The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Unite, iq, ziggurat, fresh student living, etc - are all a rip off. If paying a fortune for private halls is your kind of thing, then sure, do it.

Thanks for you reply. What would you suggest for a postgraduate student ?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by olympus123456
Thanks for you reply. What would you suggest for a postgraduate student ?

Find some people and share an ordinary flat with them. Much, much cheaper. If you've left Pollock then you probably won't much like any other halls of residence either.
What's it like sharing a room, and having a twin/bunk room? Just been doing some research and it seems significantly cheaper if you share. At Chancellor's Court you would make a saving of nearly £2500. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of sharing.
Hey thar! :h:

I was wondering if you knew how likely it is that you'll receive your first, second or third choice of accommodation? And if I didn't get either of these three choices would the university try to put me in similar accommodation eg. similar price, similar type of room (small, single, shared, etc.), catered/self-catered, etc. ? Or would they just stick me anywhere? :laugh:

Many thanks! :grin:
I don't suppose anyone could shed some light on David Horn House and Kitchener House? Only I'm going to be at King's Buildings and out of all the threads and whatnot these seem to be the least mentioned and I think I want to put David Horn as my first choice.
Also would they be any good seeing as they are quite far away from the 'main area', so to speak, so does that mean its harder to get out and all that?
Reply 45
Original post by Carolinealine
I don't suppose anyone could shed some light on David Horn House and Kitchener House? Only I'm going to be at King's Buildings and out of all the threads and whatnot these seem to be the least mentioned and I think I want to put David Horn as my first choice.
Also would they be any good seeing as they are quite far away from the 'main area', so to speak, so does that mean its harder to get out and all that?

I was interested by those two, but after some research it seems it's a bad idea to be so far away from the main area and George's Square since the lectures take place there and there's is a free shuttle to King's Building... Plus they look very small, but I guess that's more subjective. It's too bad no current student is answering this thread :s-smilie:
Heelloo. Is anyone applying to Kincaid's Court? :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by RozeeColton
Heelloo. Is anyone applying to Kincaid's Court? :smile:

I am yes, it'll be my first choice!
Original post by Leyhena
I was interested by those two, but after some research it seems it's a bad idea to be so far away from the main area and George's Square since the lectures take place there and there's is a free shuttle to King's Building... Plus they look very small, but I guess that's more subjective. It's too bad no current student is answering this thread :s-smilie:

Yeah, I've been thinking along the same lines, but I am really tempted by the fact that I could just roll out of bed and go to my lectures in Kings :/ . . . I dont think they look too small on the photos, in fact David Horn's rooms look the biggest too me but Im not too bothered by room size. More location for me . . . Where are you thinking of then??
Reply 49
Yeah, I've been thinking along the same lines, but I am really tempted by the fact that I could just roll out of bed and go to my lectures in Kings :/ . . . I dont think they look too small on the photos, in fact David Horn's rooms look the biggest too me but Im not too bothered by room size. More location for me . . . Where are you thinking of then??

By small I was thinking not a lot of people, there's only 33 rooms max... It sounds less "studentish" than the others big accomodations. I personally fell in love with Robertson's Close, it's going to be my first choice if I (hopefully) get an offer :colondollar: I don't know about the others, maybe Kincaids or Darroch, they both seem nice.

Original post by Leyhena

Firstly, you asked your questions less than 24 hours ago. People will reply to you but you have to give them time, we're not online constantly!

Anyway, I'd be inclined to say that being in the central area/main accommodation area is better even if you are at KB for classes. Have you checked that you actually will be in KB as a first year? A lot of science courses have their first year classes in/around George Square then move for the later years. Even if you are in KB, being close to George Square/central Edinburgh will be better in terms of going out/going to societies/being part of the university beyond your actual studies. Yes, there is a shuttle bus during the day but this doesn't operate at night or the weekend and whilst there are public buses, you might find that you restrict your going out or joining societies if you'll have to travel home alone afterwards whereas if you lived in the central area you can walk home easily. One of the things I loved about living in Edinburgh was that everything is on your doorstep so you can walk around everywhere, even after going out to a club at night, you don't have to wait for friends to share taxis etc with if you want to go home as you're close enough that you can just walk home alone and it feels safe. If you have to go down to KB you might find you end up either not going out, going home early or paying loads for taxis as no one will be going the same way as you. Obviously if you went out with your flatmates then that would be fine, but if you went out with others from your course/socities/elsewhere, it would be unlikely that they'd live at David Horn/Kitchener.

