The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine MBChB A100 Applicants 2012

This poll is closed

What is your GCSE Score (from the nine and including: Science, Maths and English)?

14 points and below (You probably do not meet the academic entry requirements) 2%
15 points 2%
16 points 3%
17 points 15%
18 points 54%
I did not apply to Liverpool. I just want to vote for the 'lulz'.24%
Total votes: 324
Test
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I most probably will be.
Just waiting for results day though so fingers crossed.. :redface:
Original post by Cutaneoplast™
All the best. Pardon my ignorance but when does A level results come out? Also, will you be working as a HCA during your gap year? I used to be an HCA too in London. :smile:

Thursday 18th so next week.. :eek:
And yes i intend to keep my HCA job for the whole year, maybe take a few days off occasionally to observe in other departments/shadow other teams/see some surgery cos i work full time and don't have much time to volunteer as such (still worried if this will hinder my chances or not - all my voluntary stuff is sport related and I think unis like Liverpool want to see a range of exciting medically-related things in your personal statement) :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ah, that's probably the best way to spend your gap year if you're reapplying for entry in 2012. At least you wouldn't have to worry about UKCAT/BMAT if you apply to Liverpool. :P It's good to have a variety of things to write on your personal statement though having said that it's quality not quantity which counts in the end. Also, you can use TSR's free PS Help service to help you improve your personal statement if you want if you've not done so already.

I plan to use PS helper once I make a decent first draft (probably around results day) :smile:
I should hopefully be able to write about my work experience tactfully on my ps

I'm asking because, at my camb interview for med last year, I was asked if i did any extra reading, so i starting talking about some medical article/journal i'd read but he specifically wanted to know about extra books, i froze because other than my a level textbooks i hadn't read the kind of books he was referring to.

I'm kind of trying to make sure i'm ticking all the boxes such as reading books/articles, work experience (paid & voluntary) etc. I know there's no checklist that will guarantee an interview/place but just don't want to be caught unaware with a question like: "Have you got any voluntary medically-related work experience" because i haven't (got the voluntary work exp and got the medically-related work exp but not both)

Hope i'm making sense..
On the other hand, I may just be paranoid :tongue:
Reply 4
Hey! I am a gap year student and got A*A*B in Chemisrty, Maths and Bio respectively. Do you guys think it is wise to apply to Liverpool to study medicine with these grades?
........and hey I have been working as an HCA too! :smile:
Reply 5
I'm applyiing to liverpool as well! :biggrin:

SO EXCITED!:bl:
Original post by Shaz51
Hey! I am a gap year student and got A*A*B in Chemisrty, Maths and Bio respectively. Do you guys think it is wise to apply to Liverpool to study medicine with these grades?
........and hey I have been working as an HCA too! :smile:

:five:
And I'm not sure myself, doesn't seem like the end of the world (and if they use UCAS points then it shouldn't be a problem at all)
But it's always best to just email/phone them so you have a realistic idea. You don't even have to give a name if you ring them up..

And how are you finding your HCA job? What kind of hospital/department do you work in?
Reply 7
Very exciting indeed. Have you also applied to Canadian medical schools too? I heard it's waay more competitive to get into medical school in Canada.:eek:
Which other medical schools are you thinking of applying in the UK?

Hello,

Sadly, in Canada, they only offer post-grad med school. This means I have to go through 4 years of hard-core schooling and apply for a grad school where my chances are not even good...

But in all seriousness, I would love to practice in the UK because of their advanced medical programme. and my dream is to join MSF or doctors without borders, and help those who are less fortunate.

Maybe after, i can go change the medical school system in canada :biggrin:
Reply 8
Oooh, I just realised you live quite close to Toronto! I hope to spend my 4 week electives in Univ. of Toronto soon. :biggrin:

That is AMAZING! People in Toronto die to study in Univeristy of Toronto Med School. :biggrin: Maybe I'll see you around! I go to U of T quite often :P I'll try to find a person with a british accent :cool:
Hi, i will be applying to medicine at liverpool. I have a 2:1 anatomy honours degree from glasgow uni, plenty of work experience,care work and voluntary experience with AABBC from highers in school with another higher sitting this year. FINGERS CROSSED! ukcat only 612 so hoping liverpool will take me! xx:smile:
Thanks very much i really really hope just somewhere gives me an interview !!! I dont know whether to apply for GEM or 5 year what do u recommend?
Just to say good luck to you guys - If I got in then you can too! If you have any questions please message me :smile:
Hey, congrats on your offer! Does the 2011 cohort have a facebook group? I so can't wait for fresher's week. :biggrin: I'll be starting Year 0 Medicine not Year 1 though, so I'll technically be joining the 2012 cohort next year.

Yeah it's this: http://www.facebook.com/Liverpoolmedics so I take it you're deferred then??
Just re read this requirements and im hoping I dont need advanced highers aswell as i never sat any !! :frown: I have my degree so I thought liverpool wouldnt look strongly at my qualifications from school as they were sat a gd few years ago!!! :frown: I have sent them my CV , really struggling now to find a uni who dont look at qualifications from school! :frown: xx
just got an email saying i wont make it to interview without advanced highers :frown:
Reply 15
I am wishing to apply to Liverpool Uni. I am trying to organise myself early and have the strongest application possible.

After reviewing the entry requirements on the website, I believe that I would be in a good position, even though I do not have the greatest assortment of A*s

My under-exaggerated predicted grades (that are much lower than what my school states, but I do not want to get ahead of myself, and so there is a great chance they will be better) are:

English- A A
Math - A
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Physics - A
History - A
Geography - A
Catering (proper GCSE not an equivalent) A
I.T - A A

I also completed maths for a different exam board, so do I, effectively, have two maths GCSE's. Edexcel Modular Maths and OCR Linear Maths?

My volunteering/work ex has already been organised and I have been doing it now for 4 weeks. By the time I apply for uni, I will have been doing it for over 1 year.

I am on great terms with my A-Level teachers, after having them for GCSE as well. So, I would feel I have a great chance of obtaining good predicted grades - they are aware of how much I am willing to work.

My A-Level options comply with the requirements of most universities:
Biology*
Chemistry*
English
History

Even though subjects such as maths and physicals are not directly required by uni's, there seems to be an air of suspicion that they are needed. Would my lack of these subjects have a detrimental affect on my app? Even if my grades matched or were better than people with all the sciences?

Assuming I obtain the required grades, would anybody be willing to state whether or not they think I would stand a good chance of getting an interview?

Any tips/insights into Liverpool's med school, and how to get into it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Original post by Phil90974
I am wishing to apply to Liverpool Uni. I am trying to organise myself early and have the strongest application possible.

After reviewing the entry requirements on the website, I believe that I would be in a good position, even though I do not have the greatest assortment of A*s

My under-exaggerated predicted grades (that are much lower than what my school states, but I do not want to get ahead of myself, and so there is a great chance they will be better) are:

English- A A
Math - A
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Physics - A
History - A
Geography - A
Catering (proper GCSE not an equivalent) A
I.T - A A

I also completed maths for a different exam board, so do I, effectively, have two maths GCSE's. Edexcel Modular Maths and OCR Linear Maths?

My volunteering/work ex has already been organised and I have been doing it now for 4 weeks. By the time I apply for uni, I will have been doing it for over 1 year.

I am on great terms with my A-Level teachers, after having them for GCSE as well. So, I would feel I have a great chance of obtaining good predicted grades - they are aware of how much I am willing to work.

My A-Level options comply with the requirements of most universities:
Biology*
Chemistry*
English
History

Even though subjects such as maths and physicals are not directly required by uni's, there seems to be an air of suspicion that they are needed. Would my lack of these subjects have a detrimental affect on my app? Even if my grades matched or were better than people with all the sciences?

Assuming I obtain the required grades, would anybody be willing to state whether or not they think I would stand a good chance of getting an interview?

Any tips/insights into Liverpool's med school, and how to get into it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

I had 2 A*s and 9 As for GCSE so they really do see A*s and As as the same. As for the worry over A level choices, I did Chem, Bio, Psychology and History to A2 and that was fine. Most people did just 3 to A2 and that was fine with them, made no real difference to their chances. What matters more is the quality of your work experience and volunteering and outside interests and hobbies - and how your comment on them in your personal statement. It's good your getting ready so early! Good luck!
Considering applying, can't decide between Liverpool or Lancaster :/

Anyone know how Many they interview or apps they've got in one of the years?
Damn iPhone won't let me google anything
Thinking of applying to Liverpool as a resit applicant ! May apply to both Liverpool and Lancaster :P

Original post by laurenl93
Considering applying, can't decide between Liverpool or Lancaster :/

Anyone know how Many they interview or apps they've got in one of the years?
Damn iPhone won't let me google anything

Hi! I think we both applied to the same unis last year. How did results go? Did you get any offers last year?

Best of Luck!
Reply 19
I may apply to liverpool! They dont have the UKCAT and they don't seem to look at grades, so do they put a lot of stress on the personal statement and extracurriculars? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest