The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No, just stick to writing about how much of an asset you'll be to the university and how committed you are to the subject. It'll be a waste if you use it to make excuses. If they are seriously interested in you and want to know why your predicted grades are lower than they require they'll contact you anyway. Predicted grades are only a guide anyway.
Reply 2
Thanks 4 advice qubog!
Reply 3
Don't write them in your personal statement. Unis will use your predicted grades more than your AS grades. If you have real reasons as to why you didnt do as well as you hoped, you could get your reference to write something, but your grades are too *too* far away from predicted.
Reply 4
If your AS results were only like a couple of UMS marks off AAA, then beg your teachers to predict you AAA or AAB, beg your tutor to write a glowing reference and you shouldn't be affected too much.

My new Chemistry teacher predicted me a grade A for AS-level when I told her that I was doing Medicine, even though my end of topic tests suggested I was on course for a B. I suspect it will be the same again for A2 predictions will be similar but they can use my actual AS grades this time :p:
ur bit better off than me!!i got a d in my chemistry....wish me luck on persuading my chemistry teacher to predict me an A
Reply 6
Tami you got your work set out for you :smile:
Reply 7
Indeed, CRS is hard without the AS....
My school are so keen on getting people onto 'prestigious' course (their words, not mine) they'll predict you AAA if you say you're interested in med/vet med/law/oxbridge/etc even if your As's are DDEU (and that's a true example).
Reply 9
Which is why medical school admissions tutors frequently consider throttling heads of sixth form. Because they look after their own backs (In terms of "Prestige" and league tables) instead of considering the student and the medical schools.

To the OP: Depends on what your going to say. Do you have a reasonable factor (Illness etc) you would like the admissions people to take into consideration with your personal statement? In which instance, call the schools you're applying to and ask how they would do things, because different places do things differently on this one.
gap year?
then GET AAB
and boo yah your teachers
Reply 11
I would advice that you don't write it in your personal statement but get if there are extenuating circumstances get them mentioned in your reference.
I really want to do medicine, but i'm worried about my grades for this AS i have one exam left and I'm going to revise like crazy but I have to write my personal statement for medicine now, obviously, but when i get my AS results if they're not good enough i want to do Biomed then Medicine, would i be allowed to apply to biomes with a medical personal statement???
and this sounds ridiculous but i want to do medicine so badly, its the only thing i can see myself doing in the future but i can't put my desire down in words! does anyone else feel the same?
Original post by izzypetrie
I really want to do medicine, but i'm worried about my grades for this AS i have one exam left and I'm going to revise like crazy but I have to write my personal statement for medicine now, obviously, but when i get my AS results if they're not good enough i want to do Biomed then Medicine, would i be allowed to apply to biomes with a medical personal statement???
and this sounds ridiculous but i want to do medicine so badly, its the only thing i can see myself doing in the future but i can't put my desire down in words! does anyone else feel the same?

Why are you re-posting the same posts in very old threads?
Wait until you get your AS grades in August before you start going crazy.
If you're not predicted AAA for A2, then there's no point in applying.
It's easy to say you'll go for graduate entry, but how do you intend to fund it?
You still have 1 more year to pull your grades up, don't go making any hasty decisions.
Good luck.
(edited 11 years ago)

Wait for your grades, time will reveal all but in all honesty you're better off holding off from University and resitting to get your grades to the required level if they aren't what you want. Don't consider graduate entry lightly, it's incredibly competitive and hellishly expensive!

A lot of people feel the same way as you, me included, it's my passion too, but you need to stay calm and do all you can to make it happen. Resit, get the grades, reapply if necessary.

Original post by MattKneale
Wait for your grades, time will reveal all but in all honesty you're better off holding off from University and resitting to get your grades to the required level if they aren't what you want. Don't consider graduate entry lightly, it's incredibly competitive and hellishly expensive!

A lot of people feel the same way as you, me included, it's my passion too, but you need to stay calm and do all you can to make it happen. Resit, get the grades, reapply if necessary.

Gang-Raped-Necrophilia.
Reply 16
What's with all the ancient thread bumping?

Latest