When I was in first year I recall knowing 1 girl who lived in DH/K house and she didn't like being so far away. She hadn't chosen to live there and was doing an arts subject, but got put there anyway. She said that there were a lot of international students who wanted to focus only on their studies, so they weren't too fussed about the location (not that this is an issue if you do want to do this, more that this sort of set up isn't for everyone) so she really struggled living there because she felt it was out of the way and not ideal for maintaining a social life with others outside of your accommodation.

Original post by buddhacoffee
Hey thar! :h:

I was wondering if you knew how likely it is that you'll receive your first, second or third choice of accommodation? And if I didn't get either of these three choices would the university try to put me in similar accommodation eg. similar price, similar type of room (small, single, shared, etc.), catered/self-catered, etc. ? Or would they just stick me anywhere? :laugh:

Many thanks! :grin:

From the last few years, you will be placed where ever. Your choices don't really mean anything - some people get their first choice, some people don't. Some people don't get their first choice and then someone else who didn't want to live in that place gets a room there instead. It's random, basically and some people end up applying for small, s/c rooms then are offered a large catered room with an en suite in Pollock and vice versa.
Original post by oxymoronic
x

Thanks you've basically confirmed my choices then :smile: I really liked the rooms at DH and that's what made me think of it but my friends reminded that it's only a room and location would be better :smile: so I reckon I might go for Sciennes now, but as you say I doubt I will get my first choice, thanks for all the advice though!! :smile:
Original post by Leyhena
By small I was thinking not a lot of people, there's only 33 rooms max... It sounds less "studentish" than the others big accomodations. I personally fell in love with Robertson's Close, it's going to be my first choice if I (hopefully) get an offer :colondollar: I don't know about the others, maybe Kincaids or Darroch, they both seem nice.

Oo that kind of small, hmm tbh that thought never even crossed my mind but now you mention it only having 33 people . . . :/ maybe not :smile:
Robertson Close does look really nice, if I wasn't going to be KB most of the time I would so go for that one :L I'm well jealous; but I'm a lazy thing so being far away is not good for me, so Sciennes it is! :smile: good luck with it though, I hope you get what you want :smile:
Original post by oxymoronic

From the last few years, you will be placed where ever. Your choices don't really mean anything - some people get their first choice, some people don't. Some people don't get their first choice and then someone else who didn't want to live in that place gets a room there instead. It's random, basically and some people end up applying for small, s/c rooms then are offered a large catered room with an en suite in Pollock and vice versa.

Whaaaaa ~ ?! That's awful! I can't believe it's just random! There's no way I could afford a large catered room with an en suite if I was offered one! :shock: Surely this means that tonnes of people would be unhappy with their accommodation, amirite? I mean, if it's all random and there's a 3 in over 50 (1 in 16) chance you'd get one of your choices then isn't it quite unlikely that you'll actually get what you want? :frown:
Reply 54
Whaaaaa ~ ?! That's awful! I can't believe it's just random! There's no way I could afford a large catered room with an en suite if I was offered one! :shock: Surely this means that tonnes of people would be unhappy with their accommodation, amirite? I mean, if it's all random and there's a 3 in over 50 (1 in 16) chance you'd get one of your choices then isn't it quite unlikely that you'll actually get what you want? :frown:

Me neither! :frown:
Original post by Gales
Me neither! :frown:

I know, right?! *megasadness* :frown:
Reply 56
I know, right?! *megasadness* :frown:

If it's totally random, I'm sure you could find someone who'd want your accommodation and you could swap, right? That'd be my plan!
Reply 57
I think (hope) if you called them and asked to change you're accommodation offer they will, if you have a valid reason like not being able to afford it
Original post by Gales
If it's totally random, I'm sure you could find someone who'd want your accommodation and you could swap, right? That'd be my plan!

Ooh, true 'dat! :yes: Might be difficult trying to find people to swap with, but I guess it's possible! Could give it a try if I get a really expensive room - good idea! :biggrin:

Original post by gpostleth
I think (hope) if you called them and asked to change you're accommodation offer they will, if you have a valid reason like not being able to afford it

Oh, I sure do hope so! :redface: I'll see what happens; hopefully I'll get a cheap-enough room! :wink:
~ Thanks! :smile:
Original post by gpostleth

I'm afraid not being able to afford it doesn't count as a valid reason for a change. Current policy is only that you are guaranteed accommodation - there's no qualification that says it has to be what you want or like, or what you can afford. This is likely to change in future, as the new Rector seems to have made accommodation his priority, but for now it remains as it always has been.

Quick Reply