The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ghost6
I agree, the Oxford application system is so much better than Cambridge's. Even the college I chose at the time of application got back to me very quickly. If it weren't because the Cambridge course is more suited to my career goals and interests, I would immediately take the Oxford offer and soon forget how painful the Cambridge application process is in comparison. I suspect Cambridge has lost some good students to Oxford and other top universities over the past years because of its irresponsiveness. It is hard to believe they have not realized this and tried to fix it by introducing earlier deadlines, cutting down the number of different offices applications have to go through, and requesting prompt action from the departments.

Agree, it is nerve wrecking++:s-smilie:
I got to wait until March
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Has anyone who applied by the November deadline heard from the Medieval and Modern Languages Department (especially from the Mst in Women's Studies) ? I read that a few people got waitlisted last week but I haven't received a single email from them in the last month! I really dont know what to make of it, is this a good/bad sign?
Reply 902
Original post by gabriel_HKI
Has anyone who applied by the November deadline heard from the Medieval and Modern Languages Department (especially from the Mst in Women's Studies) ? I read that a few people got waitlisted last week but I haven't received a single email from them in the last month! I really dont know what to make of it, is this a good/bad sign?

Hi - I don't know very much about this year's WS applications, but I believe in previous years applicants were informed by snail mail? As the course has 3 gathered fields, it often happens that some candidates are put 'on hold' to be assessed with the next cohort.

You could I suppose ring or email Stephen Lay to find out? All the best with the application :smile:.
Original post by cyberpoet
Hi - I don't know very much about this year's WS applications, but I believe in previous years applicants were informed by snail mail? As the course has 3 gathered fields, it often happens that some candidates are put 'on hold' to be assessed with the next cohort.

You could I suppose ring or email Stephen Lay to find out? All the best with the application :smile:.

But let say, if I was set aside to be assessed with the next cohort wouldn't I be informed at some point by email? Isnt it just standard procedure?
Reply 904
Original post by ajbg
Hi, I'm new here, but it would seem that this is the place to get some unofficial news...

Did anyone else apply to the Structural Biology PhD program? :s-smilie: The interviews were last week (on wednesday) and I'm going mad waiting for THE email! Has anyone heard from those guys yet? :confused: Do they usually send offers and rejections at the same time?

Thanks!

Hi ajbg, I'm also applying for Life Sciences PhD program (computational biology, but at the Department of Zoology).

I'm freaking out about my application + possible interview... Would you kindly share your interview experience please? Were you asked mostly about your own research experience and proposal or about general concepts in Biology?

Thank you so much, I would really appreciate your advice!
Reply 905
Original post by ajbg
Hi, I'm new here, but it would seem that this is the place to get some unofficial news...

Did anyone else apply to the Structural Biology PhD program? :s-smilie: The interviews were last week (on wednesday) and I'm going mad waiting for THE email! Has anyone heard from those guys yet? :confused: Do they usually send offers and rejections at the same time?

Thanks!

Why don't you email the secretary who organised your interview? She/he'll probably have a good idea of when you should expect a reply.
Reply 906
Original post by ajbg

Thanks!

Don know about your department much. But from my experience and some others, i saw they inform individually.
waiting?? i think that is common for all. don worry much (or try not to) At my interview they told me that i would be informed of the outcome with in a week!! and after a week when i were going mad, i mailed admin stuff in the department (who so far contacted me for interview and other details). And took her TWO WEEKS to reply me the unofficial outcome through email.

So mail them and try to keep yourself calm. That seems to be the best virtue :smile:
When can the January deadline people expect to hear whether or not they have an interview?
Original post by TheRandomer
When can the January deadline people expect to hear whether or not they have an interview?

not all departments interview. Mine for example does not (thank god!)
Original post by Xristina

Aw lucky! I went to an open day for astrophysics though and got told they pick out the top 50% of applicants and interview them to narrow it down further :frown:
I just hope I make it to interview!
Reply 910

I also received an offer without being interviewed. It seems PhD candidates are more frequently interviewed, perhaps to test potential supervisor-student relationships, whereas many masters students are not interviewed. The masters programs for which there is an interview seem to be the most professionally oriented ones where academics alone are not sufficient to assess the fitness of the candidate and the admission committees look for more than applications that are brilliant on paper.
Original post by Ghost6
I also received an offer without being interviewed. It seems PhD candidates are more frequently interviewed, perhaps to test potential supervisor-student relationships, whereas many masters students are not interviewed. The masters programs for which there is an interview seem to be the most professionally oriented ones where academics alone are not sufficient to assess the fitness of the candidate and the admission committees look for more than applications that are brilliant on paper.

nah, my department doesn't interview for PhD either. But yeah, I realise it might be different for other departments.
I really wish mine didn't interview, but hey, maybe I'm more charming in person :wink:
Reply 913
Original post by Ghost6

ya, that is true for my department as well. They hardly do interview to the masers applicants. but for Phd applicants, the interview is mandatory.
Reply 914
Hey guys, anybody applying for Mjur studies :smile:?
Reply 915
anyone heard back for DPhil Engineering Science yet ?
Reply 916
Original post by kikkoman
anyone heard back for DPhil Engineering Science yet ?

which deadline ? January ?? I think a lot of people(November deadline) heard from the department on 19th Jan, though no idea about January deadline.
Reply 917
Original post by neuro11
which deadline ? January ?? I think a lot of people(November deadline) heard from the department on 19th Jan, though no idea about January deadline.

Ah okay. Both deadlines really. Might be too early yet for the January deadline. Was just wondering then if people from the November deadline have heard about scholarships.
the scholarships are all announced after everyone has applied, as all applicants will be considered together.
Reply 919
the scholarships are all announced after everyone has applied, as all applicants will be considered together.

Ah right. Although, to quote from the Department of Engineering's web-site

"However, studentships may be awarded earlier to applicants who already hold a first-class degree or its equivalent."

So could be earlier ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending