The Student Room Group

Girls, can something as simple as a guy's haircut change whether you like him?

Yeah, basically there is this girl at my university who I have been doing some Spanish lessons with, and in return I help her improve her English, because I've always wanted to learn another language and obv. uni is a great opportunity for that.

It also happens to be that this girl is really hot as well. Even though I can't prove anything and nothing has happened between us I think there is a mutual attraction there as well.

When I first met this girl and for the first 3 weeks or so I was seeing her my hair was longer than I normally had it before. I have never actually had it long but it's just that normally I get it cut very short so for me it is.

Because this girl is Spanish it is in her culture that you hug a boy and let him kiss you on both cheeks as a greeting. I noticed however, that when I got a haircut and my hair was really short the next time I saw her she didn't do anything but say hi.

This was a recurring pattern I noticed and I'd never been rude or said anything wrong to her so I figured it could have only been this. I asked my friend and he said its because most guys in Spain don't get their hair really short like I do (I get basically a buzz cut but just with more hair on the top) and so it's not in their culture.

So girls, I'm interested, would whether a boy gets his hair cut long, short, etc actually influence that much whether you find him attractive or not?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Personally I find longer hair attractive, but I wouldn't stop liking someone just because they had their hair cut :rolleyes:
Cutting/shaving hair and facial hair can make a guy look more or less attractive, but it wouldn't be the deciding factor for me - well it wasn't for my current BF.

I first knew him, with a long beard and fairly long hair (for a guy) but when he shaved his beard and tash I did go off him a bit, but that didn't put me off wanting to go out with him.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's a bit shallow to like someone because of their hair cut
I'm living in Russia at the moment, and there are so many otherwise decent looking guys sporting mullets. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
Just be yourself man, cut your hair however your want, if you just be yourself in life it will make sure you end up in the right place
I did actually go off someone once when they got their hair cut really short, when I was about 14! But no, not any more :smile: If you really like someone, their haircut won't matter a bit.
My friend and I were arguing about this the other day. I've got a serious thing about guys voices, at which point she laughed and said "No, it's all about the hair". Not as important as a nice voice to me, but I suppose that yeah, having a haircut that suits you makes you slightly more attractive. But you should stick to styles where you feel comfortable, no point getting one of those long floppy hairstyles that fall in front of your eyes just to get girls if your fringe drives you insane all the time, it'll just make you irritable. Or getting your hair cut really short just because you want to look more "macho" or something, when really you prefer having long hair. It's not that big a thing though, it's just hair. You can always change it.
Reply 8
I was with a guy with the most amazing hair ever and one day he cut it ALL off. When I saw him I was shocked, it made him look completely different! At first I thought I wasn't attracted to him anymore but it was just because I wasn't used to the dramatic new look.

I'm not shallow enough to stop liking someone purely because of their change of hairstyle!
I don't mind whether his hair is long or short...as long as he has some hair on his head!!!...bold does not do it for me!
I would guess that a guy's haircut can make them look more attractive, but the lack of a decent hairstyle wouldn't put them off you. If it did, then they were too undecided for a decent relationship anyway
Reply 11
To be fair, looks are relatively important in the early attraction stage... because that's what it's really all about. Attraction. So if someone goes for a drastic cut (not a couple of inches or something light) that really changes their appearance from the one they were initially attracted to, it's kind of natural to be a bit put off. If you're in a relationship and love them for who they are but then get put off just because of a haircut though, then that's pretty shallow.

Think about the Emma Watson pixie cut incident and the resulting reactions of her male admirers. :colonhash:
Reply 12
Original post by chriscahill9
Interesting. Like I said I don't let my hair get really long or anything just normal or a bit more. A lot of people have said that they like my hair because it's dark brown and quite wavy and a lot of people say it looks nice but I do really like myself with short hair.

Additionally I think some people really are shallow enough to stop liking someone because of their hair. Spanish people particularly (and this is true not xenophobic, etc) are known being particulary aesthetically orientated.

Actually I take it back, I think if a guy got a really bad hair cut that didn't suit him, I certainly would be put off. For example, if a guy decided to channel his inner Friar Tuck or got a 90's boyband inspired hair do, I would cringe. But obviously, that's unlikely to happen. As long as a guy is well presented and the hair suits him, I don't see why my attraction towards the guy would change.

You said that you like your short hair, so that's surely all that matters. If she doesn't like it then so what?

Original post by Nav_Mallhi
I don't mind whether his hair is long or short...as long as he has some hair on his head!!!...bold does not do it for me!

I quite like the bald look on some guys :colondollar: I never used to but recently I've seen quite a few really hot guys who've really rocked this look. None of my friends agree though!
I wouldn't say it's 'shallow' to find somebody less attractive if they grow/cut their hair or facial hair etc. It makes quite a big difference and come on, we're all human here, let's not pretend we all just look at a persons personality.

Assuming she did like you before, having your hair cut that short might just be putting her off you. If I saw a girl with a short haircut or some equivalent, it'd go a long way towards putting me off them and I wouldn't say that's shallow, it's just preference.
Original post by chriscahill9
Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong I've never got my hair cut or styled in a certain way to please anyone and I've had girlfriends, etc I was just asking as a point of interest really.

I said in an above post that what also has to be taken in to account is that this girl is Spanish so culturally it is very rare to see a guy with such short hair.

Yeah, I guess it can change things. My friend still teases me about an incident where I sent her an enthusiastic and emotional text (with lots of exclamation marks) when a guy we know got his hair cut fairly short. :lol:

I suppose you've got a point, if she's not used to seeing guys with really short hair it'll be kinda weird for her. Like if I suddenly found myself in a room full of guys with goatees. :lol:
Hair matters a lot more than you'd think.

Keep it clean and well styled. It says a lot about you.
Original post by thisisnew
I wouldn't say it's 'shallow' to find somebody less attractive if they grow/cut their hair or facial hair etc. It makes quite a big difference and come on, we're all human here, let's not pretend we all just look at a persons personality.

Assuming she did like you before, having your hair cut that short might just be putting her off you. If I saw a girl with a short haircut or some equivalent, it'd go a long way towards putting me off them and I wouldn't say that's shallow, it's just preference.

Relevant sig is relevant
Original post by IlexBlue
To be fair, looks are relatively important in the early attraction stage... because that's what it's really all about. Attraction. So if someone goes for a drastic cut (not a couple of inches or something light) that really changes their appearance from the one they were initially attracted to, it's kind of natural to be a bit put off. If you're in a relationship and love them for who they are but then get put off just because of a haircut though, then that's pretty shallow.

Think about the Emma Watson pixie cut incident and the resulting reactions of her male admirers. :colonhash:

Men and women differ when it comes to attraction though. Looks are a much bigger deal-breaker for men than for women.
Reply 18
Yes, depending how bad he looks afterwards.
Yes; Sergio Ramos is a case in point:

From this
Sergio%u00252BRamos%2BBest%2BSoccer%2BHairstyle%2Bhaircuts.jpg

to this.
Sergio%u00252BRamos%2BShort%2BHairstyle.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending