The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davidtaylorfc
I emailed them yesterday and just got a reply (the same email 4 times!) to say I have been selected as an understudy for a 'Dance role in spectacular ceremony sequence'. Rehearsals start this Saturday am, group 49B.
A bit of a kick in the teeth, although glad I was recognised for my dancing rather than 'acting' skills. Now to decide if I should go to all rehearsals knowing I may still not get to perform - is anyone else in the same boat?
Good luck to all those who haven't heard!

There are bound to be people that drop out. And as understudy dancing at the actual rehearsals you have a golden opportunity of proving to casting that you're just as good or better than the people that actually got an offer. If they spot that you're good I'm sure they'll find a place for you, and it doesn't hurt being a man. So wear something bright and pull out your best moves!
Original post by *Showgirl*
I have my first rehearsal on Saturday at that time too. I am in group 49D.

x

Original post by charleyodell
I have my first rehearsal this Saturday 2-7. I am in group 49C, anyone else in this group too?

My first rehearsal is this Sunday, I'm in 49G. I suspect once we know the routine, all the 49-ers will be coming together in the later rehearsals.
Thanks Concord.

I auditioned in mid February. They have sent me the full itenary and rehearsal date schedule as if I had been selected as a definite performer. The email mentions there will be very few understudies so I guess I will be in between the performers and the reserves maybe?
Now I have the confirmation the reality of how much effort is required has hit home! It's going to be quite hard to make my excuses and sneak off from upcoming stag dos on a Satuday morning to go to dance rehearsals I fear!!

I reckon there's an extremely high possibility that you'll end up performing in the Ceremonies so being an "Understudy" is not something to be sniffed at. I'd say embrace this opportunity and give it your best shot.
Reply 5744
Oooh Understudy emails!!!! Congrats. In the Canadian Olympics (there were some posts to a blog from a performer earlier in this massive thread) there was some key roles such as the person who skateboarded or something to light the flame. They had 3 understudies prepared and 1 was ill and the others flipped a coin I believe on the night as to who would do it. People may bottle it on the night too I guess so for absolute key roles they must need a few perfectly trained people ready on the night but only for key roles. How exciting!!!!

My first rehearsal avec Mandypanda is next Weds. Can't wait. Haven't found many with as many rehearsals as we seem to have. Either it is very very celebratory and spectacular --- or they think we'll take much much longer to grasp our moves! Anyway I watch the 'love on top' video to get in the mood and it has lots of our early audition dance in it. Got me all goose bumpy :-)
Original post by Ropey1
Oooh Understudy emails!!!! Congrats. In the Canadian Olympics (there were some posts to a blog from a performer earlier in this massive thread) there was some key roles such as the person who skateboarded or something to light the flame. They had 3 understudies prepared and 1 was ill and the others flipped a coin I believe on the night as to who would do it. People may bottle it on the night too I guess so for absolute key roles they must need a few perfectly trained people ready on the night but only for key roles. How exciting!!!!

My first rehearsal avec Mandypanda is next Weds. Can't wait. Haven't found many with as many rehearsals as we seem to have. Either it is very very celebratory and spectacular --- or they think we'll take much much longer to grasp our moves! Anyway I watch the 'love on top' video to get in the mood and it has lots of our early audition dance in it. Got me all goose bumpy :-)

I'm pretty damn excited
I emailed them yesterday and just got a reply (the same email 4 times!) to say I have been selected as an understudy for a 'Dance role in spectacular ceremony sequence'. Rehearsals start this Saturday am, group 49B.
A bit of a kick in the teeth, although glad I was recognised for my dancing rather than 'acting' skills. Now to decide if I should go to all rehearsals knowing I may still not get to perform - is anyone else in the same boat?
Good luck to all those who haven't heard!

Well as some of the PROFESSIONAL actors & dancers will be paid a mere £600 for their time and efforts (see link below) I think, on balance, it is good news (for you at least if you can accommodate their rather short notice rehearsal schedule starting THIS weekend) but, from reading your post it seems as if you may have been advised about the possible dates required previously (unlike us DESERVES/RESERVES) so this should not be a problem for you if you have already set that time aside to do it. Go for it and enjoy I say ............... and congratulations too btw - a result of sorts I guess !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9189074/Danny-Boyles-budget-is-stretched-by-minimum-600-pay-for-every-Olympic-artiste.html
(edited 12 years ago)
It kind of baffles me in relation to the scale of pay in relation to this.

You'll have well known artists performing for £1 yet it looks as if (thanks to Equity) that "professional performers" will be paid £600. Personally if artists (rumours speculating so far being Paul McCartney, the Spice Girls and possibly the Clash) are agreeable to being paid £1 for their time, then wouldn't it be just to have the Professional Dancers / actors paid the same fee?

Considering the vast number of "volunteers" that auditioned to take part. Many of the volunteers coming from different backgrounds. Many may have performed many years in dance companies or performed in theatre. However, just because they're not with Equity, are they seen less favourably.

There's probably many dancers / actors who auditioned but just because they are not registered as "professional" in Equity's eyes, they will not be paid to take part but are happy to take part because this is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity.

I am sure there are going to be many "volunteers" when given the opportunity would dance / act better than some of their "professional" counter-parts and any "volunteers" performing in the same group as "the professionals" should feel proud that their performance "made the grade".

It's just a shame that Equity could not exercise the same kind of spirit as the more established artists who are prepared to perform for a much lesser fee.
Got a rather generic response to my email re: whether all the olympic drumming volunteers had been cast...

"Thanks for your email. We are still making final decisions to do with the casting. Some results emails have been sent out already and others are in the process. We thank you for your patience and we will be in touch soon."

Not sure how much longer I can keep my diary free! :eek:
Original post by studiosonic
Got a rather generic response to my email re: whether all the olympic drumming volunteers had been cast...

"Thanks for your email. We are still making final decisions to do with the casting. Some results emails have been sent out already and others are in the process. We thank you for your patience and we will be in touch soon."

Not sure how much longer I can keep my diary free! :eek:

I reckon the emails will slowly be trickling out. Best to find out from the drummers as to when their auditions start, then you can perhaps follow it up with a phone call.
Reply 5750
Original post by Dancerwoman
It kind of baffles me in relation to the scale of pay in relation to this.

You'll have well known artists performing for £1 yet it looks as if (thanks to Equity) that "professional performers" will be paid £600.

I imagine the rationale is something like this (and I'm not saying that I agree or disagree):

'We need some professional dancers for key parts of our ceremonies - you know, the ones that will appear close-up on telly with complicated bits to perform.'

'Now, those professional dancers will have to make a choice between 'working' for the Ceremonies or 'working' in some other paying role e.g. on stage.' (I have no idea how competitive this world is, but I imagine it's quite hard to find a job, so this is a big assumption.)

'So we'll have to agree to pay what Equity negotiated with us.'

'On the other hand most of the famous recording artists performing in the closing ceremony are happy to do it for free, and will only lose a night or two when they might have been making money elsewhere. So they'll accept the token quid.'

'As for the mass of volunteers, we'll have more applicants that we need so (i) we don't need to pay them and (ii) it's in the spirit of the Games.'

It's probably a result of having to pay wages for those engaged on a professional basis... which we shouldn't begrudge them. This is all just unqualified speculation.
Reply 5751
Looks like we have a new column for the epic spreadsheet-"understudy". I agree with you that's it's between performer and reserve, bit late to tell you given rehearsals start so soon.
Original post by Flakeydom
I was thinking more about about collecting an ID/security badge from them for you to access future rehearsals without carrying around passports etc.

I agree that the confidentiality bit will be emphasised in every medium

I think so tooo. Cause LOCOG had a deadline to submit details of volunteer performers/auditionees to UKBA by 15th March for Credentials purposes. Since it is a global international event, CRB checks will be done at a very higher sensitive level to find out if performers has had any terrorism activities involved.

Have a feeling that we shall be given our lanyard ID that would be given during rehearsals or later date of rehearsals through Accreditation Team.
Original post by galactica2009
I think so tooo. Cause LOCOG had a deadline to submit details of volunteer performers/auditionees to UKBA by 15th March for Credentials purposes. Since it is a global international event, CRB checks will be done at a very higher sensitive level to find out if performers has had any terrorism activities involved.

Have a feeling that we shall be given our lanyard ID that would be given during rehearsals or later date of rehearsals through Accreditation Team.

You could be right there - I reckon the lanyards will be handed out on the first night of rehearsals. At least it would speed up the signing in process at each rehearsal.
Original post by 42RAFIKI
Looks like we have a new column for the epic spreadsheet-"understudy". I agree with you that's it's between performer and reserve, bit late to tell you given rehearsals start so soon.

Argh - how to note it!!!! Hmmm, have put it in as 49B US for the moment. If we end up with lots more, I'll consider a new column especially!

Agree with those who are suggesting that it's more positive than a reserve - since at least you've been invited to the rehearsals. It is looking more and more likely that the reserves are a subtle way of saying no but leaving their options open. I really do hope that it's not the case and that at least some are promoted soon though!
Reply 5755
Just spent the last few hours catching up on this thread...wow a lot has happened! I have been in Rio for the last 2 weeks, so the Olympics seemed to follow me :biggrin: Plus I now have some samba drumming skills, so I hope there is samba in the Rio handover!

I am very jealous of you who all met last week, sounds like you had a lot of fun!!! I just wish I lived a little closer to London so I could meet you all. I guess I'll have to wait til the rehearsals before I put names to faces! Booking my train/coach tickets already - much cheaper!! Let's hope my rehearsal dates/times don't change!!!
Reply 5756
Original post by abs0n
Hello everyone!

I've been reading through this thread for a long time, but finally realised that I would never be able to read it all and thought that I should just jump in and say hello :wavey:

Congratulations to everyone who has been offered roles! I was originally in 51B, but was moved to 51A last week. Is there anyone else from this group that fancies saying hello? Would be lovely to chat to some people before all the rehearsals start. I'm so excited!

Hi! I am a fellow drummer, but in 51-B. How come you moved groups?
Hiya all! Ohhh- lots of activity today! Can I just ask which email address people are using to email regarding whether they've been offered a position or not? While I'm really looking forward to my first introduction tomorrow night for Props, it would be good for my peace of mind to hear how the audition to perform in Olympics/Paras went.... Thank you!
Original post by Ickle
Hello. My last post was ages ago after being placed on reserves and since then I've had paralympic audition (which I have still not heard back ho hum) but have now accepted a role with Staging. I haven't had the email detailing Thurs evening yet. Just wondering if we need to get there at the exact time? As it's kind of last minute with work. So I will probably be late getting there. Does it mention anything in the email? Thanks!

I think there was someone else volunteering with staging who also hadn't had the email about tomorrow night- I wonder if they are doing it in sections? But it really might be worth phoning tomorrow- I was put straight through to Props/Staging team when I rang one morning a few weeks ago. I know a few people have had emails lost / not received.... Oh, and its 5.30pm tomorrow- I reckon a few people may be late as its tricky to leave work on time for most!
Original post by lauski22
Just spent the last few hours catching up on this thread...wow a lot has happened! I have been in Rio for the last 2 weeks, so the Olympics seemed to follow me :biggrin: Plus I now have some samba drumming skills, so I hope there is samba in the Rio handover!

I am very jealous of you who all met last week, sounds like you had a lot of fun!!! I just wish I lived a little closer to London so I could meet you all. I guess I'll have to wait til the rehearsals before I put names to faces! Booking my train/coach tickets already - much cheaper!! Let's hope my rehearsal dates/times don't change!!!

I'm from a samba dance background but alas, I very much doubt that any of us in the London 2012 segment will get the opportunity to use our skills :frown: I even asked my Casting Co-Ordinator who confirmed this. There are many of us on here who are from Latin dance background but we have had to accept that we will not be given the opportunity to show off our dance skills in the genres we're used to. That privilege (samba drumming and dancing) will be given to Brasil when they do their 8 minutes segment during the London Olympic's closing ceremony.

I know many "sambistas" who expressed disappointment in not having the opportunity for British samba bands and dancers to be involved in the Olympics.

If you look at it this way, during the Beijing Olympics closing ceremony, there's bound to be volunteers who can dance Bossa Nova, Lindy Hop and even street dance, who had to stand back and watch whilst British dancers performed these dance styles during the closing ceremony.

I am 99.9% certain that anything samba-related during the ceremonies will be performed by the next Olympic hosts.

I've learned to accept that I'll never get the opportunity to dance in the genre that I'm strong in (samba) and instead embrace the experience.

Latest