The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beccac94
Oh cool I went to Twycross when I was little :P Did you get to choose which animals you work with?? Or was it just who needs you the most?

It was just the Pets @ Twycross section that wanted the help but its still really good I look after loads of animals from Rabbits to Alpaca and Wallabies :P

Twycross will have changed a lot since you went then, we now have snow leopards, WHICH ARE AWESOME :biggrin:

I'm sure you will enjoy Chester as its just so nice to be around the animals, especially the baby ones :P
Reply 8221
Original post by Davison1
Hellooo. I'm currently at uni in Lincoln and did a week on Intensive pig farm just outside the city (they also have an intensive poultry farm).. Realise it's not near B-ham but you could always give the free accomodation thing a try or try save up a little money and stay nearby. Hope goes well. Good luck for next year
http://www.portersqualityfeeds.co.uk/ Feed company, poultry farm and pig farm. Just drop e-mail regarding work experience.
:smile:

Thank you so much for the details :smile: I'm gonna try this and a few other contacts I've been given and see which one takes me on! I was really losing hope with this placement but things are looking up now. Thanks!
Reply 8222
Original post by Chloe0493
Would Desford be too far for you? I went to a farm there and I live in Warwickshire. The farm was fantastic and I learnt so much. Was sad to leave at the end of my placement as I learnt so much.

Thanks for the reply :smile: is that in Leicestershire? If it is according to google maps it's about 57 miles away :frown: pm the details anyway just in case tho.

In the end, I spoke to this lady from the National Pig Association and she said she should be able to find something for me :smile: she has to verify who I am first tho through my college because they sometimes get animal activists posing as work experience students :eek:

It's probably because of that farmer that committed suicide after an animal activist revealed footage of cruelty at his pig farm....however the farmer always said that he was never aware of any cruelty....very sad...
Original post by djvet
Thanks for the reply :smile: is that in Leicestershire? If it is according to google maps it's about 57 miles away :frown: pm the details anyway just in case tho.

In the end, I spoke to this lady from the National Pig Association and she said she should be able to find something for me :smile: she has to verify who I am first tho through my college because they sometimes get animal activists posing as work experience students :eek:

It's probably because of that farmer that committed suicide after an animal activist revealed footage of cruelty at his pig farm....however the farmer always said that he was never aware of any cruelty....very sad...

That probably is too far then, it is in leicestershire. I heard about that farmer it is really sad :frown:

The only other things I can suggest is to put an add in your local Countrywide store or contact the nearest Large Animal vet for help. Hope this helps. Good luck with finding your placement and good luck with your application next year :biggrin:
Reply 8224
That probably is too far then, it is in leicestershire. I heard about that farmer it is really sad :frown:

The only other things I can suggest is to put an add in your local Countrywide store or contact the nearest Large Animal vet for help. Hope this helps. Good luck with finding your placement and good luck with your application next year :biggrin:

Thank you! I will keep trying everywhere...the NPA sounds promising tho. Did you get in this year?
Original post by djvet
Thank you! I will keep trying everywhere...the NPA sounds promising tho. Did you get in this year?

The NPA sounds really good. I am starting at Bristol in October :smile: where are you thinking of applying next year?
Reply 8226
The NPA sounds really good. I am starting at Bristol in October :smile: where are you thinking of applying next year?

Aww cool! Congrats :smile: errmm not sure really...I only applied to Bristol for the 6-year and Liverpool for the 5-year one. Long story but yeah those were my only two options this year.

I like RVC and Nottingham but the BMAT puts me off a bit :s-smilie: I don't mind where I end up tbh as I'm nearly 26 so I'm in a hurry to start uni lol
Original post by djvet

I vaguely remember reading a mention of it in Pig and Poultry Marketing mag while I was on lambing duty. I hadn't heard much about it.
Reply 8228
Anyone know a good pig farmer in cheshire? Preferably outdoors for work experience?
Reply 8229
I'm sure there was a more informative article somewhere but I don't have the time to find it just now. http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/19/03/2012/132017/Pig-farmer39s-death-was-suicide-coroner-rules.htm
Reply 8230
Original post by jacko111
Anyone know a good pig farmer in cheshire? Preferably outdoors for work experience?

Don't know of any but you can contact the national pig association and they should be able to help you with some contacts
Reply 8231
Original post by djvet
Don't know of any but you can contact the national pig association and they should be able to help you with some contacts

Excellent will do that!
:smile:
Original post by djvet

So are you saying you think it's wrong for animal activists to expose cruelty on farms? Have you SEEN what goes on on some of them? e.g. http://tinyurl.com/7d8qmm4

If it wasn't for the undercover workers who are risking not only their safety but their emotional wellbeing (I certainly couldn't cope with that kind of work), even more animals would be experiencing a living hell than there are now.

Of course, I don't wish suicide on anyone, but I refuse to believe that farmer knew nothing of the cruelty, and anyone allowing that kind of thing to happen deserves at the very least to be exposed and shamed.
Reply 8233
Original post by Snuffleupagus
So are you saying you think it's wrong for animal activists to expose cruelty on farms? Have you SEEN what goes on on some of them? e.g. http://tinyurl.com/7d8qmm4

If it wasn't for the undercover workers who are risking not only their safety but their emotional wellbeing (I certainly couldn't cope with that kind of work), even more animals would be experiencing a living hell than there are now.

Of course, I don't wish suicide on anyone, but I refuse to believe that farmer knew nothing of the cruelty, and anyone allowing that kind of thing to happen deserves at the very least to be exposed and shamed.

I don't think she meant it that way.

I read it in more of a it's shocking that stuff like that has to happen, and that pig farms are giving their details away when there might be nothing wrong with them welfare wise, to get a person who is pretending to be a vet student and may not know he first thing about pig husbandry

Obviously all animal cruelty should be exposed and stopped, but it's a shame that in this day and age it still has to happen. Welfare should be our top priority

That's how I interpreted it anyway
Reply 8234

I wasn't referring to that...I was trying to say that is bad that animal activists are trying to pose as people like me trying to get work experience for a genuine reason....

I wouldn't want to get into a discussion about this farmer's situation because a life was involved which I think is a very sensitive issue...sometimes is very easy to point the finger when you're just an outsider (us).

And no, I don't condone cruelty either...I have been to a placement where things were very wrong in many ways. I reported the place to the RSPA so they could get help and not a punishment, but the RSPCA wasn't interested anyways...

So in other words I'm not disagreeing with you that cruelty should be exposed and stopped but it sometimes gives a bad name to others that aren't doing anything wrong
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8235
Original post by Lucy_x
I don't think she meant it that way.

I read it in more of a it's shocking that stuff like that has to happen, and that pig farms are giving their details away when there might be nothing wrong with them welfare wise, to get a person who is pretending to be a vet student and may not know he first thing about pig husbandry

Obviously all animal cruelty should be exposed and stopped, but it's a shame that in this day and age it still has to happen. Welfare should be our top priority

That's how I interpreted it anyway

Exactly....as future vets, this is one of the thing we're gonna have to encounter....in fact cruelty comes in many shapes and forms such as allowing your pet to get morbidly obese is also cruelty
hmm, does anyone here live in edinburgh by any chance? i heard something today that just made me really have doubts about going to edinburgh. my mum was talking to her friend today and according to her, one of her other friend's daughter went to edinburgh university to study economics (or something finance related) but she was forced to leave because she experienced so much racism. my question is....is edinburgh really that racist? :/ i'm oriental asian and obviously i don't like to be racially abused (i have to admit, one of the reasons i didn't apply to liverpool was because i experience a lot of racism when i went to visit....and i was only out on the streets for something like 20 minutes?). the two times that i've visited edinburgh have been wonderful experiences and no one has ever made me feel uncomfortable but i'm just wondering whether i was just lucky or something :/
Reply 8237
Original post by dizzeedollee
hmm, does anyone here live in edinburgh by any chance? i heard something today that just made me really have doubts about going to edinburgh. my mum was talking to her friend today and according to her, one of her other friend's daughter went to edinburgh university to study economics (or something finance related) but she was forced to leave because she experienced so much racism. my question is....is edinburgh really that racist? :/ i'm oriental asian and obviously i don't like to be racially abused (i have to admit, one of the reasons i didn't apply to liverpool was because i experience a lot of racism when i went to visit....and i was only out on the streets for something like 20 minutes?). the two times that i've visited edinburgh have been wonderful experiences and no one has ever made me feel uncomfortable but i'm just wondering whether i was just lucky or something :/

You really must not give up your dreams on hearsay! If you go and experience any racism then do something about it... but dont leave!
Reply 8238
Original post by dizzeedollee

Nopenopenope. Although I suppose it does depend on who you encounter. I have lots of friends that are not from Britain/white and not once has anybody ever said anything to them, some of them have been there for nearly 10 years now. My high school friend is Indian and she now lives in Edinburgh and is so much happier, she used to be racially abused at high school but no one has said a bad word to her since moving, people in Edinburgh seem much more accepting. I'm aware that this is only a few people amongst millions in Edinburgh, and it's very likely that there will be some ignorant people there, but don't let it put you off. We're going to vet school (!) which is such a close and friendly community, I really can't imagine that looking a little different would illicit that behaviour.

i'd just like to point out that the undercover worker was there for 2-3 months and at no point did they go direct to the farmer about the cruelty that they witnessed. yes, animal cruelty needs to be addressed, but there are better ways to go about it. once again i don't really believe that animal activists actually have animal welfare at heart - otherwise why would they wait six months to release the footage? they just wanted it for their next controversial campaign, not to actually improve animal welfare. anyone who actually cared would have spoken to the workers' employer in the first instance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending