The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

See, to me an app and a program are different.

An app is a one or limited use tool which will allow me to do a simple task very quickly and efficiently. Often it will provide a more limited but formatted for mobile experience for a website. Examples include: Tapatalk, ROM manager, Wifi Kill :colone:

A program is something that allows me to use a whole host of tools to create / modify a file or system. For example: Exchange Management Console, Cubase, Visual Studio.
Reply 3261
Original post by mikeyd85
See, to me an app and a program are different.

An app is a one or limited use tool which will allow me to do a simple task very quickly and efficiently. Often it will provide a more limited but formatted for mobile experience for a website. Examples include: Tapatalk, ROM manager, Wifi Kill :colone:

A program is something that allows me to use a whole host of tools to create / modify a file or system. For example: Exchange Management Console, Cubase, Visual Studio.

Kinda interesting really. :beard: Mac OS has referred to programs as applications (and used the .app extension) since time immemorial, hence when iOS 2.0 got released, the "App Store" was born because it was selling Cocoa applications, not Windows executables or programs or anything else.

And then Android + others simply copied the use of the word "app" for their devices, causing Apple to try and trademark "App Store" to shut them out (because apparently "app" is something they invented…). And so the trend was born.

To a developer though, the difference between applications and programs is purely semantic in most cases, the exception being with certain technologies, e.g. Java apps vs. Java programs. You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to. :p:
Original post by Dez
Kinda interesting really. :beard: Mac OS has referred to programs as applications (and used the .app extension) since time immemorial, hence when iOS 2.0 got released, the "App Store" was born because it was selling Cocoa applications, not Windows executables or programs or anything else.

And then Android + others simply copied the use of the word "app" for their devices, causing Apple to try and trademark "App Store" to shut them out (because apparently "app" is something they invented…). And so the trend was born.

To a developer though, the difference between applications and programs is purely semantic in most cases, the exception being with certain technologies, e.g. Java apps vs. Java programs. You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to. :p:

Nice bit of history there. Didn't know (most of) that at all!

Agreed on the case of the dev point of view. I know that it's just semantics, but you can bet that most people these days will look at an Android or iOS program and call it an app.

It's fun to confuse people with that one! :colone:
Original post by Dez

Thanks for that. That does make sense now why Apple would want to trademark the "App Store" name.
Reply 3264
I'm not very happy!

I thought I would try Apple iCloud services by creating an e-mail address. They only allowed me to create an @me.com e-mail address. After realising there was no point of having it I tried to find a solution online on how to delete it. I visted various websites, TSR, Google, Thumb app, Apple forum and eventually phoned them.

The guy didn't have a clue, put me on hold for 8 and a half minutes and came back and said "I tried, I tried, I tried but I couldn't find a solution".

By trying I think he just used Google.

Why the **** can't you delete an @me.com e-mail address.

Google allows removing your personal information from their servers.

Hotmail allows removing your personal information from their servers.

But not Apple :angry:

This is the first time I'm unhappy with their services but as I have faith in them I can see them changing their policy in the near future.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mangoh
I'm not very happy!

I thought I would try Apple iCloud services by creating an e-mail address. They only allowed me to create an @me.com e-mail address. After realising there was no point of having it I tried to find a solution online on how to delete it. I visted various websites, TSR, Google, Thumb app, Apple forum and eventually phoned them.

The guy didn't have a clue, put me on hold for 8 and a half minutes and came back and said "I tried, I tried, I tried but I couldn't find a solution".

By trying I think he just used Google.

Why the **** can't you delete an @me.com e-mail address.

Google allows removing your personal information from their servers.

Hotmail allows removing your personal information from their servers.

But not Apple :angry:

This is the first time I'm unhappy with their services but as I have faith in them I can see them changing their policy in the near future.

It's called the exploitation of fanatical loyal customers.
Reply 3266
"Mangoh Chutneys", absolutely hilarious!
Reply 3267
Today, registration is officially open for the Windows Upgrade Offer we announced in May. If you purchase or have purchased an eligible Windows 7 PC anytime between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013 you will be able to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $14.99 (U.S.) which will be redeemable when Windows 8 is generally available on October 26th. If you’re still looking for a PC, check out some of our great Windows 7 PCs. Once you’ve purchased your PC you can come back and register for the offer.

Registration for the Windows Upgrade Offer is only for those who buy an eligible Windows 7 PC between June 2nd and January 31st, 2013.

Here is what you need to do to register for your $14.99 (U.S.) upgrade to Windows 8 Pro:

After buying your PC, go to the Windows Upgrade Offer website to register. It will ask you to select your country (details for the offer vary depending on country). You will then be asked to register with your personal details as well as information about your Windows 7 PC purchase including date of purchase, retailer, and PC brand and model. You should also have your 25-digit Windows 7 product key that came with the PC handy as you may be required to enter this as part of the registration.

Then starting on October 26th, we will start sending out promo codes via email with purchase instructions. You will be directed to Windows.com where you will go through the online upgrade process with the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant (shown above) as I have highlighted here in this blog post. Once you get to the purchase screen in the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, it will show the $39.99 upgrade price. However, on the order confirmation page you’ll have a chance to enter your promo code that price will change to $14.99. Once you make your purchase, your download and upgrade installation begins!

You will have until February 28, 2013 to register for the offer to get Windows 8 Pro for $14.99.

If you experience any issues or have questions - you can click the contact support link at the top of the Windows Upgrade Offer website.

Did you already buy an awesome Windows 7 PC prior to June 2nd (or have a Windows 7 PC not eligible for the offer)? Not to worry! Starting on October 26th, you will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99!

Both the Windows Upgrade Offer and $39.99 upgrade promotion is available in 140 countries worldwide, with 37 supported languages, and 23 supported currencies (we’ve added 9 additional countries over the original 131!).

More...

Related joke to cheer you up

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of help. I recently bought a laptop for uni, a Packard Bell easynote TS. It came with an Intel Celeron B815 processor, and 4GB of RAM. The company I bought it from upgraded the RAM for free, so I've got 8GB of RAM. Was wondering if it's worth me ugrading the processor to like an i3 or i5 to make the most of the bigger memory?
If I've counted correctly, it's now been a month without internet and the novelty has well and truly worn off now :|
Original post by hockeyjoe
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of help. I recently bought a laptop for uni, a Packard Bell easynote TS. It came with an Intel Celeron B815 processor, and 4GB of RAM. The company I bought it from upgraded the RAM for free, so I've got 8GB of RAM. Was wondering if it's worth me ugrading the processor to like an i3 or i5 to make the most of the bigger memory?

Processors in laptops are rarely user upgradable unfortunately. Your best bet for a performance boost would be installing a solid state drive, although I'm unsure as to whether or not the proccor will act as a bottleneckm
Original post by hockeyjoe

In addition to what Gofre said, it's a different socket so an Sandy/Ivy Bridge LGA1155 processor won't fit
Reply 3271
Lol Jiygabyte? (Click the speaker)

haha and like the sprinkler effect I made.

Can you do better?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3272
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Response :wink:

@whoever is posting gaming screenshots such as GTA 5 (no graphical stuff) appropriate in the 'tech society'?
(edited 11 years ago)
I might give windows 8 a try again but on the desktop this time. I'm pretty certain of what I will think but I might be wrong and like it this time.
Reply 3274
Original post by Scott1541
I might give windows 8 a try again but on the desktop this time. I'm pretty certain of what I will think but I might be wrong and like it this time.

Same I think I need to as well as I never really gave it a chance. It's easy to say it's crap when you really haven't tried it or when you just listen to other peoples' opinions on W8 online.
Original post by mangoh
Response :wink:

@whoever is posting gaming screenshots such as GTA 5 (no graphical stuff) appropriate in the 'tech society'?

Keep it to the Gaming forum plzkthxbye.
GAAAAGGGHHH

My CPU isn't going to be delivered till NEXT TUESDAY. I have everything else except the PSU but that's likely going to come tomorrow :frown:
Original post by wizard710
GAAAAGGGHHH

My CPU isn't going to be delivered till NEXT TUESDAY. I have everything else except the PSU but that's likely going to come tomorrow :frown:

Hate it when that happens :frown:

Original post by wizard710
GAAAAGGGHHH

I like abusing the Amazon Prime trial for the free next day delivery :wink:
Even Yodel are doing a good job for a change. Hope the estimated delivery will shorten but with the bank holiday, I'm not hopeful

Latest