The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3180
Join the fb group Esther. Loads of people keen to house share on there. Search Plymouth Uni Paramedic Practitioner
Reply 3181
Thankyou :smile:
Reply 3182
I'm 5th on the waiting list for Georges but I have just firmed my place at Plymouth so that's one person down and I know a friend who got an offer at George's which she hasn't turned down yet, but she will be as it was her 3rd choice. He also knows someone else with an offer who isn't going there. So that's two people not going. Good luck guys! So pleased I got a place at Plymouth. George's was just too far away for me. Xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Gue-Gumz
I'm 5th on the waiting list for Georges but I have just firmed my place at Plymouth so that's one person down and I know a friend who got an offer at George's which she hasn't turned down yet, but she will be as it was her 3rd choice. He also knows someone else with an offer who isn't going there. So that's two people not going. Good luck guys! So pleased I got a place at Plymouth. George's was just too far away for me. Xx

Thanks for the information - congratulations on your Plymouth place! I have heard it's a great uni! Good luck with the course!
Hi guys, congratulations to everyone who has places, i hope you enjoy your courses :smile:

From an existing student para :smile:
Hi guys.

I'm not actually applying until 2013 entry so I thought I'd linger around in here for some help if you don't mind!

Can anyone advise me on the best way to seek work experience relevant to my degree? I don't currently have any (hence the not applying this time round) so I don't know where to start.

Is there any 1 year course I could take at college starting this September that could help my application? I already have A levels, so I'm just looking for something to top it up.

Good luck everyone!

Original post by tracijune
Hi guys.

I'm not actually applying until 2013 entry so I thought I'd linger around in here for some help if you don't mind!

Can anyone advise me on the best way to seek work experience relevant to my degree? I don't currently have any (hence the not applying this time round) so I don't know where to start.

Is there any 1 year course I could take at college starting this September that could help my application? I already have A levels, so I'm just looking for something to top it up.

Good luck everyone!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhonHe/iPad App

If you're looking for a job etc. then something in care work is good whether in home care or care assistant etc. If you want a more volunteer type thing then things like helping in a care home or with kids groups such as brownies, cadets, scouts etc would be fab.

Course wise there isn't a huge amount but f you want something that might help your learning pre-uni then the open uni human biology module (SK277) is good.
Reply 3187
has anyone heard anything about BCU yet?
Reply 3188
Hi guys.

Good luck everyone!

Hey,

I was in a similar position to yourself. I would recommend taking an 'Access to Higher Education Diploma' in Health Sciences. It can be done in a year or two years part time. I completed mine in a year, very good course, gives a solid understanding of the material you will build on at uni and also good if you don't have science-y based A-Levels. However the course is very popular so I would apply quickly if you want to commence this September. The best work experience I would recommend is through the healthcare assistant roles at either a hospital or nursing home.

Hope this helps.

Mikey x
Original post by manslow1
Hey,

I was in a similar position to yourself. I would recommend taking an 'Access to Higher Education Diploma' in Health Sciences. It can be done in a year or two years part time. I completed mine in a year, very good course, gives a solid understanding of the material you will build on at uni and also good if you don't have science-y based A-Levels. However the course is very popular so I would apply quickly if you want to commence this September. The best work experience I would recommend is through the healthcare assistant roles at either a hospital or nursing home.

Hope this helps.

Mikey x

Hi Mikey, thanks for the reply.

I've been looking at Access courses that I could do via distance learning as I am not in a position to go back to college at the moment. I have found a few different ones, there's an Access to Paramedicine Diploma but I don't know whether to go for that or the Access to Health Professions in case the paramedic thing doesn't work out and I have to go into a different area.

I'm going to look into the healthcare assistant thing now, thank you!
Reply 3190

I've been looking at Access courses that I could do via distance learning as I am not in a position to go back to college at the moment. I have found a few different ones, there's an Access to Paramedicine Diploma but I don't know whether to go for that or the Access to Health Professions in case the paramedic thing doesn't work out and I have to go into a different area.

Hey,

That sounds a great idea. Just be sure to check with the unis you are hoping to apply to that they accept Access to Higher Educational Diplomas achieved through Distance Learning as I know Swansea didn't accept the qualification if it was gained via distance learning but were happy to consider it if it was gained through a college or higher educational institue.

I personally would favour the access to health professions diploma. As long as they have sciencey based subjects, they will be acceptable. A lot of Paramedicine is combining and building on skills from other health professions, such as Nursing.

Hope this helps again, however only you can decide what is best for you :smile:. Best of luck, let me know what you decide to do.

Mikey xx
Reply 3191
get yourself on an Access to HE course in Health Professions x
Hi guys.

Good luck everyone!

What are your A level grades. As long as they're decent then an access course would be a waste of time and money.

Hey Esther, I confirmed my place back in February now, and have been thinking the same thing for a while, have you had much response? I was hoping to find other paramedic students to live with.

I'm starting to get excited now. . . lots of pennies to earn over the summer but it doesnt seem far away now. Do you know Plymouth at all? I'm thinking of trying to live somewhere between Muttley and Derriford, so Its kind of equal distance.

I have only just discovered these forums and a facebook page, I don't know if you have seen it?

Any way

Looking forward to September

Ben
Original post by manslow1
Hey,

That sounds a great idea. Just be sure to check with the unis you are hoping to apply to that they accept Access to Higher Educational Diplomas achieved through Distance Learning as I know Swansea didn't accept the qualification if it was gained via distance learning but were happy to consider it if it was gained through a college or higher educational institue.

I personally would favour the access to health professions diploma. As long as they have sciencey based subjects, they will be acceptable. A lot of Paramedicine is combining and building on skills from other health professions, such as Nursing.

Hope this helps again, however only you can decide what is best for you :smile:. Best of luck, let me know what you decide to do.

Mikey xx

I didn't even think about checking the uni's I want to apply to would accept Access courses by distance learning. Thanks! I'll contact them to ask and hopefully it won't be too long before they get back to me. You've been very helpful, thanks so much!

What are your A level grades. As long as they're decent then an access course would be a waste of time and money.

I got Psychology: C, Sociology: C, Law: E and ICT: C. They're not the best and not science related, plus I got them 5 years ago as I am 23 now so I figured the Access course would be the best way to go.
Hi guys.

Good luck everyone!

Hi,

try and get some experiences around the ambulances or hospitals, they may appreciate this. Also, St John or British red cross may be helpful, if you emphasise there are large differences between these and the ambulance staff

I know it sounds silly, but try and meet a few paramedics, ask what the job means, find out what you'll be dealing with, what the different staffing levels etc are. They appreciate your background knowledge as well as experience.

Lastly, although its not experience, get your C1 done. The earlier it is done, the less you have to worry about your application in regards to this.

Wish you well, if there's anything else feel free to contact me on TSR

sweety
LJMU accept Access courses via distance learning :-D just waiting to hear from the others.

Reply 3197
Original post by zombie1
has anyone heard anything about BCU yet?

Not a peep, very badly organised i think.
Hiya, Fairly new to this but have been watching it for a while! Just got an unconditional from Herts today for their FdSc programme :biggrin: had been put on the waiting list but thankfully that's all over! I wondered if there was some facebook group or anything with other 2012 students?

crazeyaker
Reply 3199
Hiya Guys

Hope everyone is good. For everyone who has offers for Worcester, we have a FB group. PM me and then I can add you.

xxx

Latest