The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UKDOG
How many people start the first year under 18 at Scottish medical schools, or just Aberdeen, in general?

I wouldn't have a clue what the exact figure was, but it's a fair few.
Reply 81
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Personally I'd say if you're not going to be 18 by the start of term, wait until you are if you plan to go south. Whilst scottish freshers takes into account the fact that there are loads of underage people, english freshers doesn't do so to the same degree.

true :\
but the annoying thing is that i turn 18 like 2/3 months after :mad:
Original post by franynli
true :\
but the annoying thing is that i turn 18 like 2/3 months after :mad:

So either pick Scottish unis, or take a gap year. Or, decide that drinking during freshers does not make or break your uni social life...
To be fair I started my first degree at 16 and had no issue enjoying freshers :wink:
Original post by ChangedMyMind
To be fair I started my first degree at 16 and had no issue enjoying freshers :wink:

Degree at sixteen! That's crazy. At sixteen I was weeping over GCSE maths. :p:
Are there many non-alcoholy freshers stuff at Aberdeen, someone? I really want there to be things like paintballing/go ape etc. :teeth:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Are there many non-alcoholy freshers stuff at Aberdeen, someone? I really want there to be things like paintballing/go ape etc. :teeth:

In my year, Vue put on free films every night for freshers. The pleasure beach was also open, with fresher discount, and some other stuff I don't specifically recall.
In my year, Vue put on free films every night for freshers. The pleasure beach was also open, with fresher discount, and some other stuff I don't specifically recall.

That sounds really, really good. I didn't even realise there was a theme park in Aberdeen. :smile:
That sounds really, really good. I didn't even realise there was a theme park in Aberdeen. :smile:

Theme park is pushing it... There's some rides at the beach, log flumes, big ferris wheel, etc :tongue: We do have a ski slope though. And crazy golf. And the CU usually put on some decent non-drinking stuff; I seem to recall them doing sports events and stuff in the park.
Theme park is pushing it... There's some rides at the beach, log flumes, big ferris wheel, etc :tongue: We do have a ski slope though. And crazy golf. And the CU usually put on some decent non-drinking stuff; I seem to recall them doing sports events and stuff in the park.

It sounds so cute... fish and chips on the ferris wheel overlooking the sea. Seems to have loads of stuff on offer that I've never tried. I really hope I get an interview, Aberdeen sounds like it'd be good even just for a day out. :p:
It sounds so cute... fish and chips on the ferris wheel overlooking the sea. Seems to have loads of stuff on offer that I've never tried. I really hope I get an interview, Aberdeen sounds like it'd be good even just for a day out. :p:

:rofl: Fish and chips by the sea is pretty dangerous, unless you like dining with our mutant oversized seagulls. Yeh the variety of stuff to do there is pretty awesome - I still can't get over how you can ski, on real snow, in the UK, in spring!
Reply 91
How do Aberdeen decide who gets interviews? Am I right in thinking that they weight academics quite heavily? :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by KCosmo
How do Aberdeen decide who gets interviews? Am I right in thinking that they weight academics quite heavily? :smile:

Hazarding an informed guess, I'd say AS', predictions, reference, PS and UKCAT, in that order, though maybe switch the first two.
Reply 93
Original post by UKDOG
Hazarding an informed guess, I'd say AS', predictions, reference, PS and UKCAT, in that order, though maybe switch the first two.

You're probably right, although I keep the same order, just replace the AS with Highers :tongue:
Reply 94
Original post by KCosmo
You're probably right, although I keep the same order, just replace the AS with Highers :tongue:

you applying?
Original post by KCosmo

See here - they're very good at being clear on what they expect from applicants.
Reply 96
Hello!
I am only in year 12 at the moment but Aberdeen is one of my top choices to apply to next year.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they weight GCSE's?
My GCSE's are in my sig and I know they're low for med school before anyone mentions it.
Would it be worth entering myself for resits in Chemistry and Physics (and would it be allowed for me to count my resits)?
Original post by Alotties
Hello!
I am only in year 12 at the moment but Aberdeen is one of my top choices to apply to next year.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they weight GCSE's?
My GCSE's are in my sig and I know they're low for med school before anyone mentions it.
Would it be worth entering myself for resits in Chemistry and Physics (and would it be allowed for me to count my resits)?

Go back to page 4 of this thread regarding how GCSEs are weighted
Reply 98
Original post by UKDOG
you applying?

See here - they're very good at being clear on what they expect from applicants.

Thanks Becca-Sarah, they are indeed very clear! :tongue:

I'm applying if my UKCAT is too low for Glasgow. My only hesitation is that last year (my 6th year) I had to go into hospital for about a month and missed all of my exams. I've got all the doctor's notes etc. so that part is cool, but by the time I was back up and running all of the places for Advanced Higher Chemistry had been taken up at the only college that does it remotely near me, so I'm doing Higher Psychology instead (along with Advanced Higher Music and Higher Human Biology.) When I emailed the universities about doing psychology instead, all of the Scottish ones said it would make no difference, apart from Aberdeen who said that I would be marked lower for only doing one Advanced Higher :/

Otherwise my academic stuff is alright (eight 1's in standard grade and 5 A's in higher, and grade 8 bass (would that count?)) but if I can get a good UKCAT (last year I got 580 :O) then hopefully this won't matter! (I do like Aberdeen, I just want to have the best chance of getting in to medicine, especially after 4 rejections last year :tongue:)
Reply 99
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Go back to page 4 of this thread regarding how GCSEs are weighted

Thank you ever so much!
I should really read before I post :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest