The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Ask Aston Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi Josh,

Can you find out if there is a placement year for BSc in Optometry? If there isn't, what would happen to the £1,000 from your Excellence Scholarship (supposing you were entitled to it), which they said is a discount for your placement year?

Thanks ever so much! :smile:
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by tianshan
Hi Josh,

Can you find out if there is a placement year for BSc in Optometry? If there isn't, what would happen to the £1,000 from your Excellence Scholarship (supposing you were entitled to it), which they said is a discount for your placement year?

Thanks ever so much! :smile:

Hi,

There is indeed a placement year embedded into our optometry course. In regards to the excellence scholarship discount, that would be directly applied to the tuition fees of placement year, nullifying any tuition fees for that year.

Any more questions just give me a shout.

Josh*
Hiiii Josh :biggrin:
Does Aston University offer the course 'Paramedic Science'?
Thank youu in advance.
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Hiiii Josh :biggrin:
Does Aston University offer the course 'Paramedic Science'?
Thank youu in advance.

Hi unfortunately we don't offer a course called Paramedic Science. The most appropriate equivalent we have is Biomedical Science;*http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/lhs/biomedical-sciences/

Original post by Aston University
Hi unfortunately we don't offer a course called Paramedic Science. The most appropriate equivalent we have is Biomedical Science;*http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/lhs/biomedical-sciences/

Oh ok, thank you! :smile:
Would it be possible to find a free parking space near Aston University? If so, how far would it be from campus? Thanks
Original post by jellymanjames10
Would it be possible to find a free parking space near Aston University? If so, how far would it be from campus? Thanks

Hi,

If you're looking for a quick stop there are a number of spots opposite the Tesco which is on our campus, however these are limited in availability so you might struggle if you need to use it at a busy time such as moving in day.

If you're looking for something for a longer stay we tend to suggest the Millenium Point car park over the road, it's not completely free but isn't extortionate.

Hope that helps.

Josh*
Hi again Josh, I've got one more question - hope you don't mind!

Aston said on their website that any applicant who achieves AAB or above will be eligible for an Aston Excellence Scholarship. So if you get accepted for a course with an entry requirement of AAB or above, like AAA, does that mean you're automatically entitled to the scholarship?

I hope this question makes sense!

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi again Josh, I've got one more question - hope you don't mind!

Aston said on their website that any applicant who achieves AAB or above will be eligible for an Aston Excellence Scholarship. So if you get accepted for a course with an entry requirement of AAB or above, like AAA, does that mean you're automatically entitled to the scholarship?

I hope this question makes sense!

Thanks

That's correct,

However we only have a small number of courses that have entry requirements of AAB and above, such as MOptom Optometry. Realistically across all universities, all entry requirements are lenient by one or two grades. Depending on the volume of applications. Thus, not everyone studying MOptom Optometry will be eligible for a scholarship, with a number holding grades below AAB.

I can see how you're putting two and two together and it's a worthwhile question, but hopefully dispelling the idea of entry requirements as an absolute will clear things up for you.

Anyone who does achieve an AAB or above will be eligible for the excellence scholarship, but it may be the case that students have been offered a place on a AAB course with an ABB for example.

Hope that helps

Josh
(edited 7 years ago)
That's correct,

However we only have a small number of courses that have entry requirements of AAB and above, such as MOptom Optometry. Realistically across all universities, all entry requirements are lenient by one or two grades. Depending on the volume of applications. Thus, not everyone studying MOptom Optometry will be eligible for a scholarship, with a number holding grades below AAB.

I can see how you're putting two and two together and it's a worthwhile question, but hopefully dispelling the idea of entry requirements as an absolute will clear things up for you.

Anyone who does achieve an AAB or above will be eligible for the excellence scholarship, but it may be the case that students have been offered a place on a AAB course with an ABB for example.

Hope that helps

Josh

Perfect, thank you. You have been very helpful. :h:
Perfect, thank you. You have been very helpful. :h:

No problem,

I hope you do well in your exams and qualify for the excellence scholarship. :smile:*
Reply 731
Ensuite deluxe room available on campus. 42 week license. Message for more details.
Hi Josh,Can I ask whether the foundation course for engineering and applied sciences normally goes into clearing and what grade did it drop too?Also what grade did mechanical engineering drop too.Thanks
Original post by stevedude123
Hi Josh,Can I ask whether the foundation course for engineering and applied sciences normally goes into clearing and what grade did it drop too?Also what grade did mechanical engineering drop too.Thanks

Hi Steve,*

Our foundation courses have historically gone into clearing. Normally the grades don't drop by more than one. A number of Foundation course places are offered to those whom fell short of the entry requirements for an undergraduate level engineering course, so they fill up quite fast.

In regards to Mechanical Engineering, if my memory serves; entry requirements dropped to BBC for our BEng course and ABB for our MEng course.*

However clearing grades are always subject to change and aren't guaranteed to mirror previous years.

Best of luck if you're expecting to enter clearing Steve. :smile:

Josh*
Hi Steve,*

Our foundation courses have historically gone into clearing. Normally the grades don't drop by more than one. A number of Foundation course places are offered to those whom fell short of the entry requirements for an undergraduate level engineering course, so they fill up quite fast.

In regards to Mechanical Engineering, if my memory serves; entry requirements dropped to BBC for our BEng course and ABB for our MEng course.*

However clearing grades are always subject to change and aren't guaranteed to mirror previous years.

Best of luck if you're expecting to enter clearing Steve. :smile:

Josh*

Thanks for the reply Josh, does that mean if i miss my conditional offer of BBB and get BBD or BCD I can do the foundation course? Or will I have to go through clearing?
Original post by f_p38
Hi, bit of an odd Q, but how many floors does the James Watt B1 building have?
Just wondering if i'm on the top floor (i've been allocated floor 17)

Hi, I was going through the thread and came across this question .I have been allocated a room on the same floor and in the same building . Had the exact question ever since I got my offer and finally, I might have found one of my flatmates !
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 736
Original post by sleshakc
Hi, I was going through the thread and came across this question .I have been allocated a room on the same floor and in the same building . Had the exact question ever since I got my offer and finally, I might have found one of my flatmates !

omg! imma PM you
Thanks for the reply Josh, does that mean if i miss my conditional offer of BBB and get BBD or BCD I can do the foundation course? Or will I have to go through clearing?

Hi,

Unfortunately i can't make any guarantees on TSR as i'm not a member of admissions staff and there are too many variables in play.

What i can say though is that historically, students whom have missed their grades for a firm choice course are offered places on a number of relevant foundation courses.**

Josh*
Hi,

Unfortunately i can't make any guarantees on TSR as i'm not a member of admissions staff and there are too many variables in play.

What i can say though is that historically, students whom have missed their grades for a firm choice course are offered places on a number of relevant foundation courses.**

Josh*

Hi Josh I have one more question, you had said firm choice courses, does that mean if it was my insurance I would not have a chance of being offered one, or just a lower chance?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Josh I have one more question, you had said firm choice courses, does that mean if it was my insurance I would not have a chance of being offered one, or just a lower chance?

You technically have a lower chance for the fact that you might end up achieving your grades for your firm choice or us, if we are your insurance.

We usually contact a number of students in a certain grade criteria, whom have just missed out. But don't count on a call, clearing is manic and entry requirements fluctuate during the day so if you see your grades match up with the course entry requirement on our clearing listing, give us a call on 0121 204 4444.

Josh*

Quick Reply

Latest