The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5720
Original post by Maid.Marian
I've had one, it's 5 30 'til 9 00 Thurs. I think each department (staging, casting, props etc) is getting to things slightly differently but that is the meeting for all of us.

Hello. My last post was ages ago after being placed on reserves and since then I've had paralympic audition (which I have still not heard back ho hum) but have now accepted a role with Staging. I haven't had the email detailing Thurs evening yet. Just wondering if we need to get there at the exact time? As it's kind of last minute with work. So I will probably be late getting there. Does it mention anything in the email? Thanks!
Original post by Dancerwoman
4. pictures / drawings of the costumes we'll be wearing (wouldn't be surprised if there are several different costumes within the same segment, depending on where and what we'll be doing.

5. a demo of the choreo we'd be doing

7. several "run throughs" of our dance / performance choreo (probably in stages)

I think that a lot of what you wrote is probably right but I've pulled out the above.

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get that much detail on costumes and on all the choreo in the first few rehearsals. I suspect that you'll get lots of little segments (perhaps not even in consecutive order) so that it's hard for anyone to envisage the whole segment until much closer to July. They won't want to give much away until everyone is really emotionally invested in it - otherwise, it's too easy for someone less committed to show up to the first couple of rehearsals and then ruin the surprise.

Suspect there may be a further costume measurement now that casting know exactly what you are doing.

Obviously, we have no idea how big the segments are - but even if they're a just a couple of hundred, I suspect that in rehearsal 1, the bureaucracy of sorting out everyone's credentials, Oyster cards, measurements, details and the basics of what you're doing mean that it's unlikely you'll actually get much actual dancing in.

How exciting though that we're actually getting close to the first rehearsal dates - makes the whole thing feel much more real... even if mine don't start for another couple of months!
Original post by Flakeydom
I think that a lot of what you wrote is probably right but I've pulled out the above.

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get that much detail on costumes and on all the choreo in the first few rehearsals. I suspect that you'll get lots of little segments (perhaps not even in consecutive order) so that it's hard for anyone to envisage the whole segment until much closer to July. They won't want to give much away until everyone is really emotionally invested in it - otherwise, it's too easy for someone less committed to show up to the first couple of rehearsals and then ruin the surprise.

Suspect there may be a further costume measurement now that casting know exactly what you are doing.

Obviously, we have no idea how big the segments are - but even if they're a just a couple of hundred, I suspect that in rehearsal 1, the bureaucracy of sorting out everyone's credentials, Oyster cards, measurements, details and the basics of what you're doing mean that it's unlikely you'll actually get much actual dancing in.

How exciting though that we're actually getting close to the first rehearsal dates - makes the whole thing feel much more real... even if mine don't start for another couple of months!

I think the "crudentials" are the CRB checks which I THINK they probably did before they offered the roles. I could be wrong.

Yes you could be right about the dance rehearsal side of things. They know that there will probably be a "drop out" rate (cue: reserves), So, yes, you could be right there in relation to the first couple of rehearsals.

However, I still think that they'll get us to sign a further contract along the lines of sharing things on websites such as FB and Twitter though.
Original post by Dancerwoman
I think the "crudentials" are the CRB checks which I THINK they probably did before they offered the roles. I could be wrong.

I was thinking more about about collecting an ID/security badge from them for you to access future rehearsals without carrying around passports etc.

I agree that the confidentiality bit will be emphasised in every medium
Does anyone know when the earliest rehearsal is? Is it this week? It's getting a bit more real now!
Reply 5725
Good morning all,

Am I right in thinking that several of those who had February auditions and recalls have yet to hear? I was in one of the very last Olympic (not Paralympic) auditions, and received the holding email a couple of weeks ago, but silence (before and) since then.

I've been itching to post that I've received an email with an offer when in Africa/Asia/Europe/even at 36,000' on an A380, but not had a chance to yet!
Only about a third of Olympic auditionees and no Para auditionees have heard yet so you are in good company.
Original post by Mandy_Panda
Does anyone know when the earliest rehearsal is? Is it this week? It's getting a bit more real now!

I think some of segment 49 start on 14th April?? with segment 47 starting next week and segment 44 on May 1 st onwards.
Reply 5728
Original post by Mum of Students
Cello008, Lara5, Fyrecracker, Galactica, Cinnamon ..... thinking of you during this impossible wait - anyone thought of 'phoning?

