The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Thanks a lot fivebyfive, looks like my email address has been updated, so London here I come.

Good luck everyone
Reply 81
Original post by the curious panda
Through to the AC - I'll be attending the information centre in London as well. Strangely, I can't seem to book any any assessment centres. There aren't any available slots.

Hi all - new to tsr...first post :smile:

I had this problem too - I called them this morning and they advised they were scheduling more ACs and to keep checking the system. I checked again today and there were 6 new slots available (Birmingham or London) along with a message that advised to book them ASAP as a place on the AC is not guaranteed (!!!!). So get in there quick!

I booked London 5th April - anyone else booked there?
Original post by alidotcodotuk
Hi all :smile:

I'm new to the student room and I've been following everyone's threads regarding ngdp. I've also got through to the information/assessment centre stage and will be attending next Tuesday in Leeds then Tues 22nd March in Birmingham. It's been a nightmare organising time off at such short notice as I'm not a student anymore. It's a bit worrying that everything seems so rushed and unorganised - in my line of work it's not always easy to get time off at the drop of a hat. However, I feel sorry for those of you who are unable to attend the information session due to the short notice - it doesn't seem very fair!

Ali sounds like were in the same situation! Was a nightmare getting tomorrow off with only a days notice, what time are u getting in at leeds station?
Is anyone else attending leeds info session tomorrow?I'l be the one at the station looking nervous!

Also is anyone going to the AC at London on 17th March, its all very quick, would prefer more time to prepare! I wonder how many people get through to AC's

Any ideas??!
Reply 83
Hi There,

I'm also attending the Leeds information session tomorrow. I'm really glad it's only an informal get together, but I'm still unsure how they define 'informal.' Does it mean jeans and smart jumper or something smarter? I have no idea.

Anyway, I'm driving down as I have to get back to work afterwards.

From what I can make out about 25% get through each stage, but I'm not sure how accurate that figure is.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow goes Ok.

- Jonathan.
Original post by Jonathan87
Hi There,

I'm also attending the Leeds information session tomorrow. I'm really glad it's only an informal get together, but I'm still unsure how they define 'informal.' Does it mean jeans and smart jumper or something smarter? I have no idea.

Anyway, I'm driving down as I have to get back to work afterwards.

From what I can make out about 25% get through each stage, but I'm not sure how accurate that figure is.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow goes Ok.

- Jonathan.

Hi Jonathan,

Glad to hear someone else is coming to leeds! I'm getting the train and unfortunately the earliest train I can get to leeds doesn't arrive till 8.55! Panicking slightly but if it's informal surely being 10mins later wont be frowned upon?!
I'm wearing jeans and a shirt n jumper I asked the woman when I called about the website.

Maybe I'l bump into u tomorrow:smile:
Reply 85
I'm sure being a little late will be fine -- I would wave when you walked in, but that would probably be frowned upon! :wink: They have to accept that trains, etc don't always run to schedule.

I will probably get lost driving there anyway . . . knowing my navigational skills I'll find myself in Wales.

- Jonathan.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by HelenSarah23
Ali sounds like were in the same situation! Was a nightmare getting tomorrow off with only a days notice, what time are u getting in at leeds station?
Is anyone else attending leeds info session tomorrow?I'l be the one at the station looking nervous!

Also is anyone going to the AC at London on 17th March, its all very quick, would prefer more time to prepare! I wonder how many people get through to AC's

Any ideas??!

I thought it states in the e-mail that you can't really prepare apart from getting to terms with local government?
Sorry I didn't get back to you HelenSarah23 - I've not had chance to get back on here since my last post. I hope you made it to the information session on time - I didn't! I was the one walking in a few mins late and sitting on my own - V. embarrassing! I thought it was a good day though and I found it useful to talk to present ngdp trainees. I'm looking forward to the assessment day but nervous at the same time!! Is anyone else attending Birmingham on the 22nd?
- Ali
Original post by HelenSarah23

Any ideas??!

Hi, from the information session materials they gave out, they said that only 10% of applicants get to the AC stage. And, on average, 50% pass the AC. However, this doesn't mean all those who pass the AC get a spot at a local authority. :smile:
Hi everyone!

Thought I'd stop lurking and actually post! I'm going to the 5th April AC in London, anyone else?

I couldn't get to one of the information days, so thanks to everyone so far for sharing the info they picked up. I'm gutted I didn't get the chance to go to one myself though, I'd have really liked to have grilled some of the current ngdps... I'm very happy about the percentages... quite promising that around 1/2 get through the AC!!

