Good to here other places may give some extra credit to that fact.

Quick Reply

Latest