Thanks Mum of Students! The waiting is definitely getting to me! Every time I get an email related to "London 2012" my heart skips a beat! Only to be disappointed after realising it's just an email from their online shop! :frown: But I have a feeling that this week will be the week! Surely they can't keep us waiting much longer?!
I have my first rehearsal this Saturday 2-7. I am in group 49C, anyone else in this group too?
Reply 5730
I couldn't resist calling - still spinning the same line about 'two weeks'. Bless 'em, you have to have sympathy when they're dealing with thousands of castings.
Original post by charleyodell
I have my first rehearsal this Saturday 2-7. I am in group 49C, anyone else in this group too?

I have my first rehearsal on Saturday at that time too. I am in group 49D.

x
I emailed them yesterday and just got a reply (the same email 4 times!) to say I have been selected as an understudy for a 'Dance role in spectacular ceremony sequence'. Rehearsals start this Saturday am, group 49B.
A bit of a kick in the teeth, although glad I was recognised for my dancing rather than 'acting' skills. Now to decide if I should go to all rehearsals knowing I may still not get to perform - is anyone else in the same boat?
Good luck to all those who haven't heard!
Original post by Flakeydom

I would be VERY surprised indeed if the casting team "spilled the beans" in too much detail as to precisely what each of you will/may be doing THIS EARLY in the rehearsal schedule.

I suspect instead that what might actually happen in reality is that the first few rehearsals may very closely resemble the format of the auditions with everyone participating in all "activities" and "routines" as a group (which they casting team will be taking notes from as to who is best suited where etc. for later use in the final casting about 2 weeks before the first dress rehearsal). Everyone will basically learn EVERYTHING routine wise planned for that particular segment though not necessarily in strict order or in relation to where those bits fit in to the bigger picture. This will then allow changes to the line-up be made, reserves to be slotted in where required more easily.

Whatever costumes are required will be a task for another day and separately - who knows maybe some of the 20+ "rehearsals" timetabled for some of you will be time set aside to deal specifically with admin. and costume matters with no dancing, acting, drumming content whatsoever. They will only invest time, money and energy into sorting out final costumes once they've made their final creative decisions, changes etc. and got a real feel for the level of ability, stamina and, dare I say, commitment from certain quarters of the performer volunteer cast. No point otherwise maybe!

We are a long way out from the "point of no return" casting wise yet I fear !

Enjoy the ride meantime folks. <LOL>
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5734
Original post by davidtaylorfc
I emailed them yesterday and just got a reply (the same email 4 times!) to say I have been selected as an understudy for a 'Dance role in spectacular ceremony sequence'. Rehearsals start this Saturday am, group 49B.
A bit of a kick in the teeth, although glad I was recognised for my dancing rather than 'acting' skills. Now to decide if I should go to all rehearsals knowing I may still not get to perform - is anyone else in the same boat?

David,

I say congratulations rather than commiserations - I think you're the first who's been classed as an 'understudy'. When did you audition, and did they tell you any more about what this involves?

I'd imagine that with the likely rate of dropouts, you'd still have a good chance of appearing in the opening ceremony, especially if they recognise your acting skills!

Wow that is another twist. I don't think we have had any understudies before although it makes sense. Judging by the injuries that have befallen our little band it would not be be surprising if there were some (other) people who regrettably had to withdraw some point or could not make rehearsals for some other reason ( but hopefully no-one from this forum!). I would go for it if the rehearsals are not too inconvenient because in any case am sure the rehearsals would be great fun. I wonder what would have happened though if you had not emailed them?
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks Concord.

I auditioned in mid February. They have sent me the full itenary and rehearsal date schedule as if I had been selected as a definite performer. The email mentions there will be very few understudies so I guess I will be in between the performers and the reserves maybe?
Now I have the confirmation the reality of how much effort is required has hit home! It's going to be quite hard to make my excuses and sneak off from upcoming stag dos on a Satuday morning to go to dance rehearsals I fear!!
Pinnerite, that's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it was a test and the people who email them get selected for showing that bit of extra initiative/desire?! Get bombarding them with emails guys!
Thanks Concord.

I auditioned in mid February. They have sent me the full itenary and rehearsal date schedule as if I had been selected as a definite performer. The email mentions there will be very few understudies so I guess I will be in between the performers and the reserves maybe?
Now I have the confirmation the reality of how much effort is required has hit home! It's going to be quite hard to make my excuses and sneak off from upcoming stag dos on a Satuday morning to go to dance rehearsals I fear!!

congratulations! understudy is very positive. My moneys on you ending up deffo being in the show.
I've now sent off an email to find out about my status. Fingers crossed, but to be honest I've got to the stage now I'd be happy to know either way!

Latest