Does anyone have any idea where is best to look for local govn. research pre-AC? I was told this website would be good but it seems you need to register... http://www.communities.idea.gov.uk/welcome.do
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi!

Just a quick question, does anyone know about how the recruitment "ranking" works? The people who were invited to the AC on April 5,6,7 (like me) - is that because they scored lower on the interviews than those who were invited to "First round" AC (e.g. 17 March)?

Just wondering, many thanks!!
hi all,

@ngdp_applicant- I doubt they use such a ranking system. From what i have getehred, the structure of assement centres looks pretty on par with the timing of the telephone interview. For instance, once i got through to the a/c, I was given the available date of mid march, but due to me leaving my choice for a week, I had to opt for a later date.

Regarding the information centre, although I have heard various negatives about it, I thought the morning was excellent, and gave a positive picture about the applicatiopn process and also the scheme. I attended the London morning session, and arrived terribly late, but the NGDP officials couldnt have been more helpful in explaining the programme and its attributes to me.

Saying that, if anyone didnt attend, I wouldnt say you would have lost out that much-if at all. The main things i got from the day were how certain councils were more for the scheme than others-from what previous graduates had said. Furthermore, I found that speaking to graduates who are now on the scheme helped to identify the positives and negatives of the scheme, and the options for future progression within local government.

My assessment centre is in leeds on the last day of the month,

Regards,
M14_tangerine
Reply 92
Original post by alidotcodotuk
Sorry I didn't get back to you HelenSarah23 - I've not had chance to get back on here since my last post. I hope you made it to the information session on time - I didn't! I was the one walking in a few mins late and sitting on my own - V. embarrassing! I thought it was a good day though and I found it useful to talk to present ngdp trainees. I'm looking forward to the assessment day but nervous at the same time!! Is anyone else attending Birmingham on the 22nd?
- Ali

Hi I am attending 22nd AC in Birmingham :smile:
I'm attending the AC on the 24th in Birmingham! Hopefully I shall see some TSR users there.
Hi Catpink! Good to know that someone on here is going the same AC as me! What area are you interested in? I'm from Cheshire so hoping I get through and have a chance there.

How's everyone revising for the AC? It's hard to know where to start! :s-smilie:
Reply 95
Hi,

I'm on the NGDP currently. I guess many of you will have gone to one of the info centres and have already had a chance to speak to NMTs.

However, I remember trawling this forum last year looking for guidance. So, if you have any questions, shoot! :smile:

Chris
Reply 96
Hey,
I didn't actually get to an information session as they had already happened by the time I had the e-mail to say I was through to the assessment centre! I'm also going to Birmingham on 22nd :-) Is there anything I should know from the information centre? Chris, have you got any advice for the assesmment centre?
Thanks,
Suzy
Reply 97
Hi all - this would have been explained to you at the info centres, so I don't think this gives anyone an unfair advantage!:

Without giving the game away - for the AC you don't need an encyclopedic knowledge of LG, but make sure you have a broad understanding of the recent trends/challenges (so roll out Wiki/BBC news) - this will put you in the right frame of mind to approach the tasks.

Don't panic - some of the tasks are designed to put you under pressure (as you would expect). So if your being asked to do a lot, very quickly, you should summarise and think on your feet - I can't really be more specific without giving you 'the answer'.

Be prepared to explain how your work experience/life experiences demonstrate your potential to become a good manager/leader in LG.

Be aware that the NGDP is a generalist management programme for councils - what types of person are they looking for? (say potential generalist managers like: Project managers, Programme Managers, Visionary/Strategy people). Not to pidgeon hole you, the beauty of the scheme is that you can try all of these - but if the assessor can't easily see you fitting in any of these roles....

If you have time - get on another assessment centre, go to a mock one, practice interviews. You can actually learn to pass assessment centres! (can't emphasise this enough really - even if you don't get on the NGDP - lots of AC's are similar)

Hope this helps,

Chris
Hi Chris,

just a silly question: how long does the selection process actually take? I still haven't heard from them and my interview was mid Feb. I rang them again today and they said that it'd be next week "or so". I just can't stop thinking that they are just saying this to get rid of me... Do you know anything?

Cheers for your help in advance

Tina
Reply 99
Hi Tina,

If you mean the telephone interview - I really wouldn't want to speculate, sorry.

If your talking about the AC - they will probably wait until they have finished the last one before they start to get back to people. So if the timetable is similar to last year - you will hear early April.

Chris

Quick Reply

Latest