The Student Room Group

Lucid dreaming

Inspired by this post on 9gag:

http://9gag.com/gag/3468974

So does it work? Anybody tried it?

Results?

If a good feedback I'll give it a go in half an hour. Any comments appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I tried it once, and then I woke up. Safe to say I failed haha.
I am deathly afraid of sleep paralysis and I have been scared senseless from all the horror stories about it. Yes, I am a wimp :pain:
Original post by Delta_Aitch
I am deathly afraid of sleep paralysis and I have been scared senseless from all the horror stories about it. Yes, I am a wimp :pain:

i get sleep paralysis most nights, its not that bad! (once you're used to it, at first it is scary)
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Inspired by this post on 9gag:

http://9gag.com/gag/3468974

So does it work? Anybody tried it?

Results?

If a good feedback I'll give it a go in half an hour. Any comments appreciated :smile:

i think iv got the hang of lucid dreaming, you have to find your own way of doing it, following a guide off the internet won't really help.

what happened for me is i lucid dreamt by accident, then i just kept doing it sort of on command, but its weird. its all about your thoughts.
Reply 5
Haven't clicked your link but if you mean does lucid dreaming work then yes. Mine happen randomly now but when I first found out about LDing I kept doing 'reality checks' while awake, as in looking at my hand and counting the fingers. If you do it enough while awake you'll do it in a dream, and as in dreams you often have an incorrect amount of fingers for some reason, it'll just click.

Also almost all of mine happen if I'm awake for half an hour or so after a long period of sleep, and then go back to sleep. So say if I've woken up at 6 and gone back to sleep at half past.
Original post by MutantGecko
i get sleep paralysis most nights, its not that bad! (once you're used to it, at first it is scary)

But... the only thing worse than not being able to move is being trapped in your own mind.

I know my mind, it is not a safe place for unsuspecting wimps :emo:
Reply 7
Every time I try it I wake up.
Ive only had a couple lucid dreams in my life and i loved them!

being able to control dreams feels so cool.
But... the only thing worse than not being able to move is being trapped in your own mind.

I know my mind, it is not a safe place for unsuspecting wimps :emo:

i absolutely agree at first it is horrifying, but you get used to it, and can feel it coming when it does.

my mind isn't safe either, for myself or others :redface:
Reply 10
I don't need to. I remember my dreams every night and can't stop it :frown:.
i absolutely agree at first it is horrifying, but you get used to it, and can feel it coming when it does.

my mind isn't safe either, for myself or others :redface:

I guess it's a lot like drowning; you're told the more you panic, the worse it will be ...but you just can't help but panic :pain:

I will do a lot of things, but I know not to mess around with my mind because lord knows how much disorder a can take before they go completely insane. My mind legit makes it a point to say "nothing is out there in the dark, nothing at all" and then play scenes from horror films and flash scary images around until I am pretty much paralysed with fear in my own bead :rofl2:
I guess it's a lot like drowning; you're told the more you panic, the worse it will be ...but you just can't help but panic :pain:

I will do a lot of things, but I know not to mess around with my mind because lord knows how much disorder a can take before they go completely insane. My mind legit makes it a point to say "nothing is out there in the dark, nothing at all" and then play scenes from horror films and flash scary images around until I am pretty much paralysed with fear in my own bead :rofl2:

thats exactly right, iv never thought of it like that though, but it really is worse and lasts longer if you try and move.

yeahhh minds are ****. interesting how you say about the horror films though, i always have to sleep with the light on because of my imagination :P maybe we have similar minds...
thats exactly right, iv never thought of it like that though, but it really is worse and lasts longer if you try and move.

yeahhh minds are ****. interesting how you say about the horror films though, i always have to sleep with the light on because of my imagination :P maybe we have similar minds...

Maybe this is all a dream :zomg:

Maybe this is all a dream :zomg:

:eek: maybe, its someone else's dream :bl:
Reply 15
I want to try it, I think I've done it by accident before lol but I'm to scared :L
Is this kind of like when you fall asleep in a car, but only half asleep, so you are half aware of your surroundings? I have done this, I wake up instantly from them when someone speaks to me, and I find it hard to tell whether I have actually been asleep or not. I guess it's similar, but I can't really control what I dream about when this happens, and I normally don't dream during them anyway. (I'm not driving by the way!)

This thread reminds me of Inception :smile:
Tried it a lot doing it the long method (ie writing down your dreams every morning, consciously telling yourself to ask if your awake and take in your surroundings throughout the day etc) but with the method they're talking about on 9gag, I'll be lying there and I'll get an itch or something and it'll ruin it.

Just hold your breath and you'll snap out of it, 10 seconds maximum if you hold it on the exhale.
Very good link all about lucid dreaming (recommended read): http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dreams-faq/lucid-dreaming-faq/
I've read up a LOT on lucid dreams because I once had an LD where I was receiving oral.. ...from myself. It felt like a real blowjob, it was awesome. Then I woke up and wondered why the hell I couldn't do it anymore. Took me a minute to realise it was in a dream; that was disappointing. Never realised how realistic LD's could be, it's all to do with your brain being awake but your body asleep. You can feel pain, pleasure, everything you feel when you're awake. Never had one since then, and I've not put the effort into it. Have to record your dreams and do reality checks and get a regular sleeping pattern, and I can't be bothered with the effort. I'll get round to it at some point though.

Quick Reply

Latest