The Student Room Group

Greggs or Sainsburys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Holby_fanatic
x

Original post by conway!
x

Sorry guys, how about now? Mine still hasn't gone through and I just want to check its only me before I mention it.
Reply 41
Original post by Henwin
Sorry guys, how about now? Mine still hasn't gone through and I just want to check its only me before I mention it.

Oh, weird, I actually do have mine now. Sounds like they haven't sorted it...I wouldn't expect it before next Thursday then, any time my wages have been messed up I've had to wait till the next week. That's a bit gutting if you were expecting your first pay, but at least it will be double :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Henwin

You could possibly ask for an advance? If you tell your manager that you're struggling for money, etc, then they may be able to get authorisation from wages to make a pay out through the till which would then be deducted next week. I'm pretty sure that that policy covers all regions and is certainly followed in Scotland.
Reply 43
Original post by conway!
Oh, weird, I actually do have mine now. Sounds like they haven't sorted it...I wouldn't expect it before next Thursday then, any time my wages have been messed up I've had to wait till the next week. That's a bit gutting if you were expecting your first pay, but at least it will be double :smile:

Triple actually, since I'm still waiting on my induction pay too! Do I just get given my wage slip and tell them it hasn't gone into my bank or...? Sorry, I'm not good at stuff like this :colondollar:

Original post by NathanM
You could possibly ask for an advance? If you tell your manager that you're struggling for money, etc, then they may be able to get authorisation from wages to make a pay out through the till which would then be deducted next week. I'm pretty sure that that policy covers all regions and is certainly followed in Scotland.

Oh no it's fine, I don't need it desperately or anything. I'd just like to know it's sorted out! Thanks for the advice all the same :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Henwin
Triple actually, since I'm still waiting on my induction pay too! Do I just get given my wage slip and tell them it hasn't gone into my bank or...? Sorry, I'm not good at stuff like this :colondollar:

If you've not been paid, then you shouldn't have a payslip. If you just tell your manager that you haven't been paid then they should be able to chase it up for you. Or you could phone the bakery yourself and ask to be put through to weekly payroll and just tell them the same thing? Cuts out the middle man :P Although you'll most likely have to wait until Monday now to do this.

Oh no it's fine, I don't need it desperately or anything. I'd just like to know it's sorted out! Thanks for the advice all the same :smile:

Any time :smile:
Reply 45
You probably know by now, but just in case - at Greggs, I was told our pay goes in at literally after midnight on the Wednesday night/Thursday morning, depending on how you look at it. I don't check it til like 7am, but its in by then. And of course, a bank holiday week means our pay is pushed back to Friday.
Reply 46
Original post by NathanM
If you've not been paid, then you shouldn't have a payslip. If you just tell your manager that you haven't been paid then they should be able to chase it up for you. Or you could phone the bakery yourself and ask to be put through to weekly payroll and just tell them the same thing? Cuts out the middle man :P Although you'll most likely have to wait until Monday now to do this.

That would make sense :colondollar:

I'll maybe mention it to the manager if I get a chance but not specifically seek her out and then if not I'll call the bakery? I was going to do that the other day but I couldn't find a number to call. Where would I get that?
Reply 47
Original post by Henwin
That would make sense :colondollar:

I'll maybe mention it to the manager if I get a chance but not specifically seek her out and then if not I'll call the bakery? I was going to do that the other day but I couldn't find a number to call. Where would I get that?

Here! :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by NathanM

You're so helpful it's insane!

I spoke to my manager (who scares me a bit...) yesterday, she said it hasn't been sorted yet but it's getting done. I did see a guy who was at my induction's payslip envelope on the table in the staffroom though, so who knows :rolleyes:

I'll call them if it's not in by this week :smile:
Reply 49
Okay! So I've been paid tonight - but only £89.20.

I've worked four 6 hour shifts and one 4 hour shift, so by my workings that should be more like £150? :confused:

£89.20 works out to be about 16 hours of work, so I'm not sure how that could be from looking at when I worked.
Reply 50
Henwin
x
Sounds like you've been BR'd (emergency tax) Have you submited a P45 or P46? If not then you'll be getting taxed 50% of your earnings. Don't worry if you are though - if you ask your manager for a P46, fill it in, get it back to the bakery and then you should be sorted for next week or the week after. Check out your payslip first to see if this is the case though, obviously.

Also, the cut-off for payroll is Saturday, so anything that you've worked Sunday to tomorrow will be included in next week's pay.
Reply 51
Original post by NathanM
Sounds like you've been BR'd (emergency tax) Have you submited a P45 or P46? If not then you'll be getting taxed 50% of your earnings. Don't worry if you are though - if you ask your manager for a P46, fill it in, get it back to the bakery and then you should be sorted for next week or the week after. Check out your payslip first to see if this is the case though, obviously.

Also, the cut-off for payroll is Saturday, so anything that you've worked Sunday to tomorrow will be included in next week's pay.

Yeah, I got the payslip as well as asking my manager, she explained it all and it makes a lot more sense. The first week being held and the pay being a week behind and the week starting on Sunday all just worked together to make it really confusing for me, but I'm satisfied I've got what I'm meant to have now :colondollar:

Now my next problem to tackle is the fact I've done none of my BI book whatsoever!
Original post by Henwin
Now my next problem to tackle is the fact I've done none of my BI book whatsoever!

BI is easy. i did 3/4s of mine in like a hour. just tick a box easy peasy.

however it will take months for payroll to adjust your pay, at least it gets backdated :smile:.
Reply 53
Original post by Henwin

Uh-oh! Good luck with that :smile: Although I think BIng is actually worse for the Manager as they have to complete all those bloody observations! When you've got a shop consisting ENTIRELY of new starts (and the managers of the shops they have been training in haven't bothered their backsides to complete any obs) it can start to stress you out a little, teeny, tiny bit!

Oh well, I'm officially Greggs free! My last day was on Friday and I start my new job tomorrow at 10am. No rest for the wicked, eh?
Reply 54
Original post by orange'94
BI is easy. i did 3/4s of mine in like a hour. just tick a box easy peasy.

however it will take months for payroll to adjust your pay, at least it gets backdated :smile:.

At least with the amount of hours I do missing out on 20p an hour won't bother me too much :biggrin:

Original post by NathanM
Uh-oh! Good luck with that :smile: Although I think BIng is actually worse for the Manager as they have to complete all those bloody observations! When you've got a shop consisting ENTIRELY of new starts (and the managers of the shops they have been training in haven't bothered their backsides to complete any obs) it can start to stress you out a little, teeny, tiny bit!

Oh well, I'm officially Greggs free! My last day was on Friday and I start my new job tomorrow at 10am. No rest for the wicked, eh?

Does it have to be the manager or can an assistant manager do it? I've only actually had one shift with the manager and I'm a bit scared of her but the assistant manager's a laugh and usually the one there. I really don't mind when it's get done (and fair enough they're busy, I'm one of four newbies) as long as you can confirm I'm not gonna get kicked out for not finishing in the 8 weeks...

Oh, where are you going? I'm afraid you can't actually leave, I need someone reliable to ask stupid questions to on this thread...
well i'm going to start working in greggs next week, really excited that ive finally got a job but whats it really like working there? im going to be working at the nice greggs in westfield stratford :biggrin:
Reply 56
Original post by tashareginax
well i'm going to start working in greggs next week, really excited that ive finally got a job but whats it really like working there? im going to be working at the nice greggs in westfield stratford :biggrin:

It's good but make sure you're never just standing around! There are always tons of things to do, but when you're new you don't know that they need done. Fill up the sugar and the milk, clean, get new carrier bags if the bags are almost done, refill the juice and the crisps, if someone says "Will x do the papers...oh she's not been shown how..." somebody will often do it and not tell you how, I'd recommend asking if you can watch and then do it next time....I wish I'd known what to do, as I often found myself standing about awkwardly as everyone else had something and it was embarrassing because I thought I looked lazy :P
Reply 57
Original post by jellybean_
Thanks to any answers :biggrin:

Congrats on ya job lol Iknw I'm a bit late but need a bit of your help now :colondollar:
I got a greggs interview next week, but I'm unsure of something. They sent me an email saying 'It is also very important that you bring along full EMAIL contact details, including addresses, of two referees, one of which should be your current/last employer. ' I have never been employed before so what should I do? And both my references are from school teachers and therefore I've got the school addresses, and my interview takes place after the school breaks up for summer holidays. I've obviously left the school now. Please help someone
Original post by noorul87
Congrats on ya job lol Iknw I'm a bit late but need a bit of your help now :colondollar:
I got a greggs interview next week, but I'm unsure of something. They sent me an email saying 'It is also very important that you bring along full EMAIL contact details, including addresses, of two referees, one of which should be your current/last employer. ' I have never been employed before so what should I do? And both my references are from school teachers and therefore I've got the school addresses, and my interview takes place after the school breaks up for summer holidays. I've obviously left the school now. Please help someone

just give the school email addresses , most teachers will regularly check there emails throughout the holidays unless they have gone aboard or something.
Also head office will deal with the references and by the time the message gets to you the teachers would of filled it out.
Reply 59
Original post by noorul87

As long as you never pretended to have been employed on your application, you'll be fine. My references were put through within a month though, is your school open to phone right now, and you can ask the specific teachers if they'd mind giving their e-mail addresses/home addresses? (or maybe even give you a written reference, sign it and put their phone numbers on to verify it). Even if you can't, if you can explain it's from school in the interview, they'll surely understand there's nothing you can do:smile:
(and good luck!)

Quick Reply