The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack-
Got me one of these too, its a beast of a calculator!

It's great; normally if I have to lend it to someone I'll put it into matrix mode to confuse them. :tongue:

Haha reminds me of the time we changed all of our S1 teacher's calculators into table mode for her year 8 class. Their faces! :biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by LydiaC121
I have a Casio fx-3650P. heeheehee
and it's banned :P

Why's it banned? I've got the 991es and they don't seem that different.

Regards, Cynicism
The people walking around the exam hall didn't even know you were allowed to go to the toilet. I think the idea of calculators may be a bit beyond their understanding. >_>
Reply 63
I don't understand - my calculator (casio fx 9100?) - I can actually programme things into it - like I made a program that can work out some of my core 4 stuff for me. Surely that's not allowed?
Texas Instruments: TI-84 for c2 ?!?!?! anyone
Reply 65
TI-83+ allowed? Hoping for a quick reply
Reply 66
If its not on the list, it's fine.

Although, bring a spare one just incase.
Reply 67
Hey, I attached a document from Edexcel about the calculators.

"We frequently receive queries about two speci?c calculators ?– the Casio fx991es and the Texas TI-83 and TI-84 (all versions). These calculators can be used."

Hope this helps!
Reply 68
I have a Casio fx-9860GII is that okay?
Reply 69
Original post by Vulpes
Hey, I attached a document from Edexcel about the calculators.

"We frequently receive queries about two speci?c calculators ?– the Casio fx991es and the Texas TI-83 and TI-84 (all versions). These calculators can be used."

Hope this helps!

thanks...it seems mine is allowed then :biggrin:
Reply 70
By the looks of it the casio fx991es can do integration with limits and find out the area even using trig, so why is it allowed? I use a standard casio fx83 and as far as i know it has no integration :/
Reply 71
Original post by teshnit
By the looks of it the casio fx991es can do integration with limits and find out the area even using trig, so why is it allowed? I use a standard casio fx83 and as far as i know it has no integration :/

:shh:
Reply 72
Original post by ksahnan
:shh:

Hahahaa i bought a used fx991es for £6.50 off ebay hour after posting that, by god its amazing :biggrin: factorises, does quadratic formulae too, diffs, integrates with limits :P Maybe i should keep this quite but its only a gain for those who are clever enough to know the methods anyway, not like an idiot can just type it in and expect full marks, deffo gna be of great use just for final checks at the end of the exam.
loadsa further math students in school have those calculators that can draw graphs for u...its so annoying i mean why are they allowed?? those things make the freakin graph for u!! :eek:
Reply 74
Original post by teshnit
Hahahaa i bought a used fx991es for £6.50 off ebay hour after posting that, by god its amazing :biggrin: factorises, does quadratic formulae too, diffs, integrates with limits :P Maybe i should keep this quite but its only a gain for those who are clever enough to know the methods anyway, not like an idiot can just type it in and expect full marks, deffo gna be of great use just for final checks at the end of the exam.

Word of caution, don't expect to get FULL marks by just writing down the answer as you know you need to show them how you got there take 5 seconds and just put down some working like if it was a quadratic just put down the (x-a) (x+b) = 0, get me? Got this like 2 years ago it's a wonder that not many peeps are aware of its functionality. I've only met one other person who's got it and she has no clue how to use it! yeah and remember :shh: keep this on the low!
Reply 75
Original post by ksahnan
Word of caution, don't expect to get FULL marks by just writing down the answer as you know you need to show them how you got there take 5 seconds and just put down some working like if it was a quadratic just put down the (x-a) (x+b) = 0, get me? Got this like 2 years ago it's a wonder that not many peeps are aware of its functionality. I've only met one other person who's got it and she has no clue how to use it! yeah and remember :shh: keep this on the low!

Haha dont worry I'm borderline A* and never had this calc before, so i know exam technique but it's a bargain at £6.50 just to run through values at the end of the exam make sure the calc agrees with final answers,. Haha you shouldnt be keeping it that much of a secret, its not that much of a deal, just a helpful aid, :P although nice to keep boundaries low, but idc much, wouldn't make too much of a difference
Original post by cool_beans1993
loadsa further math students in school have those calculators that can draw graphs for u...its so annoying i mean why are they allowed?? those things make the freakin graph for u!! :eek:

They're graphical calculators and you could buy one if you wanted to - they're not banned.

Original post by teshnit

It's allowed because it doesn't do symbolic integration - it gives an answer if you put limits in but doesn't say for example, 2x becomes x2+c. The calculator is more of a checking tool for me than anything.
Original post by teshnit

Babe of a calculator. I know that my C2 and FP1 marks are going to be much better than my C1 marks purely on the fact that I can check for stupid mistakes. Such as 2-1=3. Which I actually wrote.
Original post by DFranklin

so is the ti nspire cx NON CAS allowed in a level exams? thanks
Are these the only banned calcutors?

As far as I know, my school does not permit ANY programmable calculator.
Reply 79
I find it quite funny that certain models are banned due to the ability for them to carry out certain functions; surely education should be considered training for professionalism - and what engineer (for example) would refuse a calculator on the basis that he might be able to do it in his head?

We've invented the technology to do the sums for us - modern mathematics should teach us how to do it, why it works (including how to do it) and we should be tested on our ability to use the tools available to calculate the answer.

I use an FX-991ES P, and it's not banned. But I can solve algebraic, simultaneous and even logarithmic equations without any rearranging. It goes straight in from the exam question.

But the exam question might be worth say 4 marks. Maybe if I tap it in, get an answer, I'll get 1 mark.

Why does that make sense? In the real world, solutions matter - not each stage of getting to the solution (unless you're running back through because you made a mistake) - so why is education for he real world no based on practices that are practiced (hmm) in the real world?

I could go on and on - and the point of course extends well beyond the use of calculators, in all subjects education should follow the practice of industry: it may be expensive but it's damn worth it if we'd like to continue to be a nation with some of the most outstanding scientists, engineers, and academics.

Calculators is the worst sin though. Why not use what's there?

Perhaps I'll borrow a sine rule from my dad - or my mum's abacus - to use in the exams in January.